2nd Lens!

Fung9889

Aug 14, 2011
Hi! i've used my canon 550d for a year with 18-135 kit lens and i am now thinking of gettting a 2nd lens (probably a UWA since i am travelling a lot and i'm interested in landscapes). I have done some research on some UWA lens but i need some advice and maybe opinion on which to get?? Thanks in advance for the help and advice!:D

1. Canon 10-22 F3.5-4.5
2. Tokina 11-16 F2.8
3. Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6
4. Tamron 10-24 F3.5-4.5

Not again.... *grumbles...too many uwa topics out there.*

For the above listed, I'll remove Tamron from the list after I read my reviews that time....

- Tokina is unmatched for the sharpness in the list and is f/2.8 (afaik, For landscapes you will be using f/8 > ).
- Sigma have a good value in terms of IQ and Price. Focal length is also slightly better as compared to Tokina's 16mm end.
- Canon 10-22, the most expensive in the list but VERY resistant to flare as compared to the rest in the list.

All UWA you read online have it's compromises as in, either "too expensive" or "not as sharp", or "too short focal length at tele end" etc, get the best "compromise" you can afford and start playing with it.

Hope it helps.

I started a UWA thread a couple of months back so I'm also guilty of this...hehe.

The best advice I can give is to do a search 'recommended UWA lens' here. My limited knowledge tells me the top contenders are the Canon 10-22 and Tokina 11-16. Go to shops and try them out. Or rent them and try them for a day or two :D

The purists will cringe at this.

Consider panorama stitching. Not the in-camera ones. Use portrait layout shots

It's a way you can avoid uwa cost n use a 'better' lens, avoid uwa image distortions with a less wide lens

It's a way you can avoid uwa cost n use a 'better' lens, avoid uwa image distortions with a less wide lens

So panorama stitches do not have distortions? hmmm

daredevil123 said:
So panorama stitches do not have distortions? hmmm

They still do. Can never avoid that.

Just that images from a 50mm (35mm) will have much less than those from a 16mm. The stitching will add some of it's own

It's a toss between getting the scene vs 'proper' photography

TS, two questions which you should answer alone, before going further
1) In which does your kit lens restrict you or does not deliver what you need?
2) What specific questions do you have about the lenses after reading the reviews?
If you can't answer the questions put away your money.

I have both the Nikon 18-200 and the 12-24. Most of the time when I travel I only bring along the 18-200, which I find is adequate for most of the sceneries. When I do need wider, I can just do a panorama. That saves me the trouble of bringing an extra lens. :)

qystan said:

How about UWA panoramic shot?

They still do. Can never avoid that.

Just that images from a 50mm (35mm) will have much less than those from a 16mm. The stitching will add some of it's own

It's a toss between getting the scene vs 'proper' photography

even at 50mm there will be distortion in the stitched photo if there are perspective elements in the photo.

Last edited:
you can still stitch. How it will distort will depend on several things like perspective, rotating axis of camera and nodal point, number of frames, settings in your stitching software, etc.

I have both the Nikon 18-200 and the 12-24. Most of the time when I travel I only bring along the 18-200, which I find is adequate for most of the sceneries. When I do need wider, I can just do a panorama. That saves me the trouble of bringing an extra lens. :)
The result between a stitched shot and a similarly wide single shot can be quite different and this is not only just the distortion. Anyway, this is all down to personal preference and work flow.

coolthought said:
you can still stitch. How it will distort will depend on several things like perspective, rotating axis of camera and nodal point, number of frames, settings in your stitching software, etc.

I know. It's a rhetorical question.

The result between a stitched shot and a similarly wide single shot can be quite different and this is not only just the distortion. Anyway, this is all down to personal preference and work flow.

Haha yes, but that is acceptable to me. :)

hi guys! thanks for the opinions/advice! shall go look at the lens again and consider the questions! i dont think i'm for stitching my photos tgt so i should be getting a new lens=)

Cowseye said:

Wow, pano greater than 360 deg ;-)

kei1309 said:
i had no idea there was anything greater than 360 degrees. 369 i know. they're a bloody thirsty gang

It's a camera that shoots into the 4th dimension