2100uz .. dead pixel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsQ

Jan 27, 2002
River Valley
Visit site
I just bought it today... came back and shot like how Jayan instructed to check dead pixel on CCD..

I did a 1, 2, 4, 6" shot with the lens cap on. Other setting not too sure, but i think its set at ISO100 and F2.8

Then on the LCD got 2 dots visible esp in 2,4 and 6".. Red on top right and Green on bottom left.

Is these CCD dead pixel ? It should be the LCD as i check both the EVF and bacl LCD it shows the same 2 dots.

I have not transfer it to the PC as I havent install the software. And I thought many I should not open the software since AP might want to exchange it tomorrow....

so just like to ask.. are those comfirmed dead pixel on CCD? if so i just go back later.. no need to test furthermore.

Originally posted by TsQ
I just bought it today... came back and shot like how Jayan instructed to check dead pixel on CCD..

I did a 1, 2, 4, 6" shot with the lens cap on. Other setting not too sure, but i think its set at ISO100 and F2.8

Then on the LCD got 2 dots visible esp in 2,4 and 6".. Red on top right and Green on bottom left.

Is these CCD dead pixel ? It should be the LCD as i check both the EVF and bacl LCD it shows the same 2 dots.

I have not transfer it to the PC as I havent install the software. And I thought many I should not open the software since AP might want to exchange it tomorrow....

so just like to ask.. are those comfirmed dead pixel on CCD? if so i just go back later.. no need to test furthermore.

Erm...you better manually set the ISO to 100...cos if at auto the DC will auto-set to ISO400 in a pitch black environment.

At the ISO 400, no matter what u do, sure got some serious noise one!!!!

Originally posted by Jayan

Erm...you better manually set the ISO to 100...cos if at auto the DC will auto-set to ISO400 in a pitch black environment.

At the ISO 400, no matter what u do, sure got some serious noise one!!!!

yah I change from AUTO-> ISO100, then set the dial to M and set it to 1"~8", in 2" onwards the 2 red and green dots appears at the same place... I only can see this in LCD, I did not transfer it to my PC yet as i havent install the program.

so, it should be dead CCD pixel ? :(

Originally posted by TsQ

yah I change from AUTO-> ISO100, then set the dial to M and set it to 1"~8", in 2" onwards the 2 red and green dots appears at the same place... I only can see this in LCD, I did not transfer it to my PC yet as i havent install the program.

so, it should be dead CCD pixel ? :(

More likely hot pixels.......

By the way, did u shoot the pix in either TIFF or SHQ JPEG format at 1600x1200 resloution???

Once u have done that (remeber to allow ur CCD to cool down 1st...).

U go install the Camedia Master program....d/l the pix onto ur PC....and chk again. If the red and gree dots appear in the same location, but get brighter the longer the exposure, then confirm is hot pixels liao.

What u can do now is to pay Olympus Singapore a visit...tell them u got hot pixels problem...if better, show them a print-out on their locations.

Then they'll do a CCD remap and update the firmware for u....the hotties should show up only after 4 sec or later after this. ;)

yea.. definately ISO100, in TIFF at 1600x1200, before that didnt shoot any photo, just setting it up only.. still got 2 dots on the same location.

so can confirmed its dead pixel?... dont really need to download to the PC rite? cos AP asked me to go back and show them tomorrow.. i dont want to open up all the software (sealed) and then return... not nice lar

btw if its hot pixel, wouldnt it appear randomly? as for my case, its the same old position...

Originally posted by TsQ
yea.. definately ISO100, in TIFF at 1600x1200, before that didnt shoot any photo, just setting it up only.. still got 2 dots on the same location.

so can confirmed its dead pixel?... dont really need to download to the PC rite? cos AP asked me to go back and show them tomorrow.. i dont want to open up all the software (sealed) and then return... not nice lar

btw if its hot pixel, wouldnt it appear randomly? as for my case, its the same old position...

The hot pixels always stay in the same position lah...these r caused by the cells on the CCD chip that are more 'sensitive'.

U still think its hot not dead pixel eh? .. but even at ISO100 1" i get to see it.. but not as bright as in 2" or more.. the camera is cooled down.. i just let it rest for like 30 mins and pick it up the shoot it with lens cover on.

Originally posted by TsQ
U still think its hot not dead pixel eh? .. but even at ISO100 1" i get to see it.. but not as bright as in 2" or more.. the camera is cooled down.. i just let it rest for like 30 mins and pick it up the shoot it with lens cover on.

It's hot cos it get brighter the longer the exposure.

For dead pixels, these will be bright specks even at 1/800 sec!!!

TsQ, to confirm whether those are dead pixels, take a shot at a higher shutter speed like 1/30 or faster, and see if the green/red pixels are still there. If they are, then high chance they are dead pixels. If they aren't, then congrats, they are just the very normal hot pixels.

yah.. like jayan said.. it should be hot.. Phew.. hehe..

maybe i should update the firmware? at 4"=14 HP, 3.2"=9HP

all in ISO100, F2.8, TIFF...

how long does it take to upgrade firmware? no need appointment rite?

Originally posted by TsQ
yah.. like jayan said.. it should be hot.. Phew.. hehe..

maybe i should update the firmware? at 4"=14 HP, 3.2"=9HP

all in ISO100, F2.8, TIFF...

how long does it take to upgrade firmware? no need appointment rite?

No need appt..just bring down to Oly sg and tell them u got hot pixels prob....leave the DC there for 1 day and pick it up the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.