2nd hand dslr system

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverarrow

Jun 14, 2007
Lion city
I started off this hobby recently with a D80,18~200VR and 50mm f1.8 prime. Now attending a basic dslr class and now a CS'er.

To cut the story short, i need another set for my wife who is keen in taking up this hobby too. After some study,we found out that the buy/sell thread here to be very active, and had short listed these few dslr, mainly Canon 20D,Sony 100alpha, fuji s2or s3, with all of these to be around $1k region.

The problem here is that she tends to lean towards the Canon side, as she is currently using the G7, and if we proceed with canon purchase, we will eventually end up with some lenses that are not interchangerable.And if budget allows to be stretch a little, we may be able to get a used 30D or a new sony 100 alpha, where image stabilization is built into the body, so any lenses we bought next is automatically a (is/vr) equivalent which is very attractive points to consider.

If we stick back to nikon camp, it's either a used d200 or fuji S3, D40x is out for us.

Hope to get some advice either good or bad from experts here.

Thanks

Get the Nikon or Fuji since you are a Nikon user, you can save on lens. No point getting 2 systems. Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with Galdor. From a cost standpoint, both of you would benefit greatly if you get the same systems, be it Nikon or whichever system you choose. You could pool resources and get exotic/expensive lens.

But having different systems also has its advantages as the systems can complement each other. Canon has better hi-iso performance and a large range of lens. Nikon has solid build and its lens has the flexibility to be used on Fuji Spro bodies too. Sony, Pentax, Olympus have in-built IS, and the future direction from these companies look exciting with unique technology/feature sets and more advanced bodies to come, supported by a wealth of some old but good lens that are compatible with the new bodies.

Personally, I'd choose a good all round system, and both of us would use it, so we could build a big collection of lens and accessories. ;p

Thanks for the valuable input on the subject, This was what i thought so too, common system for both, but the pricing of VR and IS series put us off, we may be new, but in near future, i believe VR/IS/OS is a must to have as technology pushes forward, (just like multivalves per cylinder & electronic fuel injections in cars, no matter how small the car capacity, you can't find any new car that is fitted with a carburettor nowadys) that where Sony system have an edge over both C & N system. With proper marketing and proven results to show in near future, sony shuld catch up just behind C & N brand name.

Maybe i should just wait for a Used S2 or D200 as advice by you bro here.

Thanks

Thanks for the valuable input on the subject, This was what i thought so too, common system for both, but the pricing of VR and IS series put us off, we may be new, but in near future, i believe VR/IS/OS is a must to have as technology pushes forward, (just like multivalves per cylinder & electronic fuel injections in cars, no matter how small the car capacity, you can't find any new car that is fitted with a carburettor nowadys) that where Sony system have an edge over both C & N system. With proper marketing and proven results to show in near future, sony shuld catch up just behind C & N brand name.

Thanks

why not an s3pro instead of s2pro( if you're talking about fujifilm)

i too am in your shoes now. my gf is now keen on photography and she's wanting to learn more. she's spoint for the d40 as the budget constraints for her. i have since advised for a d50( which im using)to at least be able to use older lenses so she can AF. it will be a good idea to share your equipment together.

there are good and bad points of sharing systems as well as getting a new system.

ive tried out the sony alpha and olympus before, id still choose Big Cor N over sony .

the d80 is a wonderful body. if you want, finda d50. girls tend to have smaller hands. the d50 would fit nicely in her hands. for me, i think im loosing grip since ive got big hands and a small body(d50)

Thanks

VR is not really necessary. A tripod can do that job for you.

I started off this hobby recently with a D80,18~200VR and 50mm f1.8 prime. Now attending a basic dslr class and now a CS'er.

To cut the story short, i need another set for my wife who is keen in taking up this hobby too. After some study,we found out that the buy/sell thread here to be very active, and had short listed these few dslr, mainly Canon 20D,Sony 100alpha, fuji s2or s3, with all of these to be around $1k region.

The problem here is that she tends to lean towards the Canon side, as she is currently using the G7, and if we proceed with canon purchase, we will eventually end up with some lenses that are not interchangerable.And if budget allows to be stretch a little, we may be able to get a used 30D or a new sony 100 alpha, where image stabilization is built into the body, so any lenses we bought next is automatically a (is/vr) equivalent which is very attractive points to consider.

If we stick back to nikon camp, it's either a used d200 or fuji S3, D40x is out for us.

Hope to get some advice either good or bad from experts here.

Thanks

May we know roughly how deep have you or your wife plunge into this hobby? How many thousand(s) of $$ have you spend on all this items at the present moment?
My frank advise here is go for the Canon if you are still new into photography. Why? Canon is leading in the digital SLR edge (full frame Canon CMOS sensor) & lenses design in terms of technology & so on.
Sony lenses are way too expensive at some point becos the IS/VR are build into the camera body.
For Nikon, can you wait for another 2-3 yrs for another semi-pro new DSLR to release? I believe most Nikon DSLR are made from Thailand from now onwards. Besides the pro grades one will be made in Japan.
Anyway, this are just my POV & is for your reference only.:)

how about d50? a very capable camera... :thumbsup: should be able to get one at 600-700

buy from the same system as your existing one, in this case Nikon.

it will save you lens and accessories costs and you'll be able to teach her how to take advantage of the camera's functions :).

Just letting you know..I am selling Nikon kit lens 18-70mm. I still have 5 months warranty left (bought in 13 Jan 07). It comes wif UV filter, user-manual and hood. I dun have the box though. For $280.

Retiring it as i have Tamron 17-55mm and 70-300mm Nikon.
PM me thanks :)

the d80 is a wonderful body. if you want, finda d50. girls tend to have smaller hands. the d50 would fit nicely in her hands. for me, i think im loosing grip since ive got big hands and a small body(d50)
Errr... the size/weight of D50 and D80 is almost the same. But price of the D50 should be within the budget.

My suggest is also to get a common system. If I were you, I will get a S5pro and pass the D80 to my wife.

But if you want to work with about $1k budget, D40 is good. Of course, a 2nd hand D50 is another option.

If you decide on another system, you may end up paying more for lens, flash, etc.

BC

Actually, Nikon D70 and D70s are sold quite frequently in the classifieds. It's a old model, but still takes good pictures.

Actually, Nikon D70 and D70s are sold quite frequently in the classifieds. It's a old model, but still takes good pictures.

It's electronic shutter is amazing. You can even shoot at 1/1000sec with flash without seeing any crop off side in the picture when exceeding the flash sync speed. And I'm not talking FP flash mode here. Do correct me if I'm wrong. Many thanks.:)

It's electronic shutter is amazing. You can even shoot at 1/1000sec with flash without seeing any crop off side in the picture when exceeding the flash sync speed. And I'm not talking FP flash mode here. Do correct me if I'm wrong. Many thanks.:)

D70s flash sync speed is only 1/500. How to exceed flash sync speed?

D70s flash sync speed is only 1/500. How to exceed flash sync speed?

You can try shooting in a studio using studio flash too. The picture only gets darker as you shoot at 1/1000sec (which is -1 stop). And at 1/2000sec (-2 stop) as the picture will gets even darker. But, there won't be any cutting/crop off dark area in the pic. Just try & see.

You can try shooting in a studio using studio flash too. The picture only gets darker as you shoot at 1/1000sec (which is -1 stop). And at 1/2000sec (-2 stop) as the picture will gets even darker. But, there won't be any cutting/crop off dark area in the pic. Just try & see.
thanks :). i've never shot in a studio before :D. must try some time :).

Status
Not open for further replies.