24-70mm 2.8 compared to 24-120mm f4

hurrican3

Feb 12, 2015
Singapore
Hi there I just got a D750 which came with the kit lens 24-120 f/4. Am considering to get the 24-70 2.8. Am in a dilemma if I should get it.

Anyone able to tell me the advantages I'll get if I get the 24-70? Besides overall sharpness and better aperture is there any other benefits? I'll be losing the VR though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there I just got a D750 which came with the kit lens 24-120 f/4. Am considering to get the 24-70 2.8. Am in a dilemma if I should get it.

Anyone able to tell me the advantages I'll get if I get the 24-70? Besides overall sharpness and better aperture is there any other benefits? I'll be losing the VR though.

i believe u spent thousands of dollarsnon ur camera body n lens is for taking more "pro" looking photos rite. if u r more on video then vr will play an more important role ba.

sell ur 24-120 n get tamron 24-70vc, problem solved

i believe u spent thousands of dollarsnon ur camera body n lens is for taking more "pro" looking photos rite. if u r more on video then vr will play an more important role ba.

sell ur 24-120 n get tamron 24-70vc, problem solved

I've been using Canon for the last 3 years. Was having a 6D and my primary lens was a 24-70 MK II. I loved it the quality and sharpness. Moved over to Nikon cos of this new D750 which was launched. Have to say that it's one hell of a power packed camera. Only that the 24-120 is not that great in low light.

Will head down to Nikon showroom and have a look. Will try the lens out and probably give it a go.

I've been using Canon for the last 3 years. Was having a 6D and my primary lens was a 24-70 MK II. I loved it the quality and sharpness. Moved over to Nikon cos of this new D750 which was launched. Have to say that it's one hell of a power packed camera. Only that the 24-120 is not that great in low light.

Will head down to Nikon showroom and have a look. Will try the lens out and probably give it a go.

Good to go down showroom to give it a try, and best to rent the lens to give it a try in an actual usage scenario. (Camera rental center has saved me many a times)

The VR will give you the 1 extra stop of light loss for the F4 vs F2.8 easily, and you'll be suprised by the D750's excellent high ISO performance too. Of course if you're going for a thinner depth of field or higher shutter speed with the extra light, the 24-70/2.8 will be a better choice there.

I'm using the D810, and i'm very happy with the 24-120/4 mainly due to its portability and slightly extra reach at 120mm.

Hi TS,

I would dare say its more the biggest aperture size than the sharpness.

Yes, the 24-70mm f/2.8 is sharp but unless you pixel peep at the exit and corner, it is unlikely you notice the difference.

At the end of the day, we look at a digital photo mostly at 1920 x 1280 pixels on the screen and it is hard to tell the difference or even in 8R prints.

Since you already have the coverage of 24 to 120 which covers the same range and more than the 24-70mm f/2.8, it might be a little wasteful to get a lens of the same coverage unless you really need the f/2.8 and the focusing speed of the 24-70mm f/2.8 when light is bad or 1 stop in DOF matters that much although I would also say the bokeh of the 24-70mm f/2.8 is nothing to brag about.

Personally, I use the 24-70mm f/2.8 for events and the biggest aperture of f/2.8 helps in acquiring accurate and fast focus during indoor shoots when light is not that great (ie. Ballrooms, unlit living rooms, bed rooms)

[Note: During focus acquisition, the largest aperture of the lens is used to acquire focus when closing up to the user set aperture)

Advantages of the 24-120:
  1. Portablity. Much lighter than 24-70. You are more likely to carry a lighter lens around
  2. VR. Because of this you might actually get sharper images with this lans than the 24-70
  3. Price. Free for you since you already have it. The gain in optical performance will be minimal with 24-70. Also keep in mind that the 24-70 might be replaced soon & is an old design.

Advantages of the 24-70:
  1. 2.8 aperture. If you expect to shoot mostly at this apperture, consider this lens.
  2. Bokeh. Better bokeh compared to the 24-120.

Thom Hogan has useful commentary on many Nikon lenses here: http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/february-2015-nikon-lens.html.

Ultimately each shooter is different, but I agree with Thom that the 24-70 2.8 is a dated lens for the money you will be paying.

oThere is rumored to be an update version of the 24-70 soon with VR. Hopefully it solves the len barrel failure issues with this lens. Just a different opinion on a professional basis is that this 24-70 focal range may not be the best to use professionally - it depends on how you shoot. I find the weight and max focal length of 70 a problem to how I work. The 2.8 is not a deal maker for me.

Of course got differences. And we are comparing two lens of difrerent focal range, 24-70 is the best in its league for a short/mid zoom, the 24-120 is a do-it-all. I used 24-70 many years, 24-120 tested for a few jobs lately.

24-70, focus more accurately and way faster,
DOF, 2.8 is 2.8, 4.0 can never be 2.8, it is only one stop, but visually big difference,
Distortion and how images renders.
More solid construction.

The VR for the 24-120 is more for when you zoom into the telephoto range beyond 85mm.

I swear by my Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8 for years even if the new Tamrom's new 24-70mm is able to surpass mine in many areas but I am very use to it and unless I break it I would not think I will change it. I use to have the 24-120mm which is not too bad especially if there is only one lens you want to travel with. That would be a great go to lens and the IQ is good enough and on a D750 it should be a fine combo.

But you want to shoot video both zoom lens are not that good. I hate shooting video with my 24-70mm as the AF is just not good or fast. And trying to zoom in and out is just not great on my D4. VR does help a lot for video and if you do a lot of that...stay with lens that have VR. This is not to say you can not use non VR lens to do video. I would do that but i would treat my video shooting as something I do at one focal length. I will not zoom but stop the recording and zoom to a new length and then continue and do my video editing later. Which is what I like for more control on my video production anyway.

If you need spot on AF and able to AF in darkness (with a good body), I can assure you, the 24-70 will behave as needed.

The 24-120 f/4 is a very good lens, but I have not pushed it to the max yet, good for general walk around and non-professional usage.