2nd body or 2nd lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tealeaves

Feb 16, 2009
hi all. im gettin a dslr pretty soon, most prob a 450D but im torn between a brand new set, 2nd hand body+ 1st body lens or 2nd hand lens+ 1st hand body? one more qn ish im oso torn between 18-55 or 18-200 lens.. im tryin to keep my budget low thou i noe tis's an ex expensive hobby :confused: yet 18-200 might to gd for noob lk mi coz i have lesser chance of losin my photo opportunity? apologised in advance if tis has been a freq-posted qn.. :D

hi all. im gettin a dslr pretty soon, most prob a 450D but im torn between a brand new set, 2nd hand body+ 1st body lens or 2nd hand lens+ 1st hand body? one more qn ish im oso torn between 18-55 or 18-200 lens.. im tryin to keep my budget low thou i noe tis's an ex expensive hobby :confused: yet 18-200 might to gd for noob lk mi coz i have lesser chance of losin my photo opportunity? apologised in advance if tis has been a freq-posted qn.. :D

You may wish to go for 18 - 200. It is more cost effective.
Pertaining to first hand or 2nd hand ... this is usually very personal. So i shall leave it to the rest to share with you more!

Cheers and enjoy the game
Fuji :)

You can even consider a 2nd hand body AND 2nd hand lenses. There are plenty to choose from from the Buy and Sell section.

I usually don't advocate the "all-in-one" 18-200 lens, you can get two or more lenses with better IQ for the same price.

What do you intend to shoot? What is your budget?

Anyway, try not to type using msn spelling, makes for difficult reading.

i'm currently serving NS so budget pretty tight.. budget ranges from 1300-1800 which includes everything like the dry cabinet n tripod.. but can be increase slightly IF i managed to get support from my dad which i try not to.. heex well, generally i do love to try to shoot as many objects as possible from nature to streets to buildings but i guess for a noobie its best to stick w one or two categories first? not too sure too. regarding 2nd-hand items with warranty, is it right to say that canon singapore will cover the charges? for say like i send it for cleanin of dust or fungus? or do i still have to pay a certain amount? thank you all for the time in answering my questions. greatly appreciated* =)

Canon warranty does not covering cleaning

i'm currently serving NS so budget pretty tight.. budget ranges from 1300-1800 which includes everything like the dry cabinet n tripod.. but can be increase slightly IF i managed to get support from my dad which i try not to.. heex well, generally i do love to try to shoot as many objects as possible from nature to streets to buildings but i guess for a noobie its best to stick w one or two categories first? not too sure too. regarding 2nd-hand items with warranty, is it right to say that canon singapore will cover the charges? for say like i send it for cleanin of dust or fungus? or do i still have to pay a certain amount? thank you all for the time in answering my questions. greatly appreciated* =)

A second hand 450D kit could be had for around $800-$900.

If you need more range, add around $200-$300 for a 55-250mm lens, that is a common approach for new users who want to explore as big a range as possible in the beginning. Avoid the 75-300mm, its IQ is really not that good. You can also shoot with the kit lens for a while before deciding if you need a longer range.

A dry cabinet can set you back by about $150, but I deem it as a necessary purchase if you want proper protection for your equipment which costs ten times more.

As for the tripod, buy it if you realise you need it (eg. lots of night, product shooting etc.) and be willing to spend more on one that is sturdy and light (so you don't end up being reluctant to carry it around.)

er, i think it doesn't matter, it depends on your resistance to having equipment that others have used before

if you ask me, lens problem easier to detect than body problem. i would probably consider 2nd lens, but never ever second hand body.

really wanna thank you guys for all the inputs, advice and suggestions :D think i'm gonna get a brand new 18-55 set in the coming weeks.. as for the tripod, a light-weight but sturdy can easily cost more than 200bucks right? really cant wait to get my hands on my first dslr! haha

well a sony ax 200 could be a good choice for low budjets as the kit box provide a 18-75 mm lens and a 70-200 lens. but personally i prefer canon 500D, the one which i possess at the moment. it give me a 17-55 f/3.5 lens. but for sony both i tink shud be f/5.6.
Pros and cons

Pros
Sony ax 200: cheap, low cost, cost effective as 2 lens are provided, won the 2008 best consumer choice award, lens are not as expensive as image stablilzer is built into the body

Canon 500D: Good kit lens given as it is a f/3.5 lens with image stablizer. kit lens good for macroing if a good macro lens is mounted on and u can use auto focus for macro shots. can take good wide angle shot aso, but i bought a tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8 lens for my wide angle shots. Video shots are aso available at high definition

Cons
Sony ax200 : undetailed picture once the iso goes 3200, kit lens are not as good for macroing. requires to use manual focus for macro shots unlike canon 500D.

Canon 500D : high cost camera. expensive lens ( i bought a 70-200 f/4L lens for 1.7k)

OK but for quality wise, u shud choose canon 500D. it can take high definition video shooting , live viewer. but the best if u choose 5d mark II but its kinda exp!! SGD 3.5k with no kit lens.

ok now i recomend u some shops for cheap lens and camera body..

1) vision 1 @ burlington square ( near bugis) ( this is where i bought my f/4L lens and my tokina wide angle lens

2) merdeka @ sim lim square (jus opposite burlington square) ( this is where i bought my 500D body with kit lens from.

well a sony ax 200 could be a good choice for low budjets as the kit box provide a 18-75 mm lens and a 70-200 lens. but personally i prefer canon 500D, the one which i possess at the moment. it give me a 17-55 f/3.5 lens. but for sony both i tink shud be f/5.6.
Pros and cons

Pros
Sony ax 200: cheap, low cost, cost effective as 2 lens are provided, won the 2008 best consumer choice award, lens are not as expensive as image stablilzer is built into the body

Canon 500D: Good kit lens given as it is a f/3.5 lens with image stablizer. kit lens good for macroing if a good macro lens is mounted on and u can use auto focus for macro shots. can take good wide angle shot aso, but i bought a tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8 lens for my wide angle shots. Video shots are aso available at high definition

Cons
Sony ax200 : undetailed picture once the iso goes 3200, kit lens are not as good for macroing. requires to use manual focus for macro shots unlike canon 500D.

Canon 500D : high cost camera. expensive lens ( i bought a 70-200 f/4L lens for 1.7k)

OK but for quality wise, u shud choose canon 500D. it can take high definition video shooting , live viewer. but the best if u choose 5d mark II but its kinda exp!! SGD 3.5k with no kit lens.

1) vision 1 @ burlington square ( near bugis) ( this is where i bought my f/4L lens and my tokina wide angle lens

2) merdeka @ sim lim square (jus opposite burlington square) ( this is where i bought my 500D body with kit lens from.
You sure Canon got 17-55mm constant f/3.5 lens?

Comparing the Canon 70-200 f/4 L to the 70-200mm that comes with the Sony kit or the Canon 55-250mm is like comparing a Merc S-class to a Toyota Camry hence the price difference

Last edited:

The Sony Alpha's twin lens kit has a 18-70 and a 75-300, not a 18-75 and 70-200. The Canon 500D comes with a 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens. Please get your facts right.

Pros and cons

Pros

Kit lens, once again, is not f/3.5; it is a f/3.5-5.6 lens. Kit lens is suitable for a variety of applications (as are most kit lenses anyway), including close ups, and you don't need to attach a "macro lens", which I'd assume is a close up filter, not switching out the kit lens for a dedicated macro lens. And you can use AF for macro shots with all AF macro lenses, not just the kit lens.

Cons

I doubt that the kit lens of the Alpha 200 requires MF to shoot close ups. Perhaps it is just that when you tried it, you weren't sure of what you were doing.

You might want to refer to this page for a more accurate list of pros and cons, as well as a short review conclusion.

The point about Canon having expensive lenses is a moot point. Every manufacturer has their expensive lenses. Even Sony makes a 70-200 f/2.8G lens that is pricey. You don't have to spend on expensive lenses if you don't need to. There are more affordable lenses available too. BTW, the 70-200 f/4L (non-IS) is available for around 1k. It looks like you got ripped off.

Assuming you got your 70-200 f/4L at vision 1, I think it's not a good shop to go to, since you paid so much more than it retails for elsewhere.

To the threadstarter, please do your research on how much things should cost. There are relevant price lists in relevant subforums that you should check prior to your purchase, so you know how much things should cost and what you should be getting with them. There are also reputable shops that are held in high regard by the people here at CS to have good customer service, and you can be likely assured you won't be ripped off. Shops include John 3:16, TK Foto, Cathay Photo, Orient Photo and MS Colour.

Last edited:
er, i think it doesn't matter, it depends on your resistance to having equipment that others have used before

if you ask me, lens problem easier to detect than body problem. i would probably consider 2nd lens, but never ever second hand body.

its ez to find bodies with warrenty.
i usually try to find those unless u know what u are getting and how to test the camera out.

as for lens...older lens tend to last, some longer than the owner.
newer ones with vr/motor have "higher" chance of breaking down.

Get the two kit lens system if budget is a constrain for a single more costly 18-200mm

Else perhaps you can try out with the 18-55 ( or equivalent starter kit lens ) iself and explore and learn from there first

Ryan

well i guess i would be getting 18-55 for now & save the extra cash. heard from one of my friend that CP allows installment with free-interest? if that's true, would it be a wise choice to take up the installment plan? thank you all for the feedback in advance ;)

Pros and cons

Pros

Cons

Where did you get all these distorted facts? If you are unsure about something, it would be best to do some research before you advise people with the wrong information.

Status
Not open for further replies.