270106 Chinatown Walkabout

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfoo

Apr 7, 2004
Went for a short walkabout just before lunchtime. Here are some shots to share:

Pix 01
01.jpg

My original intention was to take a shot of this fella cutting some tasting samples. But I saw the lady gaining an interest in what he was doing, I included her in the shot.

Pix 02
02.jpg

I guess this old gentleman has been 'shot' to death so I decided to 'shoot' him differently with passer-bys looking at him or not.

Pix 03
03.jpg

The shop assistant was demoing some preserved meat. As you know, Singaporeans are a very kapoh lot. Same as me.

Pix 04
04.jpg

Decided to take a drink break at the pavilion shelter. Guess what caught my attention?

Pix 05
05.jpg

Just simply couldn't resist catching this old lady making her selection.

Pix 06
06.jpg

Two of the many foreign children on school tours to the area. The Chinese girl just happened to come into the shot at the right time for me and the expression was just right.

Pix 07
07.jpg

This was a pure grab shot. I shot this while walking with the camera
straight down. I caught this girl sharing a laugh with her colleague out
of the frame.

Pix 08
08.jpg

I had just finished answering a call on my cell when I saw this coconut seller 'watering' his goods. Too good to pass it up and grabbed the shot. Tried to get a second one with a wider view but the watering session is over.

Pix 09
09.jpg

Was actually on my way out to the busstop but decided to detour to the market to see if
anything's interesting. Yummy sotong!

Pix 10
10.jpg

And cuttlefish!

Pix 11
11.jpg

And veggies. Must eat your veggies.

Pix 12
12.jpg

I was at this veggie stall grabbing closeups of her produce. I think
I might have overstayed my welcome but I couldn't give up getting
this shot as she was arranging her stock. This is a grab shot from
waist level with the lens prefocused.

That's all folks!

Comments welcomed.

it'd be better if you let the pictures do the talking rather than lengthy comments. unless of course you want this to be photojournalistic style. even so, it's better to describe what's going on in the pic rather than why and how you got a shot.

all IMHO.

i tend to agree.

nothing too much to read into street photography...

some of the shots are really cluttered, or the subject is uninteresting. don't get me wrong when i use the term "uninteresting" - coz everybody is interesting. what i meant, is that the subject is not really doing something that can interest the viewer, or some lack of eye contact, need to seek a better angle, kind of things.

also when i say "cluttered", it doesn't necessarily mean bad. clutter is good, but it's only as good as how you can show the main subject in the clutter. for certain shots, it may be good to put it in black and white - eliminating the colours makes it easier for the viewer's eyes to track - couple that with some burning and dodging, and you should have managed to make the viewer focus on something...

just my few cents.

shoot more ! :)

i tend to agree with the above.

maybe some tight composition to some interesting ''event'' happening around that area..:vhappy: :vhappy: :vhappy:

Status
Not open for further replies.