24-70mm f/2.8G

Irvine said:
no. it's the fact that u r using a DX body.

i repeat: focal length does NOT change. only field of view is affected.

be it a FX lens or a DX lens, as long as it's mounted on a DX body, the field of view on DX is the same as the field of view on FX of wadever focal length u use on DX body x crop factor of 1.5.

just that u enjoy the "sweet spot" advantage using FX lenses due to the smaller size of the DX sensor.

You almost got me confuse here. 17-55mm is a DX lens. Thus, mounted on a DX body gives you the focal length of 17-55mm.
If the DX lens mounted on DX body still x1.5 the focal length, then why bother buying it when you can get the FX instead?

Last edited:
What Irvine explained is correct. If you still feel confused, you may read the detailed article I gave you earlier. You will understand why.

http://mansurovs.com/equivalent-foca...-field-of-view

You almost got me confuse here. 17-55mm is a DX lens. Thus, mounted on a DX body gives you the focal length of 17-55mm.
If the DX lens mounted on DX body still x1.5 the focal length, then why bother buying it when you can get the FX instead?

IMO, DX lenses are supposedly made to be more affordable for the consumers with its cheaper construction.

as for the 17-55 f/2.8, it's a professional grade lens. the reason why they made the 17-55 f/2.8 for DX might be coz it will be close to the field of view of 24-70 f/2.8 when mounted on FX body. 17-55 on DX gives u 25.5mm-82.5mm field of view on FX.

Irvine said:
IMO, DX lenses are supposedly made to be more affordable for the consumers with its cheaper construction.

as for the 17-55 f/2.8, it's a professional grade lens. the reason why they made the 17-55 f/2.8 for DX might be coz it will be close to the field of view of 24-70 f/2.8 when mounted on FX body. 17-55 on DX gives u 25.5mm-82.5mm field of view on FX.
Oh, now things seems clearer to me now. I always thought that DX lenses are made specially for DX bodies because it won't change the FL or FOV. Now I get it.

Oh, now things seems clearer to me now. I always thought that DX lenses are made specially for DX bodies because it won't change the FL or FOV. Now I get it.

i was confused with it also in the past. :embrass: i had the same thinking as u last time until i googled them up.

If you're not planning to switch to Full frame anytime in the near future, I would suggest 17-55 instead. 24mm on DX is quite tight and you won't be able to pull off some "wide angle" shots which you can get with at 17mm.

Amazon now is selling

Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens for
usd2185 - usd400 (amazon discount) = usd1785 - usd400 (D7000 bundle discount) = usd1385

Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens
usd1700 - usd300 (d7000 bundle discount) = usd1400

I want to use it more for street and portrait photography ... also Macro.

Can advise me?

Wow, these are certainly very attractive prices. Actually looking at your lens inclinations, you would be better off with a FF camera, wait for the D700 replacement if you can.

Using these FX lenses on crop would be a waste and they are also heavy. You cannot get a proper wide angle from the 24-70 on DX so it is not viable for me.

But if you were to upgrade to FX in the future, then a temporary measure would be to get the 24-70 first. You might not take to the 14-24 very well as you can't use filters on it and the focal range is limited and now Nikon has the 16-35 f4 so you have other options.

A 17-50/55 is ideal for DX but I feel the N17-55 is overpriced and others have already suggested more reasonably priced third party alternatives.

If you are serious about macro you should get a dedicated macro lens, like the 105 or 200 micro. Otherwise go for tubes or reverse your lenses.