3 way head vs ball heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blasles

Aug 2, 2006
What are the main difference with these two type of heads? why do ball heads appear to be more popular? thanks :)

ball heads got no sticks pointing out that can poke u... and thus it is smaller and more convenient..

however if you like to do panning, a 3 way head is better as it allows u to move ONLY verticall, horizontally etc...

But with a ball head, its very hard to do panning..

thus if u just want a thing to support ur gears and to shoot a scene and no panning, just get a ballhead will do

There are also ball-heads that allows one to rotate horizontally. Hence panning horizontally is possible.

If you're doing architecture shots and want to do proper leveling, then a 3 way head makes the job easier because you adjust one axis at a time. A ball head is free in all axes once it's unlocked and it is very difficult to just do tilts without affecting anything else. There are pros and cons in each of them so depends on your needs

if in doubt, i would get a ball head.. just more flexible..

If you get a "Cheap" ball head, you will wish you hadn't wasted the money.
Cheap ones grab and stutter.

3 way pan heads are easier to keep panning horizontal as well as panning vertical (in relating to level).

3 way pan heads are heavier than ball heads though. I bought a Monfrotto magnafibre tripod (very light) but the head is heavier than it :cry:

Cheers :)

Canew said:
There are also ball-heads that allows one to rotate horizontally. Hence panning horizontally is possible.

Agree. My Manfrotto 488RC0 is one example. But ball heads are less precise than 3-way pan heads.

After using ball heads, i dont use pan heads. Ball head is simply easier ans quicker. I use sprit level attached to the hot shoe if I want more precise leveling

usually ballhead are much better and easier to use... but it is much more costly than a pan tilt for the same stability. :cry:

I just love the flexibility of ball heads. Fast composition and a lot easier to use.

hey thanks all i'm thinking of gettting a benro tripod with maybe a ballhead any one tried these tripods?:)

blasles said:
hey thanks all i'm thinking of gettting a benro tripod with maybe a ballhead any one tried these tripods?:)
Benro is affordable and good... but I'm not sure if they have infringed any of the major tripod/head manufacturer's patents/copyrights. If they do, you might have a problem bringing it into Europe (if you're ever going there for tour). The tripods look like copies of Gitzo and the ball heads look like copies of Arca.

lsisaxon said:
Benro is affordable and good... but I'm not sure if they have infringed any of the major tripod/head manufacturer's patents/copyrights. If they do, you might have a problem bringing it into Europe (if you're ever going there for tour). The tripods look like copies of Gitzo and the ball heads look like copies of Arca.

Benro products have been to PMA USA this year, and will be Photokina this month. :)

Link for Photokina, Benro

lsisaxon said:

sounds like safrotto is to domke

Status
Not open for further replies.