2nd hand D40 or D90?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poshua

Oct 3, 2009
Hi I'm new to DSLR. I'm thinking of what would be my first camera.

Was thinking of getting a second hand D40 to cut down on cost & once I'm pro would change to a higher end DSLR like D2x etc.

Would this be a wiser choice because I'm not very sure about the difference between D40 & D90.

Would both image quality be around the same set aside the megapixel?

I'm new to this and hope to get your helpful advice.

d40 is pretty old...

i would go for a d90...
newer body and less of a headache...

the d90 should last u for quite a while, and the nex upgrade should go for FF like d700 or d3x

Was thinking of getting a second hand D40 to cut down on cost & once I'm pro would change to a higher end DSLR like D2x etc.

Would this be a wiser choice because I'm not very sure about the difference between D40 & D90.

D40 is obsolete, using a 6MP sensor Sony stopped manufacturing.

D90 is in a whole different league, both in image quality and features. I do suggest reading reviews and comparing them to learn more.

Consider depreaciation value...I will take the D90.

if this is your first camera, and if you're on a budget, the D40 will suffice. Price is already low and the system is easy to learn.

If you have the cash and you can project using the D90 for a long period of time ( it has HD video recording function) , then go for it.

If you're the fickle kind, just get the 2nd hand D40 to shoot till the lens drop, once you're adept at the system and skills , go for the D700 or better.

Learning process does not have to be a expensive one if you can plan ahead.

Welcome to clubsnap!
Choosing between the 2 cameras will boil down to your budget, and what your intentions are with photography.
If your budget a bit tight, best to go for D40 (only 2nd hand... obsolete model).
Image quality still blows any pocket camera out of the sky.

The 2 camera bodies are also of different size. d90 a fair bit larger and heavier.
You mentioned D2X. Are you prepared to lug around such a monster? If d2x size is ok for you, then d90 is nothing.

Consider depreaciation value...I will take the D90.

d40 body is already priced at its lowest 450 at 2nd hand set.
d90, in a few years time will eventually fall to the price of a 2nd hand d80 body.

It is true that D40 is discontinued but if you check Dpreview forum, you will find that this camera has large user base and people are still buying it.

The size of D40 makes it a camera for everyday photography. Most of the time when I leave home, I will take my D40 with me. I take every opportunity to shoot.

If you are tired of your D40 and decide to sell it, you probably lose a hundred dollars the most. By then you have learned and gained enough experience to go for your next system.

Last edited:
i go for D90

I can get D3000 at 813$ & D90 at 1337$ after GST. I can't get brand new D40 set.. very sad.

Is there still new sets around for D40?

Are you thoroughly locked into the Nikon system?

I can get D3000 at 813$ & D90 at 1337$ after GST. I can't get brand new D40 set.. very sad.

both prices sound too good to be true, especially the D90 one. I suspect these are body-only prices (unsure about the d3000 pricing). This means you still need to spend extra to get a lens.
If you don't know what lens to get, best to buy it as a bundle with the kit lens.
D3000 comes with kit lens 18-55mm VR.
D90 comes with kit lens 18-105mm VR (though i've seen bundled with 18-55mm VR for less $)

D40 is considered 'dinosaur' already, though it's by no means a lousy camera.

Some people from Dpreview forum could get new D40. I think it is in US.

If you want new, D3000 with 10.2MP sensor and more AF points is a good alternative to D40.

Yea I agree to some of here, D40 is indeed very old. You may also want to consider D70s, D80, or you stated, D90?
Do some specifications of the dslrs comparison yea and you will roughly know.
Good luck yea :)

I'm more or less into nikon.. or is there other brand models I can consider?

Btw, if any shop sells new D40, does it mean it's repackaged 2nd hand?

Go for D90, if both within ur budget, u wouldn't regret it. :)

Go for D90, if both within ur budget, u wouldn't regret it. :)

not necessarily true :angel:
I know of one person who bought D90 kit and found it too heavy and cumbersome. So he left it at home most of the time. Ended up selling it for a substantial loss and going for a D60kit instead.
The weight difference is a few hundred grams, since BOTH body + lens are heavier.

I'm more or less into nikon.. or is there other brand models I can consider?

Btw, if any shop sells new D40, does it mean it's repackaged 2nd hand?

There's Canon, Sony, Pentax, Minolta.

Status
Not open for further replies.