28mm or 35mm lens for canon 500

hoes88

Aug 20, 2010
m.flickr.com
Hi thinking of getting one of the above, but don't know which to get.
Currently I only have a 50mm 1.8. I take mostly family photos and portriats. Looking at to get either the 35mm f2 or the 28mmf2.8 due to budget. All comments and advise welcome.

Currently I only have a 50mm 1.8. I take mostly family photos and portriats. Looking at to get either the 35mm f2 or the 28mmf2.8 due to budget. All comments and advise welcome.

Either the 35 or 28mm will be good. It depends on usage and preference.
To me the 35mm feels more comfortable in terms of working distance and more 'normal' in perspective on APS-C.
I find the 28mm needs me to get closer, but its nice to have the wider FOV when you need it.
No wrong choice imo.

One way to be sure, rent both lenses, and then try it out for yourself.

I am interested to rent and try. Where to rent? Is there a shop in singaore? And what is the cost?

if put image quality aside, a better choice will be the 28mm focal length. 35mm is closer to your 50mm, so you need a much wider lens for the "bigger pictures"

what do you want that focal length for?
casual shooting or half body portraits?

It depends on what you want to shoot and at which focal length.
I got the 35mm and I never looked back :)

when i was using the aps-c system, i had more love for 35mm ( and the 20mm ) than the 28mm. but thats really up to individual preference.

ryan

you might want to also keep the sigma 30mm in mind because that is also another popular value for money lens that everyone is talking about and it is great for APS-C cameras.
Do check out the reviews if you have the time

Sigma looks good,but I saw it going for more than double the price of the above two. I am leaning more towards the 35mm on the f2 apperture. Family photos should turn out better than 28mm. If need more wider view, will turn to my automatic point Nd shoot camara. Any one know if there are lens on sale at the comex fair next week? If not I will hop down to Cathay photo this weekend. ThNks fir the advise everyone. Think time for me to move beyond my 50mm.

Sigma looks good,but I saw it going for more than double the price of the above two. I am leaning more towards the 35mm on the f2 apperture. Family photos should turn out better than 28mm. If need more wider view, will turn to my automatic point Nd shoot camara. Any one know if there are lens on sale at the comex fair next week? If not I will hop down to Cathay photo this weekend. ThNks fir the advise everyone. Think time for me to move beyond my 50mm.

Don't bother with comex pricing.
Just go ask around the list of reputable shops at funan. :)

yup it really depends on you...

but i would say i'm having a great time with both the 50mm and the 28mm... both cheap and good to use day to day...

no issues..

the 35 was also considered.. but i wanted something wider.. so i took the 28...

you can check out the rental section under commercial services...

how is the sharpeness of the 28 2.8?

The lens is not very popular given it performance. Whats ur view on this ?

how is the sharpeness of the 28 2.8?

The lens is not very popular given it performance. Whats ur view on this ?

it really depends what you wanna use it for... i'm using it as a carry around everyday, every moment lens, so its nice and light.. wide enough to be used in a small room and at a starbucks cafe sitting opposite my girlfren..

if you are really particular about sharpness then ofcos you will want to pay more.. but for the price and quality you get, you are getting value..