2nd hand Nikon D1X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Jan 20, 2002
shashinki.com
What is the market price for a 2nd hand/USED Nikon D1X now?

Is it still worth buying?

How many shots can the battery of D1X last? Is there a 3rd party battery for it? New one how much? ;p

Around $2.2-2.5K should get you a good set.

It's still a lovely camera for it's colours and DR, not forgetting ISO125 ;)

The battery lasts anywhere between 300-350 shots in Singapore weather, each battery is the same price as an EN-EL4 near towards $180 region.

D1X is definately still a good camera to get.
The memory upgrade is a definate must to get. A bigger memory buffer means you can shoot a bit more before the camera has to download to the card.

Check if there is memory upgrade before buying ... otherwise will have to spend close to $370 to do the upgrade in SIN.

Batteries are still available and 3rd party batteries are available from EastGear ... at about half the price. 3rd party battery life is not bad in warm weather condition.

RGDs

I am using D70 now, will D1X a significant upgrade?

What I find lacking in my D70 are:
1. Poor colour accuracy
2. Poor dynamic range especially in highlight and shadow areas
3. Very noisy at ISO400 and above (which I dont like)

Kho King said:

1. Poor colour accuracy

Sorry to dissappoint you, but a 5 year old camera (pro model or not) is not going to improve on any of the three points you've mentioned. In fact, it'll just be worst. And I certainly wouldn't say the D70 has poor colour accuracy (dependent on WB) or 'very noisy' ISO800 or 1600 photos. Maybe you should just consider shooting film.

KK: I am guessing you are still in Japan now, take your time to search and sometimes you will find D1X going at 1.5k SGD.

Kho King said:

1. Poor colour accuracy
Yes..

thoa_rs said:
Sorry to dissappoint you, but a 5 year old camera (pro model or not) is not going to improve on any of the three points you've mentioned. In fact, it'll just be worst. And I certainly wouldn't say the D70 has poor colour accuracy (dependent on WB) or 'very noisy' ISO800 or 1600 photos. Maybe you should just consider shooting film.
Sorry to dissappoint you, but I've used before the D1X, and I'm very sure KK's concerns are pretty well met with the D1X upgrade.

i don;t think the D1X is that expensive at S$2.5k laa..

but maybe the potential buyer should take note of the battery issue of the D1 series. what a headache!:bsmilie:

but for me, i'll top up a'lil more and get a used D2H!!!:thumbsup:

Cheesecake said:
i don;t think the D1X is that expensive at S$2.5k laa..

but maybe the potential buyer should take note of the battery issue of the D1 series. what a headache!:bsmilie:

but for me, i'll top up a'lil more and get a used D2H!!!:thumbsup:
I wouldn't come to that if I were you bro, give up a 6mp to go to 4mp feels more like a downgrade to me even though the D2H is a well respected high-end camera. I will only buy a D2H/Hs if I wanted a camera strictly for covering events photography where resolution is not that critical. Otherwise, everything I shoot would be done at the highest resolution camera I have.

Andy Ho said:
I wouldn't come to that if I were you bro, give up a 6mp to go to 4mp feels more like a downgrade to me even though the D2H is a well respected high-end camera. I will only buy a D2H/Hs if I wanted a camera strictly for covering events photography where resolution is not that critical. Otherwise, everything I shoot would be done at the highest resolution camera I have.

dependent on ur own need. there're many pixel peeps around. the megapixel myth.

anyway, don't go OT.

Cheesecake said:
dependent on ur own need. there're many pixel peeps around. the megapixel myth.

anyway, don't go OT.
Hmmm I won't say lesser pixels equate down/up-grade.

However, when dealing with H and X series, they're both good in their own areas. I'll stick with X for the colours and DR, 5MP or 4MP is quite not so important to me as a consumer.

And yes, the 1X can open up the NEF in 6MP or 10MP. Hee.

Why so troublesome?
Rent the potential candidates and do a test.

Others will have their views on certain cameras, but in the end, its your $$ and it is your call to decide which camera suit you better.

Smart move! Rent a D1X or borrow if someone you know has it. Test it out. From what I understand, D1X produce top notch quality with noise free pictures, better than the D2X which I am using. But don't take my word for it as I don't own the D1X, I heard only.

andy ho and beachboy, when K.k says D1x he means he wants to hear response about the D1x and not about whether topping it up to get the D200.

i hope you guys can contribute more to K.K by giving him answers to this questions.

D1x is a good cam to me. i used it for a week only, but i like its colours alot. judging from the time i used the D1x, its already 2-3yrs old already...

if i am not wrong, the 6MP file to 10Mp file is because of the Pixel Density of the ccd.

on the overall, as a 1week user of D1x, i can say is its one of the best cameras i used. ;)

i agree with scanner, y nt rent a set and try it out ? hahahaa.. you will be surprised with the camera's performance. and make sure u get a good set to test it out !!!

the only thing i was really fussy about at that time was the vertical dial buttons. tats all.. other then tat. no probs.. :thumbsup: bulit like a tank.

glennyong said:
andy ho and beachboy, when K.k says D1x he means he wants to hear response about the D1x and not about whether topping it up to get the D200.

i hope you guys can contribute more to K.K by giving him answers to this questions.

D1x is a good cam to me. i used it for a week only, but i like its colours alot. judging from the time i used the D1x, its already 2-3yrs old already...

if i am not wrong, the 6MP file to 10Mp file is because of the Pixel Density of the ccd.

on the overall, as a 1week user of D1x, i can say is its one of the best cameras i used. ;)

i agree with scanner, y nt rent a set and try it out ? hahahaa.. you will be surprised with the camera's performance. and make sure u get a good set to test it out !!!

the only thing i was really fussy about at that time was the vertical dial buttons. tats all.. other then tat. no probs.. :thumbsup: bulit like a tank.

Good take....glennyong!

D1X is still and will be one of the best DSLR. Colours are still very vibrant. I am still using D1X as my back-up...and D2H as working horse......haha.

Kho King, it still up to you to decide whether you want to buy a slightly older technology but if your photo skills are consistent any cam in the market will do. D1X has been out for quite sometime and to me(my own opinion) and it's still one heck of a DSLR. No need to be a D200. Kalau boleh angkat gambar, guna film camera pun boleh.....haha!

Good luck on your purchase!

KK

I use a D1x (and still have it), D70 and D2x. I'll not talk about D2x since it is not what you are looking for.

D70 is a consumer camera and its color is tweaked as a consumer camera. Its color is very pleasant and saturated (but not very accurate). It produces very good pictures for most of the people (mainly consumers). If you are very particular about color accuracy, D1x is very much better than D70 (D2x is even better). D1x raw file can "up scale" to 10MP and still very good. I have produced 24x36 pictures easily from D1x. It is a very good camera even at today's standard. I'm still keeping it and using it often. But the D70 is a very handy camera with good features, I also use it often for casual shots when I don't want to carry too heavy a camera.

CIO, when you say up scale D1X raw file to 10MP, is D70 RAW file can be up scale as well?

Kho King said:
CIO, when you say up scale D1X raw file to 10MP, is D70 RAW file can be up scale as well?
Nope. The D1X has an option in nikon capture to open as a 6MP or 10MP file. D70 is 6MP as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.