2MP Digital Camera - Wat to buy? (Canon, Nikon or Olympus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chokky

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
hi,
a newbie here.
have checked out the specs for the Canon A40, the Nikon Coolpix 2500 and the Olympus C2-Zoom.
Considering all are 2MP digital cams, do all support extra filters and lens? And wat's the difference between the modes of the cameras (i.e the monochrome, sepia, scenery etc), as in why the coolpix has 12 modes and the A40 only has 4?
And what are the reviews regarding the cams so far?
Wishing to play around with scenery photos, portraits and some close-up photos and looking in the range of $400-450. Preferably with both manual and autofocus function.
Thanks for ur help, everyone!

it's hard to get fully manual
with all the scenes u want

only a40 got the all in one like scene but not alot but can add lens like TC and fiters lor
the others like C3? and Nikon cannot

even for 400-450 u cannot get a V2 for the small size too
and it got limited functions like manuals

if u want fully manuals get a Canon S series
min $730 for S30 canon
or a Minolta F100
which is only abit more

maybe others ppls will add in more cameras models lor
tat is all i could help for now hehe.

if u want to add lens/fiters and want fully manual get a 602z or G3 which will set up back to 1K min
which this two cam will let u learn alot already

for eexample if u compare the Nikon and a40
oke nikon using properity battery which will cost u
a40 use 4 AA batt will be cheaper

Nikon is smaller in size
A40 is mid size but if u add lens will be abit hugh cannot fit in your pants

but nikon quality is not bad for the mid end one
Canon is more on the soft side but color is Great
C3 is more like a P&S camera size cannot fit lens like A40

but i think either u get the a40 which is the best value now
or get a Nikon mid end which will be better quality

for me i use a fuji but it fully auto but got x6 optical
tat why i gonna upgrade soon to a fully manual like G3 or 602z or
for small size i opt for S30 or S45

wow... thanks for ur help, PKer?
but wat about the modes? why the great difference?

modes?
u mean scenes?
u can go check out the reviews

http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.dcviews.com/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

and look for your models

oh ya u can look for sony P2 models too
but sony is more costly
it got ISO settings
but the a40 also got
but if u want small and cute size u need to pay for the small and maybe limited functions.

oh ya back to your questions modes or u mean scences is actually like PS or photoshop on your camera so u can edited on the fly without goint to PS to edit when u upload it

like sepia , B&W and vivid tone
it wil make the pics change on the fly
ya if got more scenes is better then nothing but

remener the lens plays a major part of the camera
if a camera with all the gimmek like scences and super good digital zoom it wont make a diff

if u got a good lens maybe a processor in the camera
and a skilled user u will get good pics

u can go looks at others ppls abum to compare and see what cam thet use to u can compare and judge it
wat u need in wat camera and budget too

if i raise my budget to another 100-150 bucks, would u recommend a 3MP Canon S30? Or even a 4MP Canon G3 (maybe 2nd hand?)
And do all the above-mentioned digital cams support filters with an adapter?
But the Canon S30 only runs on Li batteries, not the AA size batts. That's a BIG minus for me!

if u raise by around tat price maybe a S30 could fit
G3 is still exp for a sec-hand lor

actualty i also looking for a S30 or S45 too
sec-hand
heee but not in a rush

but canon S30 only runs on Li batts rite? Won't tat burn a hole in ur pocket for the batts?

You want to attach additional lenses and filters then you might be better off getting the PowerShot A40.

It has enough manual settings for you to play around.

The CP2500 doesn't allow add ons I believe cos of it's rotating lens style.

V2 is out cos it's dying from the market soon, and not much manual features to play with.

I won't advise Sony cameras for the sake of their Mem Sticks, too expensive as storage for cameras. $140 for 128MB I do hope most of the users realise $140 can get u a 256MB CF. (I'm not saying the camera isn't good, it's the cost factors that I'm putting in here to comment).

If you raise ur budget a bit higher, to about $700 I think you'll be better off rasing it a BIT higher and get the S45 instead.

More worth it as a 4mp camera.

I don't think 2nd hand G3 will cost u $700. :)

Hope it helps...

actually checked out some photos of a friend's who owns a Canon A40, but find that the pic quality isn't that sharp. pixel to pixel, the pics are not that clear, worse than that of a 35mm SLR. Tat's y i was thinking wat about the S30.

Have checked out the specs of the S30. Similar to the A40, but better cos' it is 3MP. But batt wise, each batt costs much much more...

Any 3MP or more models to check out that uses AA batt and reasonable 3MP within my budget of about $600?

wat abt the Fuji F601Z? any len adapter for it? worth to buy as a 3MP cam or not?

comparing an A40 to a 35mm SLR??????? should be happy abt it? ..comparing a comsumer camera to an SLR...of cos the quality is not as good...

digital quality is usually not as gd as film.

what u should compare should be A40 to other digital camera that u are going to buy.

so far all that u have stated only A40 can use add on lens/ filter.
if does not have so many scenes mode........i guess is becos it already has manual shutter so no need for that.

of cos....i think CP2500 is quite good...got swivel...quality not bad too. but all are preset.....no manual control.
[swivel is a big big big good point...hahah ...as least to me, cos i like to snapshot my friends]

canon S series also good la...but exp....first of all....u want compact camera or more control camera?

at that price u can get 2nd hand G2 ^_^

actually would prefer to get a camera with more control, but still confounded by the many models available. Even the specifications are almost all the same...
the Fuji F602Z, the Canon S30 ... Any other 3MP Digital Cams that can use add-ons? which one is better? Sigh...
want something to play around with scenery, portraits of people, group photos etc... But hope to get clear picture quality.
Really found that the 2MP cameras cannot make my standard, colour contrast not that great, colour vibrance not there, not very clear pics... quite sad lah!

Fuji 602z is a 3mp, able to add on lenses.

U can consider it.

canon s30 cannot use add on lens.

the quality...the clearness......i can only say:
"it is the photography that counts not the camera"

Originally posted by Chokky
actually would prefer to get a camera with more control, but still confounded by the many models available. Even the specifications are almost all the same...
the Fuji F602Z, the Canon S30 ... Any other 3MP Digital Cams that can use add-ons? which one is better? Sigh...
want something to play around with scenery, portraits of people, group photos etc... But hope to get clear picture quality.
Really found that the 2MP cameras cannot make my standard, colour contrast not that great, colour vibrance not there, not very clear pics... quite sad lah!

S30 can add lens take a look at this but u needto order it lor
http://www.ckcpower.com/s3040.htm

but not sure SG got the size for it.
i also looking for Canon S series too for the manual functions lor and i want small size so canon S30 or S45 fits my size
A40 pics abit too soft of not sharp
maybe due to 2mp
hope a40 users wont be offended by wat i comments hehe
but i would say A40 is a best value cam in market now lor if u dont mind the pic quality but u can go to edit on PS too

just only a40 user need to really stablize your cam when taking shot particular in nite shots

ehhe
but if budget get a40
but if u want clear sharp get fuji
lor
canon is great on color but sharp is on the soft side even on a 4mp G3 as i find it

tat why i still owns a Fuji
although i like canon's color too bad cannot ask for the world
hehee

but if the person got the skills it can take great shots lor and if the camera is of better quality lens and DSP processor it will makes a diff too
as i find it

;p

is the S30 lens adapter available in Singapore? the link that PKer88 sent seems to have originated from US (from the phone number)...

not that much affected by size. But image quality such as sharpness of pictures is paramount. Want to keep some pictures for lessons. So especially for close-ups, need them to be sharp.

there's nothing wrong with the A40 except don't like the softness of the pics and the sharpness of the pictures.

No offence Dig.. but I want my photos to be really sharp and clear, which the A40 cannot produce.

Guess I'll forget the word "budget". Want to get something that'll last me a long time. that's why i want a 3MP cam... thanks everyone for ur help so far!

So far only heard of the Fuji F602Z, Canon S30. Wat about the Olympus 3MP cams?

If you're really serious, consider the 5mp cameras. Or jump into SLR, think SLR would give you the kind of pictures you really want.

Sorry espn, cannot afford to spend TOO much on this cos' still studying now... the 5MP cams costs way out of my spending power... Guess the 3MP cams are the only higher end cams I can afford at all! thanks for ur advice though

and Dig...
haha, whether a photo is a good depends on the person behind the camera, right?
but just checked the fuji website last nite, seems like they quote prices in USD of 500USD for their fuji cam F602Z, u know? that's around 850 SGD rite?
and i saw in the forums that their prices are going to drop after CNY, could their prices be already down?

And everybody,
is the Olympus S730 able to have add on lens/filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.