28 days NZ solo trip "Done"!

BBTM

Nov 23, 2004
BB West
Finally fulfill a solo trip in NZ and driving alone, no pick up strangers as I either need to stop half way for time lapse or rush to another location. For those who going solo next time, try to move off on the 3rd day as I almost had an accident on the 2nd as I am too tired, closed my eyes and I am on the other side of the road, luckily no on coming cars, else I wouldn't be typing this.

Driving there need to be careful on their speed limit and also, try to peek at the GPS (I am using ipad mini 4 for it) when you cannot see the road ahead as you might need to turn after going up the slope. Most town will request you to drop to 50km/h, do so as you might be fine if you are caught speeding but for me, I just let go the gas and let the car slow to that speed before entering. Try not to hog the road and give way. On top of that, if tired, go rest as the road really long and winding, can make your eyes close easily. Petrol are expensive, be prepare to share or have enough for it, always check whether certain areas got petrol station or not else you might ended up pushing the car.

For meals, I do take fast food and pamper myself at restaurant if got time for it. Be prepare for NZD 10 or more per meal, not cheap but fresh, can taste the difference.

I booked motels for most and some got to climb a floor up which quite ok if you don't have much luggage. I got 2 main, 1 camera backpack and 1 small camera bag. I only bring the smaller luggage and the small camera bag. After some time, I also don't bother to put back camera into the bag as time concern. Most motel are clean and parking are free but before I book the motel in Auckland, I checked on hotel, parking is chargeable, take note of that.

Weather wise, haha! Didn't expect it to snow in first week of Oct in some areas. I thought I missed it but I still went into one area which is snowing. It's first month of spring and raining happened quite often in the south island. Since I am doing time lapse, some time the water will appears on the lens, spoil the whole time lapse but no choice, got to bare with it. It's also quite windy in some locations, need to secure tripod!

Need to standby sand fly spray as too many of them in the south island. But seems useless, I got bitten quite badly, haha!

Main purpose, photography. I manage to capture few sunrise but stop doing after some time. Milky way during the first 2 weeks, after that, hard to see as the moon is there and it's set around 10pm. Some locations are closed, so, quite disappointed. Some locations need to trek for an hour in 1 direction and due to time concern, give up in the end. Didn't manage to capture southern lights as the strength is weak plus too cloudy, it's just pure luck btw.

Hopes to see someone also try for a long trip over there one day. :D

Attachments

• DSC03906.jpg
    DSC03906.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC04103.jpg
    DSC04103.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC06558.jpg
    DSC06558.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC08152.jpg
    DSC08152.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC09154.jpg
    DSC09154.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Just came back too from 12 days south island.
Yea sandflies. Now putting mopiko on my legs. Bad bites.
Cloudy most of the time. Sad.
Snow at Crown Range Summit?

Just came back too from 12 days south island.
Yea sandflies. Now putting mopiko on my legs. Bad bites.
Cloudy most of the time. Sad.
Snow at Crown Range Summit?

Arthurs Pass, the castle hill got cover up with snow but nice. Got 50k of photos for time lapse. Roughly another 15k from RX10 mk4. About another 3TB from action camera as I use it as a car camera. I wasted some footage in the first few days due to that I thought loop for 5 mins is every video is 5 mins but ended up 1min and then overwrite :( I then switch back to normal recording, off if remember else full and got to change card. Got 4 x 64GB micro sd, daily transfer and format. Recorded in XAVC format, roughly 2.5 hours each.

Viewing back those video footage (via action camera) while compiling the time lapse. Some of them really nice, esp at the snow areas. Still got a lot of photos for converting to video, then still have to compile individual video before merging all into one. Yup, it will be a very long video in the end but maybe worth to watch if you got the time. :D

Brought the license for LRTimelapse cause for this and few more. Maybe next time can easily over 1k of photos for time lapse liao :p

Finally output the final video. Need to take away quite a bit and also, shorten the timing for each clip if possible. Enjoy the video :D

Went back again for lunar eclipse and manage to capture the whole sequence. Saw a video that the milkyway tail is forming an arch, I went to the hill top at Christchurch and manage to capture it. Funny thing is that weather forecast says it's cloudy but fine on top but whole town already in fog, hehe!