28-105 and 70-300 lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandora

May 15, 2002
Visit site
Well, I'm an absolute newbie considering a Nikon F80 and some zoon lenses to go with it. I plan to get a 28-105mm and a 70-300mm lens each, but I have no idea which models I should buy.

I have read a bit of online reviews on different lenses, but all I can say is that the more I read, the more confused and uncertain I am! Hence, I hope experienced users here can help shed some light ...

For 70-300 , I'm considering (on a budget constraint!) between Sigma AF 70-300 f/4-5.6 APO MacroSuper and Tamron AF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 LD. I have the impression (may be wrong as I am clueless) that Tamron lenses are better-built than Sigma lenses, but in this case, the price difference between the two is as much as $100, the Tamron being the cheaper lens.

For the 28-105 range, I don't seem to be able to find one that matches Nikon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 D. Tamron has a the same zoom range, but only at f/4-5.6. As compared to the two above, how does Sigma's 28-135 f/3.8-5.6 DL Aspherical IF Macro fare?

From the list above, which lens should I pick (from each category)? Anyone?

TIA

Can anyone give me some pointers on what to look out when it comes to buying lenses? How do I tell if one is better than another?

Don't buy both lenses so soon...buy one first. The 28-105mm is more than enough to serve you well...and when you really think you need a longer zoom, then get a better lens than the 70-300mm zoom. Nikkor AFD (N) 80-200mm f/2.8 will be your next target, or any other Nikkor primes.

The Nikkor 28-105mm can do 1:2 macro, which is good and convenient all purpose lens. If you want 28-105mm range, buy only Nikkor.

If you are buying new lens, then you don't have to worry much. Just make sure that the lens is new in box, meaning the exterior of the box should be mint...and the packaging of the lens is in good order...plastic bag that store the lens is nice...not like having taken in/out many times...warranty card not cop/fill yet. Buy from reputation shop like CP, then you should be fine.

Just me...

Originally posted by Pandora
Can anyone give me some pointers on what to look out when it comes to buying lenses? How do I tell if one is better than another?

When choosing two different 28-105mm lens (different brand), you can't tell if A brand is better than B brand in optic. You can only judge the exterior built quality.

(1) you usually get what you pay for.
(2) always ask yourself whether you need the focal range you are buying.
(3) I like the sigma 28-70EX (the cheaper non IF version) a lot
(4) I have a mint af nikkor 75-300 5.6 lying around ;)

Originally posted by Kho King

When choosing two different 28-105mm lens (different brand), you can't tell if A brand is better than B brand in optic. You can only judge the exterior built quality.

Exterior build quality ... do you mean the feel and look of the lens?

Exterior build quality ... do you mean the feel and look of the lens?

Yeah...look at the coating too. Good coating should have multi colour...like rainbow but not reflection.

Hold the lens in hand...make sure you like it.

Check those lens through like source...make sure no dust or fungus inside...eventhough they are new...some might still have dust inside. Minor one is acceptable...but you can still ask the saleman to give you a few sample to check...if he is kind enough.

Originally posted by erwinx
(1) you usually get what you pay for.
(2) always ask yourself whether you need the focal range you are buying.
(3) I like the sigma 28-70EX (the cheaper non IF version) a lot
(4) I have a mint af nikkor 75-300 5.6 lying around ;)

erwinx: I am aware that the 70-300 lenses are quite low-end, so its just a matter of which low-end is the lower of the two. ;p So ... nobody can tell me which I should avoid?

Nikkor 75-300? Do you mean 70-300? G-version or ED? Hmm ... and why is it lying around?

Originally posted by Kho King

Yeah...look at the coating too. Good coating should have multi colour...like rainbow but not reflection.

Hold the lens in hand...make sure you like it.

Check those lens through like source...make sure no dust or fungus inside...eventhough they are new...some might still have dust inside. Minor one is acceptable...but you can still ask the saleman to give you a few sample to check...if he is kind enough.

Thanks heaps Kho King.

Actually, I'm taking a basic course on photography and I am required to buy a 70-300. Which I don't really understand why I can't just get a 80-200. In any case, I might get a second-hand 70-300 due to budget restraints (ie. at a price that doesn't pinch!). What else should I look out for when viewing a second-hand?

Thanks heaps Kho King.

Actually, I'm taking a basic course on photography and I am required to buy a 70-300. Which I don't really understand why I can't just get a 80-200. In any case, I might get a second-hand 70-300 due to budget restraints (ie. at a price that doesn't pinch!). What else should I look out for when viewing a second-hand?

That's kind of strange. What kind of courses REQUIRE you to buy a particular lens whether or not you need it?

Regards
CK

What else should I look out for when viewing a second-hand?

Check my website. There is a page on choosing a 2nd hand lens, my 2 cents there. Under My Resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.