25 Photo Cliches You Should Stop Doing

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
Please, not another one! Here are 25 photo clichés you should stop doing, if you wanna take your photography onwards and upwards.

[video=youtube;YtxzJlpvqQM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtxzJlpvqQM[/video]

HA! HA! HA! HA!

He left out food photos.

25 Photography Cliches to Avoid (or Else)

1. Taking selfies. Please stop?
  2. Bokeh, bokeh, and more bokeh. Bokeh is great—in small doses.
  3. Signing your photos. In Kai’s words: “Who do you think you are? Picasso?”
  4. Adding cheesy filters. Just… no.
  5. Putting text on your photos. A good picture already paints a thousand words.
  6. Taking the same-old sunset photos. “Red sky, red sky, red sky, red sky, red sky…”
  7. Using obnoxious watermarks. It’s good to protect your work, but if no one can see your photo behind your large opaque branding, then what’s the point of posting it online?
  8. Adding borders. Don’t be a noob.
  9. Light painting names. Just forget it—the writing would look juvenile anyway.
  10. Creating B&W photos with selective colors. Good for poignant tales. Not so good for random flowers.
  11. Making B&W artistic nudes. A nude is a nude no matter the color space, people.
  12. Blurring waterfalls. If shot incorrectly, blurred waterfalls look like “a load of old ladies’ hairs.”
  13. Capturing boring landscape panoramas. 90 percent of landscape panoramas are probably just green grass at the bottom and blue sky at the top.
  14. Taking lots of cloud photos. Take photos of cool cloud formations, sure—but don’t make clouds and sunsets your entire portfolio!
  15. Inserting fake sun lens flare. Get your own sun flare!
  16. Overdoing HDR. HDR is best done tastefully or not at all.
  17. Changing better-suited color photos to B&W. Just… why?
  18. Using the zoom burst technique. Okay, you can try it ONCE—but never again.
  19. Creating dutch angle shots. You’ll have to work hard to set your dutch angle shots apart.
  20. Making “postcard” images of tourist attractions. You know those touristy shots that you’ve seen a million times? We don’t need another one floating around out there. Try something new!
  21. Photographing people who are less fortunate than you. Everyone photographs homeless people. Make your images unique or don’t make them at all.
  22. Taking “I’m a Photographer” selfies. Don’t you do it!
  23. Every. Single. Stock. Photo. Ever. Made. Perhaps not every stock photo, but certainly most!
  24. Devising optical illusions. You might think you’re clever, but…
  25. Photographing people with trollies. Apparently, Kai does this far too often.

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/25-photography-cliches-you-should-stop-doing-today/

I think I will dig out some photos to show what have I done before...... lol.

The irony is, Kai is guilty of a number of these clichés.

Hahaha I havent used up my one chance yet. Nice.

Bokeh bokeh Bokeh!!
:D

1. Adding borders. Don’t be a noob.
lol....

DSC_6855s.jpg

26) More forum post than photos ;p ;)

1. Using obnoxious watermarks. It’s good to protect your work, but if no one can see your photo behind your large opaque branding, then what’s the point of posting it online?

I bet most of members have not seen this yet. lol

watermarks.jpg

Last edited:
Try to post this thread in the Landscape Section, can anticipate the response will receive.

I consider this vid as an entertainment.... period...

I don't do most of them but the only one I have to put in something is my copyright and name of ownership since I post them on facebook for my family and relative to see and I am always suspecting the worst about facebook policy that has in the past changed to favour them and whose to say in their future. But a lot of the other stuff do make sense to stop.

Taking “I’m a Photographer” selfies

Geezus does this count :confused:

10489830_715686761823362_7722122946501608143_n.jpg

I don't do all of them ableit watermarking it's the usual norm right :)

Last edited:
This is the 25 things that I'm going to do, so do I have to stop now ? =)

I see it as a challenge: how to do the 25 things in even better (nicer) ways.

Awwwwww! I am guilty of all 25 of them! But looked at my signature...