2nd hand camera: wat to look out for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dehuis

Mar 10, 2003
everton park
Visit site
hi..
i'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand camera, could anyone pls advise me abt the things to look out for when checking the camera to see if it is on good shape? eg like if there are certain areas to open or inspect for anything. thks

looking for film camera...
actually looking at body, no lens.. no no experienced friend free.. so on my own...appreciate any advise

Meet the person next wednesday @ SEED, think you'll have more then enough advices. :)

too bad i not free to go....but get the idea that its good to get someone experenced along.. shall try to get friend along. thks

Well, there's a few things to look out for.

1. Most important things, open up the back and see whether there are scratches on the film plate.

2. Then check whether the shutter is working properly. See and check the shutter movement at different shutter speeds.

3. Check whether the AF pins at the front of the camera are bent or damaged. Also check whether the mirror is aligned properly.

4. Check whether the hot shot can fire off a flash.

5. Lastly, shake the camera and hear whether got loose parts inside or not, hahaha.......

Hi,

I second the checking of the shutter speed. This is one of the more problematic areas in 2nd hand bodies especially if for those that have been not used for a period of time.

Check at the lower shutter speeds - eg 2 second or 4 second. Time it with your watch - if the shutter speed is off at the slower speeds, it will likely be off at the faster speeds as well. Shutter speeds repair can be pricy if you are not careful.

The other thing that I will look for is the bayonet mount where the the lens is mounted to the body. This can be an area of abuse and wear for used camera bodies as well. Borrow a lens have that mounted to see if it mounts securely or is loose.

Cheers

ok... gone and tired everything... now proud owner of 3 yr old eos 5.. thks for the advise.. hope the cam works... just put it thru 1 roll of film

1. shutter speed. no need stopwatch. use ears can tell.
2.for film body..check for proper film loading/auto rewind/half rewind etc
3.lens mount: put on a lens to see if u can ctrl aperturen take a goodlook at the aperture blades
4.viewfinder/mirror/focussing screen
5.get a copy of the instruction booklet to verify all the various electronic functions n custom settings ie u got to read up on it, try full batt n low batt to see how the cam responds
6. hotshoe: put on a flash and a lens and verify all the settings(ie needs instruction booklet
7.external wear: look for any parts that look like they r gonna fall apart, verify with sources about which exact parts/accessories can be replaced/bought separately or which parts cannot be gotten separately eg vert grips, those little caps, release cables..know all the codenames ie mean u need instruction booklet again
8.more? cheerios

eh..actually smell is quite important also, bcos can distinguish new vs old version of the same thing

Hi,
Another advice is oso to look for a reliable dealer, some give u one month warranty to really test out the camera, if not return it back( of cse not the appearance but the functionality, seem all of that can be examine on the spot.) Finding a experineced friend is all right, but must find one the uses that brand of camera cos no companies make cameras identical to each others. Do heed, i learn it the hard way. Hee Hee.

Regards,
TM

Originally posted by dehuis
hi..
i'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand camera, could anyone pls advise me abt the things to look out for when checking the camera to see if it is on good shape? eg like if there are certain areas to open or inspect for anything. thks

Status
Not open for further replies.