3-legged mother of expensive carbons!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JermsDayOut

Aug 19, 2003
www.instagram.com
As i searched the forum for information on a suitable tripod, I became more and more discouraged that i can't find any with a ball head that's with a carbon structure for $600.

and there's too much information overload on my shoulders now... i'm gonna let my grey matter rest.

any kind soul out there who can recommend a tried and tested carbon tripod with a ball head package that won't blow the 600 - 700 range?

i'm 1.7m tall and hope to find something at that height.

i'm not brand conscious :)

thanks

U could try out those Velbon Carbon Fiber ones in EastGear... think they are some 499-599 range for the legs only... then add a manfrotto ball head and it will still be within your budget... :D

Why do you need a CF tripod in the first place? Is it weight, to look good, or you need to harness the supposedly good resonance attenuation property of CF tripods?

any ball head to recommend that's within the $200 range?
I'll probably be getting the velbon that costs about 570.

JermsDayOut said:
any ball head to recommend that's within the $200 range?
I'll probably be getting the velbon that costs about 570.

But if you mate a regular Manfrotto ballhead like 488RC2 (800g, $135) to it, you'd be making the setup heavier, negating any weight savings which you are aiming for. It's like taking 3 steps forwards and 2 steps back.
You might as well get something like a Pro500DX with Markins M10 head, same weight and price and much better handling with the superior head.

but hor, the thing about good ball head is they usually dun come with the QR plate... get a good ballhead meaning have to spend more on a good plate... *OUCH*

I'm comtemplating the Velbon 640 with the AUBall(plus plate)... but tat would amount up to more than 1k liao.. :cry:

why do you need a Carbon fibre tripod? $200 manfrotto not good enough?

finally went down to try my hands on the velbon and other tripods at eastgear and cathay.

yes, though the velbon was a worthy contender for the weight issue, but i figured, 570bucks was out of my league. perhaps tahan and "train" with the weight issue but pay more focus on something sturdy which will last me many more years to come.

i finally decided on the gitzo 1226 Mk-II model which allowed me 170cm full extension. Also, with a weight of 2.1kg, was one of the lighter allow bodies around that could give me the height and weight-loading requirements.

i then had to decide on 3 heads, the manfrotto 468 pro ball (1kg), the manfrotto 488 MIDI ball head (0.5kg) and the giotto m1000-200 (0.5kg).

While the 468 was indeed tempting (by it's sheer solid structure), it's 1kg was a huge dissuader for me. between the popular 488 and the new-kid giotto, i decided to give the giotto a try because it allowed me to upgrade my head system at a cheaper platform than the manfrotto's.

And so alas ends my tripod anxieties. I've got a 2.6kg alloy to work my biceps and triceps. What's even better is that the entire package costs only $500!! wow! way way below what i had intended in the first place.

thanks for all the help guys. appreciate it.

hi, recently i'm considering getting a tripod for myself too, my old tripod is breaking daily and getting more unstable. I am considering the explorer and the G1226. just wondering how much is the G1226? if the G2220 is only slightly more i'll just get the explorer instead

hey guys.. why dont you people consider a Linhof tripod selling for about $450++ at pro-photo linhof is a german brand that manufactures some of the best large format cameras on earth.. so these tripods surely will hold some good weight.. i personally find it extremely stable for its light weight.... just say jeff recommend you if you wanna buy
check it out http://www.linhof.de/english/

erwinx said:
why do you need a Carbon fibre tripod? $200 manfrotto not good enough?

Light. dun wanna to get a heavy tripod that, due to it's weight, would ends up standing in my room more often than outside... ur cam equipment setup is heavy enuf aledi (body + another body + lens + another lens + another redundant lens + misc )... dun wanna add another tripod tat would weight me down more... :D

haiz... no mooneeeyyy...~!!

yeah, its always about the weight. Especially if you dun drive.

I would like to recommend this china brand

http://www.e-boffola.com/doce/gsjj.htm

After the reading the spec, feel can give it a try.

Tried to email them, but no response :(
should be cheaper

anyone has tried be4 ?

Reyon said:
I would like to recommend this china brand

http://www.e-boffola.com/doce/gsjj.htm

After the reading the spec, feel can give it a try.

Tried to email them, but no response :(
should be cheaper

anyone has tried be4 ?

arr... BENRO, This is the brand... tat mimic Gitzo very ultimately one leh... even the model numeric namings similar to the gitzo...

TCW have some stock of these tripod. why not check it out?... I personally think, there is some quality problem with these tripod... thou they are MUCH cheaper than the Gitzo Counter part...

I, would like to hear from anyone that owns these tripod..

hmmm... wat made you say they got quality problem rosschang? but yep, i agree that they really copied gitzo in everything man... even the website they copy. hahahaha :)

quekky: the 1226 Mk-II i got it for $355 inclusive gst. from cathay

anyone knows if MS colour also sells tripods and heads? cos they are sure cheaper than cathay in almost everything leh...
just curious :)

JermsDayOut said:
hmmm... wat made you say they got quality problem rosschang? but yep, i agree that they really copied gitzo in everything man... even the website they copy. hahahaha :)

quekky: the 1226 Mk-II i got it for $355 inclusive gst. from cathay

anyone knows if MS colour also sells tripods and heads? cos they are sure cheaper than cathay in almost everything leh...
just curious :)

The Benro? some experience while playing around with it in TCW... mebbe it's a faulty demo set... the legs construct, the locks, and ankle bracket... hmm... something is just not right...

MS Color? yes they do sell tripod and heads and monopods... check out their Ang Mo Kio branch.

JermsDayOut said:
And so alas ends my tripod anxieties. I've got a 2.6kg alloy to work my biceps and triceps. What's even better is that the entire package costs only $500!! wow! way way below what i had intended in the first place.

thanks for all the help guys. appreciate it.

Hi Jerms,

I hope you're saying this not because you're just beginning to use a tripod! I was in your position some time back too... on the pretext that I can feel gungho or work whatever arm muscles by carrying a heavy tripod. In the end, I found I had been lying to myself all along! The tripod ended up at home most of the time and I finally decided to sell it away. It's a great tripod for its stability but not practical, especially if you want to carry it around often.

Just my opinion... if the tripod suits you, that's great.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.