2nd Opinion abt Nikon5700

Status
Not open for further replies.

plush

Jan 7, 2003
Visit site
hi to all,

this is my 3rd thread and i'm so proud of myself fer join the most happening photography community in sg! ;)

i've a prob. i'm able to get a 2nd hand 6mths old NIkon 5700 for sg$1150. it was bought in China. owner sellin becoz hes upgradin to a DsLR.

so i'm seekin the opinion of the fellow kind forumers abt it and wad to look out for.

TIA

regards.
plush

Is time for you to fight for the vertical Grip :devil:

Originally posted by plush
it was bought in China.

Where is it made? Those selling in Singapore are made in japan.

There won't be warranty covered by Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd, I hope you realise that :) if you feel fine, do go ahead and get it :)

Check the lenses, make sure there isn't any scratches, the lens make up at least 50% of the camera's cost!

Do bring a laptop along so that you can take some shots and then download and view for dead pixels. Take one with the lens cap on, it should be easier to see dead pixels.

Make sure the LCD panel is dead pixel free too. And the viewfinder (no pun intended to viewfinder :D ) too.

Lastly, do get the MB-E5700 vertical grip. Although there's no shutter/aperature control on it but it is a great source of power supply and for portrait picture taking.

It's a good camera except that AF isn't particularly fast and battery life is bad without the additonal vertical grip. Get it!

Originally posted by mpenza
It's a good camera except that AF isn't particularly fast and battery life is bad without the additonal vertical grip. Get it!

I've a CP5700 too. I think that getting an extra battery is better and cheaper than getting the verical grip.
Just my 2 cents worth.

I have a 5700 too. My advice is to check :

1) phsyical defect, look for bumps and scratches on lens. To ensure that the DC has never been dropped.

2) mechanical failure. Zoom the lens in and out extensively, make sure it is easy going with some smooth "motoring" sound. Nikon coolpixes have been known to have jams in their motor functions.

3) electronic failure. Make sure all the electronics on the DC works as it is suppose to. Make sure all the buttons activate some functions.

4) LCD, look out for dead pixels as discussed.

5) check where that piece is made, it shld say Japan and not any where else. This is because for 5700, it is only manufactured in Japan as per the higher end models.

Originally posted by jeff chen
mechanical failure. Zoom the lens in and out extensively, make sure it is easy going with some smooth "motoring" sound. Nikon coolpixes have been known to have jams in their motor functions.
A friend brought his CP5700 to the beach. The sand got struck in the bellow of the lens, causing extensive sratches. Removal of the sand is also difficult.

This happens for most cameras where the lens can zoom in and out. Warnings are usually stated in manuals regarding the usage of cameras in snady places.

hi all,

many thanks to all who had replied. i've decided to go for the one in the shop! betta to buy 1st hand...will be savin as of now! ;)

cheers.
plush

Don't forget the battery pack!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.