2nd Photo Critique - X-Pro Sunrise Photo

ClemC

Jun 12, 2010
Within myself
X-Processing Film Effect on a Digital Image
DSC_0908_CP.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Old Film Techniques, what do DSLR users feel about such methods (Cross-Processing in this case)? and Composition in this shot.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
Sunrise mood. In this case, the silhouettes of the mountain range.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Early morning, getting there in the COLD weather but feel warm inside. Out of three days of sunrise, only one day was good. :(

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
Quite like the use of silhouettes feel, Quite OK sunrise shoot. For this Image, it is the X-Pro effect that I want to present.

Last edited:
X-Processing Film Effect on a Digital Image
DSC_0908_CP.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Old Film Techniques, what do DSLR users feel about such methods (Cross-Processing in this case)? and Composition in this shot.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
Sunrise mood. In this case, the silhouettes of the mountain range.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Early morning, getting there in the COLD weather but feel warm inside. Out of three days of sunrise, only one day was good. :(

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
Quite like the use of silhouettes feel, Quite OK sunrise shoot. For this Image, it is the X-Pro effect that I want to present.

IMHO This effect does not do Huangshan justice... There are many other ways to shoot 童子拜观音. Did you get to see the sea of clouds during your visit?

IMHO This effect does not do Huangshan justice... There are many other ways to shoot 童子拜观音. Did you get to see the sea of clouds during your visit?
Just playing around with Cross-Processing Technique (from film days).. maybe I was tooo nostalgia when I created this picture. Point taken.. Thanks for C & C.

Bro Daredevil - You obviously been there :) I still dont know which part is the "童子拜观音", maybe you can enlighten me one day. I was tooo lucky :( most of my days there was sunny!!!.. NO CHANCE to see "sea of clouds" :angry:

I like the silhouette outline and the overall colors... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just playing around with Cross-Processing Technique (from film days).. maybe I was tooo nostalgia when I created this picture. Point taken.. Thanks for C & C.

Bro Daredevil - You obviously been there :) I still dont know which part is the "童子拜观音", maybe you can enlighten me one day. I was tooo lucky :( most of my days there was sunny!!!.. NO CHANCE to see "sea of clouds" :angry:

5202296911_cde97bc33e_o.jpg

Bro, Guanyin is A. And the virgin boy kneeling down is B.

Did you stay in Bei Hai (north sea) or Tian Er (swan) for you to be able to catch the sunrise at this view?

Same for me when I went to Huangshan. Day one was sunny as hell, no sea. Day two was foggy as well, no sea as well. Shucks... Here is one of my take that came out sort of ok...

3788637616_1c28f2af1a.jpg

Last edited:
Bro, Guanyin is A. And the virgin boy kneeling down is B.
Did you stay in Bei Hai (north sea) or Tian Er (swan) for you to be able to catch the sunrise at this view?

Same for me when I went to Huangshan. Day one was sunny as hell, no sea. Day two was foggy as well, no sea as well. Shucks... Here is one of my take that came out sort of ok...

Now I know the location of 童子拜观音 :) , stayed in Beihai.. Nice shot, where exactly was it taken? too many places, tooo many great scenes :)

IMHO This effect does not do Huangshan justice...
I like the silhouette outline and the overall colors... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

X-Processing Film Effect on a Digital Image - 2
DSC_2385_CP.jpg

Daredevil, I didn't put up right picture for the X-Processing effect (since that is what I want to emphasis).. maybe this one is better :)

Lekech, glad you like the first picture, if you like the colors (X-Processing), guess you might also like this one..

Last edited:
i have seen many sunsets, but i have never seen a green sunset.

X-Processing Film Effect on a Digital Image - 2
DSC_2385_CP.jpg

Daredevil, I didn't put up right picture for the X-Processing effect (since that is what I want to emphasis).. maybe this one is better :)

Lekech, glad you like the first picture, if you like the colors (X-Processing), guess you will also like this one..

Now this is nice! Love the lighting on this one. A wider view would be nice too.

That is one thing I regretted... that I did not own a UWA when I visited Huangshan. I went with a Nikon D40x, 18-55 non-vr, 55-200vr and 50/1.8

Last edited:
i have seen many sunsets, but i have never seen a green sunset.
Saw a recent program about "lomo photography" where they try double exposures on the same frame, soak film in special solution (uri**) before processing, etc.. just bring back some memories. X-Processing is one of the effect in those days where you purposely develop a film (from a particular brand) in the chemicals of another brand :) .. that is why there is a strong tint of green & yellow.. In those days, it is a "cool' effect. Nowaday, it is definitely easier to do such an effect in PP..

Guess this effect is not very well by DSLR users :)

That is one thing I regretted... that I did not own a UWA when I visited Huangshan. I went with a Nikon D40x, 18-55 non-vr, 55-200vr and 50/1.8
18mm is still not WIDE enough for you :)

Saw a recent program about "lomo photography" where they try double exposures on the same frame, soak film in special solution (uri**) before processing, etc.. just bring back some memories. X-Processing is one of the effect in those days where you purposely develop a film (from a particular brand) in the chemicals of another brand :) .. that is why there is a strong tint of green & yellow.. In those days, it is a "cool' effect. Nowaday, it is definitely easier to do such an effect in PP..

Guess this effect is not very well by DSLR users :)

you see, i am well aware of xpro.

i xpro quite a bit for my cat photos, and the rare portrait that i do.

my point is, i'm not sure if xpro is a good effect to use when the sun is present. this is just my view, i'm sure we also don't see blue shadows for cats, but i think it is much more disorientating when you see a green cast when there is a sun.

my point is, i'm not sure if xpro is a good effect to use when the sun is present. this is just my view, i'm sure we also don't see blue shadows for cats, but i think it is much more disorientating when you see a green cast when there is a sun.

I'm relatively new to CS and have not checkout all your postings :) .. Will look at some of your x-pro work soon.. I'm sure you will present it well.

As for the explaination of X-Pro, dont mean to explain to you, I was just highlighting it in my post to other potential viewers (who might not know) what x-pro is.

I dont think any editing techniques (even B/W) present us a real view of what our eyes see.. but we are definitely comfortable with B/W and some techniques. X-pro is not for everyone and everything. I understand your "disorientating view" and point taken.. Will try it on other siubjects in the future. I guess one man's meat may be another man's poison. :)

feels like a 山水画 feel somehow:think:

2008113161241328_2.jpg

almost the same sia the mountains and sky

feels like a 山水画 feel somehow:think:

almost the same sia the mountains and sky

yes, i noticed that a lot of chinese photographers like this color palette.

it is scary for me... but that's me, like i mentioned earlier. :)

yes, i noticed that a lot of chinese photographers like this color palette.
it is scary for me... but that's me, like i mentioned earlier. :)

nightmare - me chinese, older, (think that I am a) photographer.. fit your profile perfectly.. that explain why I like this green sunrise/set color palette.. LOL

can help me zoom in (range of pages to look) for your xpro pics. I saw your 38 pages "cats" pages and 200+ images.. ;p

Last edited:
Nightmare - Thanks, much appreciated. Like the light xPro touch you applied and the feel of a low saturation/light blue tint feel.

I need to learn this approach to the way I see color as I find my current "color palette" toooo vivid and tooo saturated.. need big white/black border to tone things down.. I like this less saturated, more pleasing color palette.. is this more of a modern approach?

Much, much appreciated.