2nd hand SLR Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Hi all;

Anyone have any idea at all for a decent camera body with a suitable lense for portraiture shooting?

Budget is ard SGD$300

Kindly advise.

Cheers! :)

PS: Either System is fine with me... No pref. :)

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Hi all;

Anyone have any idea at all for a decent camera body with a suitable lense for portraiture shooting?

Budget is ard SGD$300

Kindly advise.

Cheers! :)

PS: Either System is fine with me... No pref. :)

$300 will get you a nice Nikon mechanical body like a FE, but no lens. ;p

Regards
CK

Yes, alas for that money, you'll be struggling to pick too much up. Possibly one of the Nikon badged FE10s or FM10s. Alternatively, try and dig out a Nikkormat and a 105/2.5.

it is also possible to pick up a used EOS500 with a kit lens...

my friend just got one at $220, condition quite good for the price.... seen a few around for $250

Originally posted by rueyloon
it is also possible to pick up a used EOS500 with a kit lens...

my friend just got one at $220, condition quite good for the price.... seen a few around for $250

I dunno, but I'd rather have a more solid FE/FM/FG or even a Canon AE-1/AE-1 Program than the plastic EOS 500. ;p
Regards
CK

Hmm... well, i am still sourcing ard.

Not rushing into a purchase as yet...
Thanks for all the well meaning advise. :)

Art2D2: Thanks for your offer, i'll keep it in mind. :)

Very important, i reckon would want the lense that is best suited for portrait shots (eg. large aperture like F1.4 {But then again, is a large aperture like F1.4 recommand for portrait shots to start with?})

Kindly advise. :)

f1.4 is a little overkill for portraiture, I think f2.8 is more suitable. Anyway its quite hard to find a f1.4 lens other than the 50mm prime, I believe other f1.4 lenses will be quite expensive.

If you are serious into portraiture get a prime lens around the range of 100-150mm, f2-f2.8 thereabouts. No hard and fast rule about that, it's just what's usually recommended.

Alternatively, you can buy a cheap 50mm f1.8 plus a cheap 2X TC, which will give you 100mm f3.5, total about $250. The cheap TC will give you a built-in 'soft' effect, hehe. But this is just the poor man's option lah, cuz image quality will suffer.

Originally posted by Tweek
f1.4 is a little overkill for portraiture, I think f2.8 is more suitable. Anyway its quite hard to find a f1.4 lens other than the 50mm prime, I believe other f1.4 lenses will be quite expensive.

If you are serious into portraiture get a prime lens around the range of 100-150mm, f2-f2.8 thereabouts. No hard and fast rule about that, it's just what's usually recommended.

Alternatively, you can buy a cheap 50mm f1.8 plus a cheap 2X TC, which will give you 100mm f3.5, total about $250. The cheap TC will give you a built-in 'soft' effect, hehe. But this is just the poor man's option lah, cuz image quality will suffer.

So for the prime lense, how much would it cost?

Originally posted by Tweek

Actually, the f/1.4 lenses tend to have better glass and better bokeh, even if not used at f/1.4, should give you a much better result. :) But yeah, they are too expensive. :(

Regards
CK

Heh, EM with 100/2.8 E or 85/2.

Originally posted by ckiang

I dunno, but I'd rather have a more solid FE/FM/FG or even a Canon AE-1/AE-1 Program than the plastic EOS 500. ;p

well i suppose u can take a portrait shot with no lens attached to the more solid FE/FM/FG for $300.

yeah...sounds like the better deal......who needs lenses anyway??

Originally posted by Red Dawn

well i suppose u can take a portrait shot with no lens attached to the more solid FE/FM/FG for $300.

yeah...sounds like the better deal......who needs lenses anyway??

Well, buy the lens. Much better deal than settling for EOS 500 + cheap lens.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Bluestrike
Wolf : just save the money and wait /.......

I agree.

Thanks Tom.

Even now, i think my photos are still not up to scratch... si until i am very comfortable with my shots with my DC and it doesn't turn out soft, then i will get an SLR... :)

I agree.

Thanks Tom.

Even now, i think my photos are still not up to scratch... si until i am very comfortable with my shots with my DC and it doesn't turn out soft, then i will get an SLR... :)
yes.. wait young one.......
be patience....

I don't agree in waiting until you are good, then get a SLR. By then, why do you still need the SLR? :D

I believe in getting a lens that give you some flexibility in exploring DOF, lowlight, handheld, and usable in a variety of situations. The cheapest of such lens is the 50/1.7 lens. It may not be easy to use -- it's not wide enough for group shots indoors, for example -- but when you outgrow it, you can sell it off to another newbie.

Remember to start off well. Get one roll of normal ISO 400 film, shoot and treat yourself at one of the pro labs.

Bro,

Rem that I got the Nikon 85mm f1.8D lens .... .that is quite supperb in protraitures shots already ...... There is an even higher fr Nikon of abt same length, but so much exp .... I would say you try ur best on Digi shoot first, and accumulating cash and get a good one. A sigma 2.8 and a Nikon 2.8 lens is so much differen in price and quality. For good quality aim for Nikon or Canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.