2nd-hand DSLR : what to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Germinc

Aug 17, 2005
hErE lAh
Finally save and earn a bit of $$ to buy 2nd DSLR... ;p

I am lookig betw Canon 300D and Nikon 70D. Just to take picture of me and frens and sometimes nice places. Budget only $1300-1400. :sweat:
Can the bros and sis here advise what I must look out for? TIA!
:)

Buy a new D50, more worth it.

Look out for shutter count, mirror sound and internal condition(CCD or CmOS).

Do a few shoot on the spot and transfer to a computer to check.

If can ask for personal warrenty from the owner foto copy his IC if u want.

well, if Germinc has saved enuf for either a canon 300D or a nikon D70, then yeah. makes sense to actually get a new nikon D50. saves the headache of worrying abt shutter count, dead/hot pixels etc.. etc...

nevertheless, germic - do take some time and think thru wat u are going to shoot MOST often, not HOPE to shoot most often. perhaps, after thinking thru, u might not need a DSLR after all. think this has been repeated ad nasuem here - u are going to spend a lot lot lot lot more than just the initial $1K.... with the amt u've saved so far, at best u might get a basic DSLR kit set and not much left over for a decently sized fast speed CF card, bag, flash etc..

if u have $1300, i suggest that u just go for minolta 5D. anti shake, 18-70 kit lens 3.5-4.5 (this lens has good reviews from steves-digicams) and comes bundled with 1GB of Kingston CF.

just buy a nice lowepro case and you're off shooting pictures.

well of course u cld get a 2nd hand 300D for $800 and spend the remaining $500 on lens upgrades, but of course, there are always risks involved buying 2nd hand. :)

New D50
KM 5D
2nd Hand 300D
2nd hand D70
2nd hand
but you say that you just going to shoot friends and nice places.....why not go for a prosumer??

if u don't need the long zoom ... and shooting nice places and friends ... u'll probably want a wide angle right? ... the oly8080 has had excellent reviews =) ... wide angle too or nikon 8400 or 5400 wide zooms ...

also don't have to deal with any dust problem =)

Thanks everybody. :)
I'm thinking of Canon or Nikon bcoz my frenz using also can share lens and things like that. Mebbe I look at D50 then. Hope to go shoping next week then. :sweat:

Another dumb qn - where to look for shutter count?

Germinc said:
I'm thinking of Canon or Nikon bcoz my frenz using also can share lens and things like that. Mebbe I look at D50 then. Hope to go shoping next week then. :sweat:

u wanna share lens? i advise u to think twice. if spoilt how? who gets the blame? ur talkin abt eqpt that potentially costs $1000+ leh.

and besides, if u get a KM5D, id say the 18-70 is a very decent general purpose walkabout lens already. add one mre APO sigma 70-300 u get a full range coverage. how many more lenses u wanna share?

Germinc said:

D50? .. get the 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200 and u're on your way =)

or just get the kit and sell the 18-55, get the 18-70 and 70-300G (for budget) or ED or the sigma 70-300 and you're on your way for a while ...

bear in mind ... for DSLR .. u'll probably want an external flash after a month or two ... then you'll get hit by the BBB virus and lust for f/2.8 lenses ... and perhaps the nikon trinity ...

Expiredyoghurt said:
D50? .. get the 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200 and u're on your way =)

or just get the kit and sell the 18-55, get the 18-70 and 70-300G (for budget) or ED or the sigma 70-300 and you're on your way for a while ...

bear in mind ... for DSLR .. u'll probably want an external flash after a month or two ... then you'll get hit by the BBB virus and lust for f/2.8 lenses ... and perhaps the nikon trinity ...

I think i just got hit by the BBB virus. now going for f/2.8 lenses. tamron 28 - 75mm f/2.8
Any healers out there ?

Thank you all. I bougth a D50 kit. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.