2nd hand lens without warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

hecter85

Mar 13, 2009
Hi I was wondering if it's ok to buy lenses that doesn't have any warranty but is like 1-2 years old? Logically speaking it won't anyhow break down right?

i bought a second hand Minolta lens
at least 15yrs old.

As long you check the condition and request 7days personal warranty shld be ok.
If die die want to have a piece of mind then best get brand new from shop.
:)

I guess it depends on the built quality of the lens, some lens are bulit for 50 year usage. I am using two old minolta lenses which were made in 1980s. They worked perfect.

most lens are well built. most seller wun deliberately sell faulty stuff.

anyway, when u buy, u test the stuff. happy w it, then buy.

anyway, even if u buy new, kanna a lemon guess wat will hapen? u bring back to the shop, listen for some crap from the salesman, put in the shop for 3 mth (they will tell u send back factory or some other crap), listen to more crap when u call and enquire, 6 mth later, when u finally gave up, and decude to get back the lens, they return u immediately (cus it has never left the shop), or the somehow get it workin, but charge u, cus not covered under warranty.

my opinion is that modern products are pretty good, wun spoil easily. but, they are not made to last too. spoil = throw.

unlike leica lens etc. but they cost maybe 10x more.

For modern lenses, it is a lot of touch-and-go. They have more electronics than the older mechanical lenses, and hence more prone to breakdown, front-back focus issues. In my own experience, I had a 2-3 year old Tokina lens conk out on me and had to spend $80 for some components to be replaced. There is hearsay that the earlier versions of VR in Nikon lenses are more prone to malfunction than the later versions. Note: Hearsay only.

ok tks for all the inputs. Guess it bolt down to whether u feel comfortable ba.

think buy 2nd hand warranty is a +point and good to have. If you want warranty then the guy who sell you have used it less than 12+3mth and find that the lens does not suit his style and want to sell you.

Asking condition (for >5years old :dunno:) is more important than warranty i think. Can have warranty but got problem want to sell away also possible...then think got warranty just buy without checking properly:sweat:and complain.

For 5-20 years stuff will have to ask seller personnel 1-3days warranty is agreeable:thumbsup:

Just check that the lens is in good condition and that is no crack or dent. Glass have not scratch, clean and clear. Test on your camera that is working fine then buy.

Hi I was wondering if it's ok to buy lenses that doesn't have any warranty but is like 1-2 years old? Logically speaking it won't anyhow break down right?

Warranty is a bet about possible breakdowns. You pay the premium already when you buy a new lens (and it's not a grey set), the manufacturer only pays once it breaks down. Do you want to bet or take pictures? :)
If you are concerned about problems with first batches of certain lenses just google for your favourite lens and add 'problems'. Should give you enough cases and patterns are visible. Have a look at FM Reviews for user feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.