300D - Image Focusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

camelid

Jun 28, 2004
Hi all, I bought my 300D 1.5 weeks ago and have been testing it out. NONE of my pictures turned out crisp and clear. Lens used: EF-S 18-55mm (bundle) and EF 28-80mm (turned out slightly clearer than the bundled lens).

It was on auto-focus. Has anyone encountered this? Could it be the calibration problem? Please help - no reply from Canon yet.

What can I do?

Dun tell me have to write off a 1.5 weeks-old camera :(

Thanks. :dunno:

how did you test? the problem might be you rather than the camera/lens if you didn't press the shutter properly. I've seen cases where the photographer jerked the camera a lot with every pressing of the shutter.

blame the lens :D
welcome to the never-ending cycle of buying lenses
have a nice day!
:bsmilie:

the kit lens can produce clear images. of course it will definitely lose out to other great lenses, especially the 135 f/2; which is a damn sweet stuff

no edit button? to add on, pls try to post ur pic so that we can have a look at it. if u need temporary space to host the pics, can PM me... i can spare u abt 10MB of disk space to store n link ur pics for abt 2 weeks ;)

camelid said:
Hi all, I bought my 300D 1.5 weeks ago and have been testing it out. NONE of my pictures turned out crisp and clear. Lens used: EF-S 18-55mm (bundle) and EF 28-80mm (turned out slightly clearer than the bundled lens).

It was on auto-focus. Has anyone encountered this? Could it be the calibration problem? Please help - no reply from Canon yet.

What can I do?

Dun tell me have to write off a 1.5 weeks-old camera :(

Thanks. :dunno:

Have u tried use greater DOF?
Most lens dun work well when wide open which means the smallest f number

U can experiment that by shooting one pic with f3.5 and another same pic with f8.0, both with flash. Notice the difference.....

I don't think its the kit lens, I've taken lots of pictures using the kit lens and it works very well for me. Below are some samples taken from the lens.

30621425.jpg

29702947.jpg

I had this exact problem when I first started using the 300D. Later I found out that it is due to handshake rather than the camera or lens itself. So now I shoot with slightly higher shutter speed or ensuring my hands are not shaky or move right after pressing the shutter.

You should try to do some experiment like mounting your camera and taking some shots using your autofocus. And try the same shoot mount free and see the differences.

Read my thread post http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=69838 and tried the above experiment and confirmed that it was due to my shaky hands.

Give it a try, won't hurt.

Good luck.

saifulbahar said:
I don't think its the kit lens, I've taken lots of pictures using the kit lens and it works very well for me. Below are some samples taken from the lens.

30621425.jpg

29702947.jpg

I had this exact problem when I first started using the 300D. Later I found out that it is due to handshake rather than the camera or lens itself. So now I shoot with slightly higher shutter speed or ensuring my hands are not shaky or move right after pressing the shutter.

You should try to do some experiment like mounting your camera and taking some shots using your autofocus. And try the same shoot mount free and see the differences.

Read my thread post http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=69838 and tried the above experiment and confirmed that it was due to my shaky hands.

Give it a try, won't hurt.

Good luck.

I'm amazed u took the second pic with a kit lens..i think its time i buy a good tripod and drop the idea of complaining any lens. :D

nice pics u have there!
ur setting for this pic? Did u do any PS on the background?

rainman said:
nice pics u have there!
ur setting for this pic? Did u do any PS on the background?

For the 1st pic, the background was PS using Lens Blur.

Exposure setting for the 2nd pic was 30s at f/11. No PS on this one except for the usual unsharp mask and cropping.

the kit lens is horrible wide open. need to stop down to f/8 at least to get decent sharpness.

The pictures will of course look sharp on the web. Go print a 8x10 and check the sharpness then decide if it really was the KID's lens fault.

but seriously after f/8 it aint that bad. only a little soft around the corners.

Wow, thanks for the discussion. Appreciate it very much. Have been testing over this week. Now loading the pics onto my laptop and sending in the pictures taken with my EOS500N for developing and print. hence will post up the test shots in a day or 2 *sorry, maybe within a week.

mpenza: confirm not a handshake problem...... :( Not so chor lor :embrass:

Initially though was 300D's LCD's fault (as compared with Sony *77), so loaded pics taken by 300D and Sony and world of difference. All talk, no gain, have to see pics........ thanks....... please view this post next week *appreciative

....... One technical problem...... I cannot (am not allow to) post attachments. Can anyone help? Admin? *thanks

Got space online....... uploading not a problem anymore...... ;p

For it's size, weight, price (well, if u bought in a kit anyway), i think the kit lens is pretty good for super lightweight travel photography.

Check out my New Zealand Pics. All taken using the kit lens. Need to stop down quite a bit to get acceptable sharpness though.

But even then it's of course not as sharp as "better" lens. Trust me, you can see the quality difference (sharpess, contrast, saturation, etc) even on 4R sized prints (Cropped/resized to 300DPI).

My advice is to get the hang of the camera first before deciding to upgrade ur lens. Cheers! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.