Not open for further replies.

a9ape

Jul 21, 2004
2902 Gallery Presents

European Sketchbook

By Tan Ngiap Heng

European Sketchbook

6th – 18th May 2008

If a painter sketches with a pencil, then a photographer captures the moment by selecting a portion out of the whole scene and creates a new dialogue of his own. Be it wandering through the streets of Europe or setting up within a studio, Tan Ngiap Heng has demonstrated the relationship between the creator and the subjects are both intrinsic &dialectic.

Presenting 2 bodies of works, Pulse is a body of personal snap shots taken in various parts of Europe, and absorbing the culture and street scenes where great European photographers like Bresson and Doisneau used to roam. On the other hand, Tuscan Portraits reveals the distinct voice of the creator and yet preserves the essence of each subject.

Artist Statement

Pulse

"The photographs in Pulse are my personal snap shots of Europe. Most of the images come from Italy, but there are also images from France and England. The countries in Europe are diverse, but there is an air of life in all the streets of Europe. You can see and feel the history of this venerable continent. And you also see people confident in who they are. If we follow the newspapers in Europe, we see that there are struggles in their society like any other place in the world. But there is a certain sensibility in these countries that comes from many years of culture and history.

Pulse is simply me enjoying the Europeans living their lives."

Tuscan Portraits

"I have been attending photographic workshops in Tuscany for several years now. Last year, in 2007, I was there for three weeks of workshops. While taking the workshops, I was using the beautiful Tuscan light to take portraits of the staff and other photographic students. In these portraits, the most important thing for me was the interaction. There is a limit in photography to provide narrative. Very little is revealed about the subject or photographer is such simple portraits. They are not even portraits of Tuscan people. What I strived for in all these portraits is a connection between the people I shot and myself."

About Tan Ngiap Heng

Tan Ngiap Heng began his photographic career through his love of dance. Despite his engineering degree in London, he returned to Singapore and started working for The Singapore Arts Centre, where he started photographing performing arts groups for The Arts Magazine. This spurred his career as a full-time photographer as his clients expanded to other reputable arts groups and organizations.

After six years in wedding photography, Ngiap Heng moved into commercial portrait photography and has been working for major commercial clients including Deutsche Bank, NTUC Income and The National University of Singapore. Retaining a close relationship with the arts scene, he has photographed theatre groups and is currently the resident photographer for Singapore Dance Theatre. Being active in exhibiting his personal works, his last exhibition 'Dance Me Through The Dark' was held at The Arts House gallery. In 2007, he won an International Photography Award and one of his dance photographs appeared on the cover of Dance Europe. In 2008, his dance photography for Keppel Corporation's calendar has been accepted for the Photo District News Annual. Some of his dance photography will also be exhibited in the Fotoseptiembre Photo Festival in San Antonio, Texas.

2902 Gallery: The Appreciation of Arts through a View Finder

2902 Gallery is a space dedicated to photography works by local & oversea artists.

It consists of 3 galleries of over 3,000sq ft and a workshop room for photography courses.

Opening Hours: Tue -Saturday: 11am – 8pm, Sunday: 1pm-6pm, Sun - By appointment only

For General Enquiries: Email: info@2902gallery.com or call 6339 8655

www.2902gallery.com Facebook: 2902 photo gallery

For map & direction, please visit http://www.2902gallery.com/location.php

2902 Gallery Presents

European Sketchbook

By Tan Ngiap Heng

European Sketchbook

6th – 18th May 2008

If a painter sketches with a pencil, then a photographer captures the moment by selecting a portion out of the whole scene and creates a new dialogue of his own. Be it wandering through the streets of Europe or setting up within a studio, Tan Ngiap Heng has demonstrated the relationship between the creator and the subjects are both intrinsic &dialectic.

Presenting 2 bodies of works, Pulse is a body of personal snap shots taken in various parts of Europe, and absorbing the culture and street scenes where great European photographers like Bresson and Doisneau used to roam. On the other hand, Tuscan Portraits reveals the distinct voice of the creator and yet preserves the essence of each subject.

Artist Statement

Pulse

"The photographs in Pulse are my personal snap shots of Europe. Most of the images come from Italy, but there are also images from France and England. The countries in Europe are diverse, but there is an air of life in all the streets of Europe. You can see and feel the history of this venerable continent. And you also see people confident in who they are. If we follow the newspapers in Europe, we see that there are struggles in their society like any other place in the world. But there is a certain sensibility in these countries that comes from many years of culture and history.

Pulse is simply me enjoying the Europeans living their lives."

Tuscan Portraits

"I have been attending photographic workshops in Tuscany for several years now. Last year, in 2007, I was there for three weeks of workshops. While taking the workshops, I was using the beautiful Tuscan light to take portraits of the staff and other photographic students. In these portraits, the most important thing for me was the interaction. There is a limit in photography to provide narrative. Very little is revealed about the subject or photographer is such simple portraits. They are not even portraits of Tuscan people. What I strived for in all these portraits is a connection between the people I shot and myself."

About Tan Ngiap Heng

Tan Ngiap Heng began his photographic career through his love of dance. Despite his engineering degree in London, he returned to Singapore and started working for The Singapore Arts Centre, where he started photographing performing arts groups for The Arts Magazine. This spurred his career as a full-time photographer as his clients expanded to other reputable arts groups and organizations.

After six years in wedding photography, Ngiap Heng moved into commercial portrait photography and has been working for major commercial clients including Deutsche Bank, NTUC Income and The National University of Singapore. Retaining a close relationship with the arts scene, he has photographed theatre groups and is currently the resident photographer for Singapore Dance Theatre. Being active in exhibiting his personal works, his last exhibition 'Dance Me Through The Dark' was held at The Arts House gallery. In 2007, he won an International Photography Award and one of his dance photographs appeared on the cover of Dance Europe. In 2008, his dance photography for Keppel Corporation's calendar has been accepted for the Photo District News Annual. Some of his dance photography will also be exhibited in the Fotoseptiembre Photo Festival in San Antonio, Texas.

2902 Gallery: The Appreciation of Arts through a View Finder

2902 Gallery is a space dedicated to photography works by local & oversea artists.

It consists of 3 galleries of over 3,000sq ft and a workshop room for photography courses.

Opening Hours: Tue -Saturday: 11am – 8pm, Sunday: 1pm-6pm, Sun - By appointment only

For General Enquiries: Email: info@2902gallery.com or call 6339 8655

www.2902gallery.com Facebook: 2902 photo gallery

For map & direction, please visit http://www.2902gallery.com/location.php

Err...Just to confirm is it Sun or Mon by appointment! thanks!

yup, entry is free

2902 gallery is opened from tues to sunday. mondays by appointment only

Status
Not open for further replies.