2gb data enogh or not?

I feel better with 5GB... since I somethings reach 3GB...

I think its abit too much that they lower the cap by so much... from 12GB to just 2GB... thats a 83.4% reduction... half is more reasonable. And if surfing speed do not get better after the 'Cut'... are we to get back our 10GB... :think:

My data usage has never exceeded 1 GB/month, so I can live with 2 GB. It's still a huge drop though from the 12 GB I'm given.

They are not going to reduce their price so this is another way of raising profit, most of us are contracted so are we going to suck thumb? Will IDA allow that?

If your contract states 12gb, will you still be affected? 2gb is not enough for ppl who needs to use emails with DL on the go frequently. I think I sure exceed if that's the case...

They are not going to reduce their price so this is another way of raising profit, most of us are contracted so are we going to suck thumb? Will IDA allow that?

From what I read, it only applies to new and recontracting customers. It does not apply to existing contracts.

If you really need the volume, you can consider broadband on mobile, which I am using.

Plausible without intensive video streaming.

The move is most probably to curb customers utilising HSDPA / HSPA+ and the upcoming LTE as a mobile wireless hotspot for their home network where they can easily hit the 12 GB limit.

Last edited:
the real question is, will i get what i pay for?
right now they give me 12GB, but speeds are crawling and signal strength is weak and sometimes none.
in punggol the Maxis signal is stronger than singtel

They will compensate with giving "additional free SMS".

So you can see, it's to curb the use of whatsapp/viber.

in punggol the Maxis signal is stronger than singtel

I laughed when I saw this.

Yes!!!! I always have to wait until I get back to Punggol Interchange before the signal switches back to Singtel despite turning airplane mode on and off nonstop all the way there. :bsmilie:

You pay the same price but get 1/6 of what you used to get.

This will happen in other countries too. Service providers regret giving 12GB. If the public does not protest, then they will reduce drastically.

Why?

Because they can do this to you. And get away with it.

Soon that meager 2 GB limit will become the norm and (they hope) people will get used to it.

They insist that most people will not notice the difference. They insist that most people don't use up to 12 GB volume anyway.

There is a fallacy in this argument.

If this argument is TRUE, and most people don't actually use that much volume, then they can INCREASE the limit to 30GB instead of reduce it to 2 GB.

In addition, if you sold me something, say for example 10 kg of rice for $30. After the purchase, it is up to me whether to eat 1 kg of rice per month or 10 kg per month.
After you sold the rice to me for $30, it is none of your business, how much rice I actually eat.

You should not use the reason that since I only eat so little rice per month, your new price for rice is $30 for 1 kg. (instead of 10 kg that I used to get for this price). This is an obnoxious explanation for profiteering.

Last edited:
2GB seem enough for most but once you got a new phone, you will DL till you forget the usage. Best to use Wifi after you got a new phone and prevent yourself hitting the limit w/o notice. Nowadays SMART phone surfs net like a normal broswer, it's quite heavy on data usage, so, beware!

acpical said:
From what I read, it only applies to new and recontracting customers. It does not apply to existing contracts.

If you really need the volume, you can consider broadband on mobile, which I am using.

Actually I think they are using divide and conquer. First they say new lines. Then they say re-contract lines. Then they say everyone. Sneaky and insiduous tactic if you ask me. Tsk tsk...

ricohflex said:
You pay the same price but get 1/6 of what you used to get.

This will happen in other countries too. Service providers regret giving 12GB. If the public does not protest, then they will reduce drastically.

Why?

Because they can do this to you. And get away with it.

Soon that meager 2 GB limit will become the norm and (they hope) people will get used to it.

They insist that most people will not notice the difference. They insist that most people don't use up to 12 GB volume anyway.

There is a fallacy in this argument.

If this argument is TRUE, and most people don't actually use that much volume, then they can INCREASE the limit to 30GB instead of reduce it to 2 GB.

In addition, if you sold me something, say for example 10 kg of rice for $30. After the purchase, it is up to me whether to eat 1 kg of rice per month or 10 kg per month.
After you sold the rice to me for $30, it is none of your business, how much rice I actually eat.

You should not use the reason that since I only eat so little rice per month, your new price for rice is $30 for 1 kg. (instead of 10 kg that I used to get for this price). This is an obnoxious explanation for profiteering.

Fully agree with this logic! Boycott Singtel!!!

My suspicion is they are preparing for LTE, most users in 3G currently wouldn't even be able to hit 2GB. There are so many areas where 3G is not fast enough to even hit this kind of traffic bandwidth for normal users.

But it is pretty obvious if LTE comes onboard and becomes popular, the bandwidth @12gb will be profit lost for them if they don't bring down the cap first when it is still early now where most users are still on 3G where the significance is not there yet.

from unlimited to 12Gb, then 2Gb! though I seldom exceed 1Gb now, because I use them mostly at home or office, I think a fair amount should be about 4Gb, since technology is moving so fast and we are going to DL more in the coming years.

but everyone should protest strongly about this because if not, these 3 monopolistic competitors will wayang their way thru and we like be the receiving end again and again! frankly, what choice do we have left? Press, Press, Press!

look at our TV programs, who is watching them now? what pay-tv?

Far far away said:
Actually I think they are using divide and conquer. First they say new lines. Then they say re-contract lines. Then they say everyone. Sneaky and insiduous tactic if you ask me. Tsk tsk...

They can't say everyone cause that's not the agreement when you sign the contract. Only new and re-contract will be affected.

Singapore's mobile data has been very cheap all this while and they are now wanting to be the same as other telcos around the world. Here in US, it is USD25 for 2GB of data till recently they bumped it up to USD30 for 3GB. This price does not even include tethering which is another USD20. There's no such thing as shared data plans across a single number as well. You have to pay individually for each device.

This is just an excuse for them!

Such move only force subscriber to switch telecom!

Anyway 'RED' is a NO NO...time to go 'GREEN'!

Hahaha...