+3? +4? +10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
What are these? How do they work?

Thanks!

I think to get an answer here you will have to give a context to take it in.. Could be most anything as you have presented here.... More details = more help in this case!

Mike

Originally posted by Evilmerlin
What are these? How do they work?

Thanks!

Sorry for the lack of details to my question.

I read some post that mentions the use of a +3 filter or such and was wondering what these are for.

Originally posted by Evilmerlin
Sorry for the lack of details to my question. I read some post that mentions the use of a +3 filter or such and was wondering what these are for.
You're most probably referring to close-up "filters" (strictly speaking, they're not just filters but auxiliary lenses). These basically reduce the focusing distance of your lens so that you can move physically closer to your subject and still be able to achieve proper focus. They essentially work the same way as magnifying glasses, so just think of it as putting a magnifying glass in front of your lens. The +1, +2, +4 etc figures are the diopter ratings of the close-up lenses; the higher the number, the greater the reduction in focusing distance. These lenses are mainly used to facilitate close-up and macro photography in the absence of a true macro lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.