28-70l

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheangv

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Can anyone advice me where I can get the best pricing for this lens and how much?

Does this lens come with a lens hood and lens casing?

Thks

I seen someone selling his used 28-70L maybe on singnet classads ? For used lenses you can try camera workshop or prime camera. New lens ask the prices from Fotoguide and Cathay. Might even have luck at Alex photo or Anthonys at L2 peninsula plaza.

Thats quote a good price from Camera Workshop. I just asked Cathay and they quote me 2250. They emphasised that it came with warranty. Does the one from Camera Workshop come with the warranty?

Originally posted by cheangv
Thats quote a good price from Camera Workshop. I just asked Cathay and they quote me 2250. They emphasised that it came with warranty. Does the one from Camera Workshop come with the warranty?
Most likely not (Kit should be able to confirm this). Alot of the new stuff sold at TCW are grey market items that do not come with the manufacturers' warranty. However, I understand that TCW gives its own 1 year in-shop warranty.

Originally posted by Edmund
Most likely not (Kit should be able to confirm this). Alot of the new stuff sold at TCW are grey market items that do not come with the manufacturers' warranty. However, I understand that TCW gives its own 1 year in-shop warranty.

Yup. Camera Workshop will honour a 1 year warranty. If that doesn't bother you (doesn't bother me), you can save a few hundred. I don't see why not but its up to individual. If I remembered correctly, they also offered me a 7 day trial. FYI, Cathay quoted me $2050 for the 28-70L.

Thks for the info. Anyone has any bad experiences from Camera Workshop's in house warranties? Kit, so what happens if you are not happy after the 7 day trial, you get your money back or they just let you use the credits to purchase something else?

Originally posted by cheangv
Thks for the info. Anyone has any bad experiences from Camera Workshop's in house warranties? Kit, so what happens if you are not happy after the 7 day trial, you get your money back or they just let you use the credits to purchase something else?

The 7 day trial covers only mechanical failure. So you won't benefit from it because you changed your mind on the lens, etc. I can't really remember what they do. Maybe a one to one exchange but don't quote me on that. People working there are friendly and very approachable. I usually speak to Nic or Don.

I'll give you a hint: when buying photography equipment, try to stay on the ground floor. I won't elaborate on that.;)

The price of this lens in HK is about $1300 only. (new and parrellel imported)
This is quite a old lens and the rumoured update 24-105/2.8L maybe out very soon.
So $2K I don't find it worthy to buy it now unless u really need one today.

Originally posted by zhoufang
The price of this lens in HK is about $1300 only. (new and parrellel imported)
This is quite a old lens and the rumoured update 24-105/2.8L maybe out very soon.
So $2K I don't find it worthy to buy it now unless u really need one today.

I have doubts about the performance of the rumoured new lens given the extra range. Avoiding this lens just because its old doesn't justify anything, unless you're concerned with the latest and greatest more than anything else. This is one helluva lens!!!

Actually instead of having extra range on the new lens, I would like to see an updated version of this lens. Maybe with the built of the new 16-35 or the old 20-35. That would be good.

$1300 for the 28-70 is an extremely good buy though if you're in Hong Kong. Anybody got those $88 airtickets to HK from United Airlines? ;p

For Canon L lens most of the later generations are better than earlier one, and Canon should keep it up.
Even if the old one is good enough, wait for the new one to come out and the price of the old drop (new or used).
If you are not very rich wait a year and save few hundred dollar is worthwhile, esp buying a L lens is a long time investment.
That's just my pt of view

I'm not sure if you can say Canon produces better updated lenses. The older 20-35 L seems to receive more praises than the 17-35. For non-L, the 50 f/1.8 Mk I has a more solid metal mount and even a distance scale than the Mk II. And from reviews that I read, the more recent 28-90 lens is crappy.

Lenses are only tools to work with. Don't just change lenses (or body for that matter) because a newer one has come. Unless you really need the functions, zoom range or wider apertures. The 35mm f/2 is such an old lens but you still see pple today interested in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.