2nd hand Speedlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myyong

Aug 25, 2006
Hi all,
Does Flashes like the Speedlight have a life span (i.e. 5000 operations)? As a newbie, is it worth buying 2nd hand speedlight or just go for a brand new SB-800? :sweat:

there isnt a fixed rating like shutter life as flash can e fired at different output..
If ur looking for long term heavy usage, its would be better get a new one as you are not sure how heavy was the previous owner's usage. But there are some ways to try to tell if the flash is dieing. :)

myyong said:
Hi all,
Does Flashes like the Speedlight have a life span (i.e. 5000 operations)? As a newbie, is it worth buying 2nd hand speedlight or just go for a brand new SB-800? :sweat:

you can nv guess when electronic will fail....My second SB800 is almost 3yrs old...still running strong...

My friend brand new SB800 went to NSC after 2weeks of use...

westwest1 said:
you can nv guess when electronic will fail....My second SB800 is almost 3yrs old...still running strong...

My friend brand new SB800 went to NSC after 2weeks of use...
my sb600 went to Nikon Holiday Resort twice in the first 3mths after buying. :dunno:
1st was becos i accidentally dropped from my chair... 2nd was some unknown problem :dunno:

hmm.....guess might as well get a brand new one.....thanks for the advices, folks! question is....should i get sb600 or sb800?...

myyong said:
hmm.....guess might as well get a brand new one.....thanks for the advices, folks! question is....should i get sb600 or sb800?...

actually if you dont really need CLS you can consider other flashes
im using 1 SB800, 2 SB600, also have an SB80X(which i got 2nd hand relatively much cheaper than SB800) and i find it good enough for for stand alone flash :)

XC Pictorial said:
actually if you dont really need CLS you can consider other flashes...
you saying sigma can?

ExplorerZ said:
my sb600 went to Nikon Holiday Resort twice in the first 3mths after buying. :dunno:
1st was becos i accidentally dropped from my chair... 2nd was some unknown problem :dunno:

Maybe 2nd time was having recurring nightmares of falling off from chair? :dunno:

myyong said:
Get a SB-600 and if you think its not enough for you after knowing the flash, sell your SB-600 here and get a SB-800. Not worth getting the SB-800 if you cant fully utilise it.

XC Pictorial said:
there isnt a fixed rating like shutter life as flash can e fired at different output..
If ur looking for long term heavy usage, its would be better get a new one as you are not sure how heavy was the previous owner's usage. But there are some ways to try to tell if the flash is dieing. :)

so how can you tell when its dying??

Maybe I am lucky, but I have used Canon, Metz, & Sunpak flashes, and never had once failed me and or needed to go checkup...:confused:

Dogfish said:
so how can you tell when its dying??

You can try to see if its heavily used by looking at the elements inside..
also fire a few shots at urself see if its yellowish..

Status
Not open for further replies.