300D - Image Focusing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Denosha: I agree with the part on light travel photography kit....... but it doesn't mean that I have to put up with a quality less than an Olympus miu compact ;) does it? [Olympus miu series have excellent quality as a compact camera]

I have been using my current EOS 500N with humble kit lens (EF28-80mm) and Sigma APO 70-300mm for years and the only complains I have is due to my technique and shaky hands....... get what I mean?

Anyway, all talk no pictures mean nothing. I will use a friend's Sony F77's as comparison.

Thanks for viewing.

the difference when you compare with the EOS 500N is that you're now viewing the 300D's pic on screen (where you could zoom in to 100% - equivalent to a poster size prints from film), while pics taken with the EOS 500N are usually printed.

comparing with another digital camera is a good start... or you could try the sample images at dpreview.

Hmm...pardon me but does it warrant a complain session with soft digital photos from the 300D? My two cents worth:

- 90% of the time the photo is not going to be seen at 100% size. The same way you don't develop everything in 8R, 10R for your film prints.

- Photos from DSLRs tend to be 'softer' due to the less aggresive sharpening algorithm applied to it compared to P&S digicams.

Of course, you can solve the problem by getting a new lens. :)

Hi all,

finally, :thumbsd: :thumbsup: :think:

following saifulbahar's original post http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=69838 and
Oracle0711 recommended Focus Test http://www.photo.net/learn/focustest/

my results are as follows. Not sure what to conclude. please advise..... thanks.

All 4 photos are taken at 5.6f with 300D's kit lens EF-S 18-55mm at about 0.5m from the object, camera on tripod, shutter activated manually.

Image 1 is on Autofocus (AF), single focus - center

crop1.jpg

Image 2 is on MF, single focus - center
crop2.jpg

......... to continue​

....... continued

Discovered that when I switch to multiple focus pt mode and use the same center spot as focus, the focus seems out somehow. Any sense to this?

Image 3 is on AF, multi focus pt - center
crop3.jpg

Image 4 is on MF multi focus pt - center
crop4.jpg

Another question: is DSLR supposed to be "take what you see"? Cos mine doesn't. The pictures will include about 5-10% of the bottom lefthand corner not viewable through the viewfinder. :dunno:

i bumped into someone just now who told me that 300D only sees 95% of the picture from the viewfinder. That's why it is at this price range. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks.

Thanks!

camelid said:
i bumped into someone just now who told me that 300D only sees 95% of the picture from the viewfinder. That's why it is at this price range. Can anyone comment on this?

Correct. Wat u pay is wat u get. The 10D is also not 100%. Only the 1D/1Ds are 100%

THEN I am TEMPTED to sell my 300D for Olympus 750 :cool: blind man

Well, both needs tripod under most normal circumstances (Olympus, a little better), both crops top right corner, Olympus a little lighter (lighter tripod too), Olympus can add multiplier/ de-magnifier, add filters, record avi some more, Olympus is definitely cheaper than 300D.

Not to start a "war" on this - but I am rather disappointed (expectation too high?) :bheart: I am only an amateur

What's the REAL value of 300D then? Only constructive comments please :thumbsup: serious......... ok?

Think about it, a DSLR have to add on "good" lens eg: EF 2.8f to take decent photos, that's too much for me to take ........ :cry:

camelid said:
THEN I am TEMPTED to sell my 300D for Olympus 750 :cool: blind man

Well, both needs tripod under most normal circumstances (Olympus, a little better), both crops top right corner, Olympus a little lighter (lighter tripod too), Olympus can add multiplier/ de-magnifier, add filters, record avi some more, Olympus is definitely cheaper than 300D.

Not to start a "war" on this - but I am rather disappointed (expectation too high?) :bheart: I am only an amateur

What's the REAL value of 300D then? Only constructive comments please :thumbsup: serious......... ok?

Think about it, a DSLR have to add on "good" lens eg: EF 2.8f to take decent photos, that's too much for me to take ........ :cry:

OK, I think the problem is that you expect the 300D to perform similarly to a P&S. By similar I mean the photo you take right of the box looked similar. Now what happens in the 300D is that it leaves certain decision to you, the photographer. For example, contrast, sharpen and saturation. If you want P&S like effects, feel free to set your custom parameter set, put sharpen +2, saturate +2 and you'll see what I mean.

I own the 300D for 2 days and I'm a very very happy man. You may also need to know abit on color management in order to get the best. I compared the pics between my 300D and G1 and I can honestly says that the 300D re-produce color faithfully (of cos you need a well calibrated monitor). The lens I used is the 50mm f/1.8. You may also want to try out this lens. Cost about $150 new.

Advantages of the 300D over the Olympus 750? I don't know. But I can say in confidence that the AF and shutter lag sure beats the 750. The next thing is of course the clean ISO 400 images and very usable ISO 800 images. At ISO 1600, it's better than no pics (or blurred pics). With the hack, you can have ISO 3200 but I've not tried that. That said, ultimately, you're the one who will decide what you want. If you feel that the 750 meets your needs more than the 300D, then by all means get the 750. I'm sure a lot of guys here will gladly unload your 300D :D

Regards,
JK

Hi all,

seems like no one wants to comment on the test.........

Anyway, here is another shot using the kit lens, handheld, AF at 1/60 5.6f focus pt on the cat's left eye, about 0.8-1m from subject.

test_cat.jpg

I personally find this rather soft. Does anyone else feels the same?

Thanks for your comments.

Actually, the pic is quite sharp. You could see details of individual whiskers and fur. If you don't mind, I did an auto level and applied a little bit of sharpening:
test_cat_sharpened.jpg

camelid said:
Hi all,

btw, regarding your test above, did you use a high resolution printer on coated paper or laser printer? you could try taking pics of articles in magazines.

anyway, just go out and shoot. you have a very capable camera that takes great pics.

camelid said:
Hi all,

Anyway, here is another shot using the kit lens, handheld, AF at 1/60 5.6f focus pt on the cat's left eye, about 0.8-1m from subject.

I personally find this rather soft. Does anyone else feels the same?

Thanks for your comments.

Hi, which parameter set you use? If you use parameter 2 or AdobeRGB, it may appear a little soft and muted.

Regards,
JK

mpenza said:
btw, regarding your test above, did you use a high resolution printer on coated paper or laser printer? you could try taking pics of articles in magazines.

anyway, just go out and shoot. you have a very capable camera that takes great pics.

I printed it in the lab Fuji FDI. Will try taking pictures from the magazines. As for the cat test, sharp? So, so only, I am sure though the kit lens, should be able to do better, Just need to know how to!

Status
Not open for further replies.