2nd hand goods - got warranty meh ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lensman

Feb 12, 2002
Singapore & Hong Kong
This I must vent out.

I sold a A300 phD camera about 3 weeks ago, via a buddy. It is my spare camera (I had a 300D &, S50) which I keep in office for taking shots of some products. Seldom used.

Buyer offered $30 lower than my asking price, I accepted it. It is almost 1/3 of the current model.

It was in, hmm, 9/10 condition as I hardly used this compact digi cam. Box and unfilled warranty card, manual & canon's CF card.

The buyer tested the camera's function, paid and left. My buddy said something like "if there is anything can call him."

Fast forward 3 weeks+ later.

The buyer called up saying that the camera not working. Called my buddy , who met the buyer (& wife + baby) and tried to trouble shoot. No go. Then called me, saying that the buyer wants a "CASH BACK".

Met the buyer who insisted that he has been sold a dud. I was taken back !

My stand is this. It is 2nd hand sale. No warranty or whatever promised.

I duno what he did during these 3 weeks, which could have caused the camera to not function. I dun want to spectulate but seeing him with a little kid and that baby stuff carrier that he is carrying the camera box in, I also have my reservations.

Buyer insist that his experience as seller, he always give some form of assurance to his buyers. Like how many days, if not working, then can take back.

Fair enough, but we did not agree to this during the sale. And also THREE weeks leh.... isn't that a bit unreasonable ? If it is the next day or say within a few days - less than 1 week. I think I can still accept this action by the buyer.

On cash back, lets say this. I like to consider the possibility that he "changed his mind" and wants his $$ back. Fine. But I said, I sold a working condition camera. Now you return a non working camera to me, EITHER want me to send to Canon for repairs and I pay for it Or his money back ? Oh, how unreasonable I feel the buyer was.

So, my question here is this :

U as a seller, what is the reasonable "personal warranty" time that you would allow ? 1,2,3,5,7 days ?

What other points will you raise when giving such a personal warranty

Input appreciated

selling vehicles I would consider giving 2 weeks

cameras and small stuff... 1 week MAX

Oh, I forgot to add.

Finally , the buyer stood up and muble something about bad experience. He shook the hands of my buddy and me and then left.

if someone wants to get a 2hand stuffs, there is always risk here and there, if he cant confirm how to test, dont buy , ask him to get new from a shop....

who knows what the hell the buyer did to the camera he just got 2hand??? anyhow press?? drop?? then say want to return??? what is tis???

I think max is 1 week, and provided there are no additional nicks on the equipment.. 3 weeks is too long already..

Lensman said:
This I must vent out.

I sold a A300 phD camera about 3 weeks ago, via a buddy. It is my spare camera (I had a 300D &, S50) which I keep in office for taking shots of some products. Seldom used.

Buyer offered $30 lower than my asking price, I accepted it. It is almost 1/3 of the current model.

It was in, hmm, 9/10 condition as I hardly used this compact digi cam. Box and unfilled warranty card, manual & canon's CF card.

The buyer tested the camera's function, paid and left. My buddy said something like "if there is anything can call him."

Fast forward 3 weeks+ later.

The buyer called up saying that the camera not working. Called my buddy , who met the buyer (& wife + baby) and tried to trouble shoot. No go. Then called me, saying that the buyer wants a "CASH BACK".

Met the buyer who insisted that he has been sold a dud. I was taken back !

My stand is this. It is 2nd hand sale. No warranty or whatever promised.

I duno what he did during these 3 weeks, which could have caused the camera to not function. I dun want to spectulate but seeing him with a little kid and that baby stuff carrier that he is carrying the camera box in, I also have my reservations.

Buyer insist that his experience as seller, he always give some form of assurance to his buyers. Like how many days, if not working, then can take back.

Fair enough, but we did not agree to this during the sale. And also THREE weeks leh.... isn't that a bit unreasonable ? If it is the next day or say within a few days - less than 1 week. I think I can still accept this action by the buyer.

On cash back, lets say this. I like to consider the possibility that he "changed his mind" and wants his $$ back. Fine. But I said, I sold a working condition camera. Now you return a non working camera to me, EITHER want me to send to Canon for repairs and I pay for it Or his money back ? Oh, how unreasonable I feel the buyer was.

So, my question here is this :

U as a seller, what is the reasonable "personal warranty" time that you would allow ? 1,2,3,5,7 days ?

What other points will you raise when giving such a personal warranty

Input appreciated

Then just let it be lor..Whybring itup again?

Lensman said:
Oh, I forgot to add.

Finally , the buyer stood up and muble something about bad experience. He shook the hands of my buddy and me and then left.

To put it simply, you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to sleep well, then buy 1st hand, if you want to save money and buy 2nd hand stuff, then you'll have to accept the risk of buying a second hand item. As long as the item wasn't misrepresented and a resonable time was give to discover any fault, you're on your own from then on.

It doesn't matter what's a "reasonable time" for 2nd hand warranties - if it wasn't agreed to (as in your case), there's nothing he can do.

Who is this guy so we can avoid selling things to him (and ask him for 3 weeks warranty if we buy from him).

I have some experience in both buying & selling on both Spore Yahoo Auction & Ebay...

My thoughts...

If the item has some kind of warranty left thru official receipt & warranty card. State clearly so. If it doesn't have any warranty, then make it clear to potiential buyer...

For sure i won't offer wat 'personal warranty of watever days'... of course your conscience must be clear lah, want to sell sell something that is useable...

3 weeks later that buyer wants to meet up to complaint that the item doesn't work etc... to be honest, i won't even want to entertain or meet up with him. It is 3 weeks later & not 3 days or 3 hours later.

Lots of things can happen to a camera in 3 weeks: could have been dropped, could have gone swimming, or worse still, could have gone swimming in the toilet bowl then owner take hair dryer and dry it then complain not working :bsmilie:

3 days is reasonable. 3 weeks is ridiculous for a camera

jeryltan said:
Then just let it be lor..Whybring itup again?

Well, I just buay song lor and want to seek opinions on how others manage their 2nd hand buy & sell issues. Thats all.

Not naming names here as I felt that we walked away from the table without a fist fight.

But the way this case pops up, just implicate my buddy and me indirectly. Make me :angry:

Have cake and eat it, would be a good way of describing the buyer's attitude. I hoped he won't pass this onto his little kid.

Chao kuan ppl alot.

Seems that ppl's automatic button spoil liaoz these dayz.

take a look at B&S, many put up unfilled warranty cards as part of package even when warranty has expired. I feel this might be misleading.

The unfilled warranty card is only useful when camera is still under warranty cover, so that when you bring the camera into the service centre, you wun have problem proving that you are the owner of the camera. Other than that... :dunno:

Well to me.. 3 weeks is too long.. 1 week is more than enough to access whether the equipment is working properly.. But since he has stopped pursuing, or so I presume, then just forget about it lor..

Lensman said:
Well, I just buay song lor and want to seek opinions on how others manage their 2nd hand buy & sell issues. Thats all.

Not naming names here as I felt that we walked away from the table without a fist fight.

But the way this case pops up, just implicate my buddy and me indirectly. Make me :angry:

Have cake and eat it, would be a good way of describing the buyer's attitude. I hoped he won't pass this onto his little kid.

jeryltan said:
Well to me.. 3 weeks is too long.. 1 week is more than enough to access whether the equipment is working properly.. But since he has stopped pursuing, or so I presume, then just forget about it lor..

Aiya, I think this guy is just trying his luck. If you have been there alone and a newbie at selling, maybe he thinks he can psycho you to refund him. :bigeyes:

That's why is impt. to ask for receipt, even with / without the warranty card..

yanyewkay said:
take a look at B&S, many put up unfilled warranty cards as part of package even when warranty has expired. I feel this might be misleading.

The unfilled warranty card is only useful when camera is still under warranty cover, so that when you bring the camera into the service centre, you wun have problem proving that you are the owner of the camera. Other than that... :dunno:

To me...second hand goods sold is not refundable.....if there is any, it should be within the next 7 days and subject to case by case basis.....For this instant, I think 3 weeks is a little too long....suggest you ask him to go Harbourfront service central to get it repair......I believe the manufacturer is more than happy to help him if it's genuine case....of coz he will bear the cost of any replacement parts since he is enjoying the discounted price liao :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.