24-105L+EX580II vs 24-70L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prehaps u want to consider this, buying of lense is not really about covering ranges, it is more about what u need.

Do u need the addition range form 55-105 that the 24-105 gives u? Are u willing to give up the 18-24mm range that the 24-105 does not give? If you are, prehaps the 24-105 is good for you bearing in mind that this lens will be what u have mounted most of the time.

If you really want to make full use of ambient light, than a f2.8 lens will be alot more useful. You may be shooting f11-f16 at night, but wait till you can shoot at f2.8 handheld and still yield decent pic, things may change. Of course, it depends on your shooting style again, what DOF are you looking for.

If you are comfortable with your kit lens and do not need additional range, the 17-55 f2.8 is a good lens to consider....... really...... It is slightly cheaper than the 24-105, image qlty is, as some will say, the same....... and it is lighter. You can also buy a EX580II to go with it. It focus as fast as the L lenses

If you want the f2.8, dont mind losing 17-24 but gaining a little more reach, dont mind the weight, than the 24-70 is the lens to choose.

For me, i would choose the 24-105L+580II as I like the additional 70-105mm reach that it gives me. I used to have the 18-55 and 28-105. The 28-105 stays on my camera 75% of the time. the 18-55, less than 10%. When I went about looking for a "better" lens, I bought the 24-105. It was what I "needed"

Prehaps u want to consider this, buying of lense is not really about covering ranges, it is more about what u need.

Do u need the addition range form 55-105 that the 24-105 gives u? Are u willing to give up the 18-24mm range that the 24-105 does not give? If you are, prehaps the 24-105 is good for you bearing in mind that this lens will be what u have mounted most of the time.

If you really want to make full use of ambient light, than a f2.8 lens will be alot more useful. You may be shooting f11-f16 at night, but wait till you can shoot at f2.8 handheld and still yield decent pic, things may change. Of course, it depends on your shooting style again, what DOF are you looking for.

If you are comfortable with your kit lens and do not need additional range, the 17-55 f2.8 is a good lens to consider....... really...... It is slightly cheaper than the 24-105, image qlty is, as some will say, the same....... and it is lighter. You can also buy a EX580II to go with it. It focus as fast as the L lenses

If you want the f2.8, dont mind losing 17-24 but gaining a little more reach, dont mind the weight, than the 24-70 is the lens to choose.

For me, i would choose the 24-105L+580II as I like the additional 70-105mm reach that it gives me. I used to have the 18-55 and 28-105. The 28-105 stays on my camera 75% of the time. the 18-55, less than 10%. When I went about looking for a "better" lens, I bought the 24-105. It was what I "needed"

Thanks for telling me your personal experience with choosing lens that you need. That really made me see much lights about the confusion I'm having with the lenses. Maybe it's because justification of the prices that made me so fussy about my choice, if it were any cheaper lens, I'll take the 24-70L without hesitation based on the specifications and resulting picture quality from reviews.

Yes, I need the 24-70L. I say this today and I will say this countless years from now. It might not be on the camera 100% of the time, but it will be general-purpose enough for me to mount it on most of the time, making the worth out of the money I spent because I need it, not because I want it.

Thank you. 24-70L+EX580II final. Thanks to everyone who beared with me through my very confused posts. Cheers!

According to the ClubSnap price list, the mentioned EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is around $1300. I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay 13x more for a focal length range my kit lens at 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 NON-IS is already delivering. I don't believe I can tell the difference in IQ from the images from the two lenses anyway, and my 50mm 1.8 is doing most of the portrait shots at this range so that covers the need for a max aperture.

You cannot look at it this way. A lot of people who first come across the 17-55 f/2.8 don't understand the difference.

"But it's almost the same focal length as my kit lens what..."

It is, but the image quality is like that of a L lens. You will definitely miss the wideness of the 17-55 if you go for a 24-70. I've shot extensively on a 24-85 on a 1.6x crop body. It was really sucky compared to even using a cheaper alternative, the Tamron 17-50. 17mm is really versatile and liberating.

Last edited:
good luck on your decision for the 24-70 and 580EX purchase. it pays if you have the cash to buy the bLah bLah bLah lenses.

You cannot look at it this way. A lot of people who first come across the 17-55 f/2.8 don't understand the difference.

"But it's almost the same focal length as my kit lens what..."

It is, but the image quality is like that of a L lens. You will definitely miss the wideness of the 17-55 if you go for a 24-70. I've shot extensively on a 24-85 on a 1.6x crop body. It was really sucky compared to even using a cheaper alternative, the Tamron 17-50. 17mm is really versatile and liberating.

Not sure if I'll feel this way as I might be getting a wider angle alternatives from 3rd parties when the need arises. Not considering it yet as I don't need it now so we'll see. I'm very happy with 24-70mm now. :)

good luck on your decision for the 24-70 and 580EX purchase. it pays if you have the cash to buy the bLah bLah bLah lenses.

Thank you. I've bought it and enjoying it!

Not sure if I'll feel this way as I might be getting a wider angle alternatives from 3rd parties when the need arises. Not considering it yet as I don't need it now so we'll see. I'm very happy with 24-70mm now. :)

Thank you. I've bought it and enjoying it!

Cool stuff. Do share your photos :)

Since you have already went ahead, there is always the Canon EF-S 10-22, Sigma 10-20, Tokina 12-24 and 11-16. So many choices. Haha.

Cool stuff. Do share your photos :)

Since you have already went ahead, there is always the Canon EF-S 10-22, Sigma 10-20, Tokina 12-24 and 11-16. So many choices. Haha.

Sure will but seems like the critics here damn fierce, so gotta learn abit more before doing anything silly.

BTW will any of the 3rd-parties lenses work with EF-mount only camera bodies? I know EF-S won't so I'm having second thoughts.

Sure will but seems like the critics here damn fierce, so gotta learn abit more before doing anything silly.

BTW will any of the 3rd-parties lenses work with EF-mount only camera bodies? I know EF-S won't so I'm having second thoughts.

They will, but you will still get a reduced image circle, so no real point. I bought the Sigma 10-20 when I was on a 30D, then sold it when I upgraded to a 1.3x crop camera (doesn't accept EF-S), but not before trying it out to see how far I could go.

This was shot at 13mm. Anything wider and I'd see obvious vignetting.

109c10cc020821fc0eb71d5076c60c21.jpg

They will, but you will still get a reduced image circle, so no real point. I bought the Sigma 10-20 when I was on a 30D, then sold it when I upgraded to a 1.3x crop camera (doesn't accept EF-S), but not before trying it out to see how far I could go.

This was shot at 13mm. Anything wider and I'd see obvious vignetting.

Oh okie, so UWA lens should consider more before I act. Though vignetting can be a charm sometimes, haha. Thanks for sharing.

Wao... in conclusion it is a 24-70L + EX580II.

As what i always share with my friend, get the best if you can afford it. Dont buy a F4L because it is cheaper, and in the end few months later sell the F4L and buy another F2.8L.

24-70L is a very heavy lens, jus like carrying a 70-200 as your general lens(of cos 24-70 is lighter). So do consider the weight factor.

A EX580II is great. it can do alot more than 430. Provided you know how to use it. Or else it is just a heavier and more powerful flash.

Good buy. But do invest in a good filter for ur L lens. Maybe a B&W or at least a Hoya Super SMC. :bsmilie:

Wao... in conclusion it is a 24-70L + EX580II.

As what i always share with my friend, get the best if you can afford it. Dont buy a F4L because it is cheaper, and in the end few months later sell the F4L and buy another F2.8L.

24-70L is a very heavy lens, jus like carrying a 70-200 as your general lens(of cos 24-70 is lighter). So do consider the weight factor.

A EX580II is great. it can do alot more than 430. Provided you know how to use it. Or else it is just a heavier and more powerful flash.

Good buy. But do invest in a good filter for ur L lens. Maybe a B&W or at least a Hoya Super SMC. :bsmilie:

For started I just bought a UV filter to protect the lens. Gonna be attached forever now.

Status
Not open for further replies.