27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, thought, its painting, photographs oso can? But I saw that they are inviting "photographer" to join......

Can photographs be edited? like hdr?

ANYTHING CAN!

You know, we Singaporeans are so used to rules and regulations that we keep wondering whether this or that can or cannot. So long as never say cannot, it means can!

This is the "No U-Turn" syndrome that Sim Wong Hoo of Creative Technology once wrote about and got later quoted in Parliament.

In countries like the US, as long as never say "No U-Turn" it means can U-Turn. In Singapore, it is the other way around. Unless says can U-Turn, it means CANNOT!

Note, however, that this is an ART competition and not a regular PHOTO competition.

If you look at some of the past winners, they are not the typical sort of photos that win photography contests. In fact, many of my photography friends could not accept last year's winning entry because they felt it was not a good photograph, let alone a great photograph.

It was a photo of an old wall with old wall paper, peeling off at the sides, that shows a forest.

Since it was taken indoors, lighting was not great.
Since it was a wall, it was mostly two-dimentional, no depth of field.
Since it was a wall, it had no "decisive moment".
etc etc.

But the judges -- mostly artists, including ex-head of La Salle plus one photographer-turned artist (forgot his name, he is the guy who runs art gallery at MITA House, made the news when Garman did not allow him to display a huge nude painting) -- deemed this to be a great piece of photographic art, worthy of the $8,000 top prize (which has now been raised to $10,000).

Hard to say what makes photography art. Harder to predict how the judges decide on this.

i think also, the past winners have at least a toehold in the arts scene. It actually counts if the judges know you're in that scene. i.e. not some wedding photog anyhow hantam smiling people.

i think also, the past winners have at least a toehold in the arts scene. It actually counts if the judges know you're in that scene. i.e. not some wedding photog anyhow hantam smiling people.

I don't think judges are supposed to know which photo / artwork was done by who.

Unless they know each other so well that they are familiar with the artists' / photographers' works.

But then there is a panel of several judges. Wah must be very famous to be known to all of them!

haha.... try it.

haha.... try it.

Er... you know something that I don't?

Yes I have tried, although without success so far but I still intend to try again.

Perhaps I am naive but I would like to believe that competitions of this nature are conducted fairly rather than winners picked because they know (or are known to) the judges.

I, for one, felt that last year's winning photo was truly deserving. Even though it was not a "good" photo by the usual photographic criteria, I felt it was a good / great piece of art. In my earlier post, I said my friends could not accept it. But I can.

I cannot say the same for some of the other pixs selected for exhibition, though. In particular, I felt one of the pixs look like IKEA poster.

Definitely i do not want to imply that it's absolutely rigged. But as you're aware, style and artistry is very much an individual thing, and you'd be surprised how much it's possible to identify these artists especially if you've been exposed to the artworks & style. But perhaps that's why they are picked in the first place.

Definitely i do not want to imply that it's absolutely rigged. But as you're aware, style and artistry is very much an individual thing, and you'd be surprised how much it's possible to identify these artists especially if you've been exposed to the artworks & style. But perhaps that's why they are picked in the first place.

Agree. Especially with paintings and to a large extent even with photography, it is possible / quite easy to identify the style of the artist / photographer.

Some of my friends can identify my photos without looking at name to tell that it was taken by me. If only they are the judges...

Are these images available for viewing? Thanks.

I, for one, felt that last year's winning photo was truly deserving. Even though it was not a "good" photo by the usual photographic criteria, I felt it was a good / great piece of art. In my earlier post, I said my friends could not accept it. But I can.

So much talk about the past year winning photography and many people do not understand ( included me) how they selected the winner's photo and what they want. To me the last year winning photo is so normal, they call it art? To the judges it is a distingue art.
I have one suggestion, why dont all of us to post some photo you thing is an art in the abstracts and still life section? I will start first, what do you think? The photo art can be any subject you think it is art.

O, I thought they have it published in the internet....this is the 1st time I am looking at this, so I have no history about this event. Thanks.

They are probably in some UOB storeroom, ha ha. I don't think they are on the internet, if that is what you are asking. Go ask OUB lah, and let us know ;-)

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.