2q on zone system, exposed to right & histograms

CamInit

Nov 3, 2009
1) Am I right to generalize by saying Zone System (or its modern adaption) is more suitable for taking JPEGs and while exposed-to-right for RAW? Or am I on the wrong track?

2) The follow up question would be, if I take a RAW shot. Does the histogram from image playback after the shot represent the actual 14-bit (say, for 500D) RAW or the JPEG review? If it's only the JPEG review, then how to get exposed-to-right correctly or accurately in the first place? I can't find any mention in the manual.

Thank you.
:)

1) Am I right to generalize by saying Zone System (or its modern adaption) is more suitable for taking JPEGs and while exposed-to-right for RAW? Or am I on the wrong track?

2) The follow up question would be, if I take a RAW shot. Does the histogram from image playback after the shot represent the actual 14-bit (say, for 500D) RAW or the JPEG review? If it's only the JPEG review, then how to get exposed-to-right correctly or accurately in the first place? I can't find any mention in the manual.

Thank you.

The internet is your friend. And so is Google.

zone system is useful for photography.

second one, don't know, but if you nailed the exposure, you nailed the exposure.

zone system is useful for photography.

second one, don't know, but if you nailed the exposure, you nailed the exposure.

Exposing to the right is a technique to deliberately over exposing a picture right before any blown highlights occur. This actually helps to caputure more detail in the RAW image. This technique also require that PP be done to tone it back down. I use it quite often actually.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

Thank you.

Expose to thr right is only applicable in RAW. The histogram is a graphical representation of a reading of values, and the image preview is only a rough indicator of what those values translate to. The jpeg image preview is not a be-all-and-end-all preview, regardless of how fantastic marketing departments make them out to be.

I would Google 'Using the zone system with a DSLR'.

You will find many engaging discussions on the topic.

Also, http://www.erickahler.com/articles/zonesystem.html

I'm sure Jed wil be here soon to contribute. :)

Last edited: