250GB SATA HDD choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carllim

Apr 15, 2003
Near Tampines MRT
Visit site
I am planning to get a new 200~250GB sata hdd soon, any idea which brand/model to go for? Reliability is the most important factor.

Hitachi, Maxtor, Seagate or Western Digital? :dunno:

Maxtor!!! :thumbsup:
Used to be Quantum, then IBM. Now its Maxtor.

Seagate lah...

i still have a Seagate Medalist 17.2GB Ultra ATA, running for six years liaoz, no bad sectors at all...

i advise that you get the Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB (8MB/NCQ) SATA-150. Around $250 + 5 years warranty leh

Using WD now.. recommended by my friend who does systems more than I do now... :D

IMO, they are all equally Lousy and prone to failure. Remember thosea re consumer grade and therefore not as reliable as scsi. My suggestion, go for the ulimate cheapest.... If data is really that important you can do what I did. I bought 3 samsung SATA cos they are cheapest and I bought a 3ware SATA raid controller and set up raid 5. Reason for this setup is cos its cheaper than a tape backup or io mega tape drive. :devil:

I'm using 160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 (8MB/NCQ) SATA. Happy with it. Will going back for this model on my next HDD addon.

Hope I don't confuse you further :p

To tell you the truth......the brand doesn't really matters nowadays.....

Why? Becos, even under the same brand, there are different models and some models produce better yield than others at the production lines.

Then...same model has different batches produced off the line too at different time of the day.

So, if you are so lucky to buy one when that particular line it's from is "throwing a temper"......then keep your fingers crossed.

Of course, most of the time,quality consistency should be there and is very impt during production, but sometimes just suay suay buy the problematic one also bo pian........

Some drives when you just started to use can run swee swee....then mati suddenly...:eek:

Some like abit cannot make it.....but can tahan damn long...:sweat:

5 yrs warranty is nice though....;)

Just found out that my PSU only comes with legacy molex power connectors and the new seagate 7200.8s uses sata power connectors. :(

I'm narrowing down to Hitachi, Maxtor and WD now...

brand doesn't matter.. the main thing is DO BACKUP! :)

Carllim said:
Just found out that my PSU only comes with legacy molex power connectors and the new seagate 7200.8s uses sata power connectors. :(

I'm narrowing down to Hitachi, Maxtor and WD now...

There are Molex to SATA power cables, ya' know?

Firefox said:
There are Molex to SATA power cables, ya' know?
My mobo comes with it :) You can purchase them I believe.

djork said:
any noticeable difference between a sata and a normal ide drive?

hehehe On Linux, I see diff. on windows, I dun know.... :bsmilie:

ST_sg said:
is this Hitachi 250 SATA-II using ordinary Molex power connector? :eek:

It comes with both type of power connectors and uses a native SATA controller, just like Seagate. No "Marvel" chip. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.