24-70 vs 17-55

niciku

Sep 30, 2009
Which lens do u guys think would be better?in term of image quality..

The lens will be used on crop body for a walkabout lens

Need opinions on fellow users of these lenses...

Which one would u guys choose?:D

the 24-70 is for full-frame cameras, the 17-55 is for crop cameras, why do you have to chose? :)

u cant compare the 2 lens as they give different focal length on your crop body.

and if u compare them on crop and full frame body the result is also different as the body will make a diff.

Depends entirely on you...
In the end you'll have 30 people recommending 17-55 (coz they probably own it or WANT to own it) and 30 people recommending 24-70 (same reasons)... then how?

Since image quality is your main concern, have you bothered to read any of the MANY reviews online that measure things like sharpness, chromatic aberration, etc?

It's really up to you isn't it? I'll take the 24-70mm, but that's me.

concentrating on "in terms of quality"..I vote for 24-70 for corner sharpness..but are you really fine with the range on a cropped sensor?

yeah, u are using a cropped body.. do u want to go for 24-70?

And... *which* 24-70? The Canon L one is actually quite poor compared to others. Then theres Sigma, etc.

And... *which* 24-70? The Canon L one is actually quite poor compared to others. Then theres Sigma, etc.

Haha.. Good point. I just assumed that TS was referring to the Canon one.. Talk about assumptions...

go for 17-55.

Haha.. Good point. I just assumed that TS was referring to the Canon one.. Talk about assumptions...

nope. i think he's talking about nikon.

sharpness : both
image colour : 24-70
Wide : 17-55
Reach : 24-70
Image stabalizer : 17-55
Weight : 17-55 lighter by 300+/- grams
Lens mount : EF vs EF-S
Lens hood : 24-70 comes with hood
Weather sealed : 24-70
Size : 17-55 more compact

nope. i think he's talking about nikon.

Err.. TS indicated that he uses a Canon 500D in his signature. So I thought he was referring to the Canon ones.

It can very well be the Nikon too.

Err.. TS indicated that he uses a Canon 500D in his signature. So I thought he was referring to the Canon ones.

It can very well be the Nikon too.

yes i am aware. but he assumes everyone knows for what system.

yes i am aware. but he assumes everyone knows for what system.

Because maybe he assumes there's only one DSLR brand? :dunno:

sorry if i didnt mention it clearly...but i did say for crop body...

maybe as what zca said based on opinions would be hard to decide...

perhaps i should jus rent them and use it..

but i still think if i use them for only a short period of time , for example ,1-3 days..i may not be able to know which one is better...:)

Thanks for the replies anyways:)

To add on to the details..it would be for canon 500D..and both lenses are canon brand..

but i still think if i use them for only a short period of time , for example ,1-3 days..i may not be able to know which one is better...:)
The term "better" here also needs a reference in terms of usage. Sometimes 24 is too long, sometimes 55 is too short...