21 Jan 06 Macros

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchuanye

Staff member
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
These were taken near my house today. First time I saw the Ant-Mimicking Jumping Spider, and some more below my house! At first I thought it was a spider with something in the mouth...but nope it was Ant-Mimicking Jumping Spider! Very hard to take this fella as it was always on the move, and only had a few moments where it stayed put. Likes to hide undeneath the leaf too!
Well, also took pics of the Heavy jumper again, a mantis and a white hopper!

Taken with FZ10+Nikon 6T+Sigma CU, Ext bounce flash, ISO 50, F8.0 and various speeds

#1: Ant-Mimicking Jumping Spider
Really looks like a duck...
53267875-M.jpg

#2:Ant-Mimicking Jumping Spider
Another View
53269239-M.jpg

#3: Heavy Jumper again
53269270-M.jpg

#4: Heavy Jumper: Waiting to pounce
53269193-M.jpg

#5: Male Banded Phintella
53269366-M.jpg

#6: Sad Mantis
Love the sad look on this fella....
53269406-M.jpg

#7:Mantis (another view)
53269477-M.jpg

#8: Climbing to the top
53269259-M.jpg

#9: White Hopper
53269481-M.jpg

great images man! you're the pride of the panasonic group ;)

Great shots siah....
heh suspect the praying mantis is baby one.. cos I have seen them hatch from egg before and they are black! instead of the usual green.. can't be sure of this though..

Thanks metallilan!

Kevin, I don't think these are babies. J have the impression that these could be a different type of mantis where they are that small. But I may be wrong.....any expert views out there?

Er...anymore critiques or comments? Frank and critical comments are most welcomed....

V much appreciated.:)

What's there to comment? They're all great shots! I especially like the sad mantis. This one is very different from the usual 'crazed murderer' look on most mantis

Once again, amazing macro shots from you. Really like the mantis shots, it looks quite funny.

Thanks gooseberry, chngpe01 for commenting!

eel said:
What's there to comment? They're all great shots! I especially like the sad mantis. This one is very different from the usual 'crazed murderer' look on most mantis

Thanks eel. These little mantis are quite common actually....very skittish. Personally hope to see the crazed murderer large mantis type....have yet to take one of that yet!

CY

very nice pics...care to share where u took them? many tX..;p

tchuanye said:
Kevin, I don't think these are babies. J have the impression that these could be a different type of mantis where they are that small. But I may be wrong.....any expert views out there?
Easy to tell if the mantis is adult or juvenile. If it has wings, then it is an adult. If it doesnt have wings then it is a juvenile. In general, all adult species of Mantidae are winged. ;) Color is not a good criterion to distinguish between adult or juv. unless you are vry familiar with that particular species. However, in the pics, the body cannot be seen clearly so it is difficult to say based on the pics alone.

ortega said:
#5 and #6 for the funky pose
it gives your subjects some character

Thanks Ortega!

GENO said:
very nice pics...care to share where u took them? many tX..;p

Thanks GENO.
#3, 4, 6,7,9, taken at Park at Henry Park (opposite Henry Park Primary school)
Rest taken at Ghim Moh Green (at the side between Blks 3 and 2)

Both are small patches of bushes.

mphil said:
Easy to tell if the mantis is adult or juvenile. If it has wings, then it is an adult. If it doesnt have wings then it is a juvenile. In general, all adult species of Mantidae are winged. ;) Color is not a good criterion to distinguish between adult or juv. unless you are vry familiar with that particular species. However, in the pics, the body cannot be seen clearly so it is difficult to say based on the pics alone.

Thanks mphil! Learn something from you today. Will take note the next time.

Nice shots CY!

#6,7 post is cute like the mantis is looking at you begging for food or waiting for execution.

Not sure about the shadow & rest of body which seems blur, guess it is tough to take pic with this little fellow following your len wherever you aim ;)

Howdy said:
Nice shots CY!

#6,7 post is cute like the mantis is looking at you begging for food or waiting for execution.

Not sure about the shadow & rest of body which seems blur, guess it is tough to take pic with this little fellow following your len wherever you aim ;)

Thanks Howdy.

Thanks for pointing out the shadow...have to watch out for my bouce flash angle next time.

As to the rest of body blur, it because of the DOF issue. My set up is already max at F8, and cos the body is long, the remaining body will appear OOF as its out of the DOF.
My previous mantis shot also "isolated" the head cos of that.....
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=120695

Woah, lots of Spiders species there.
#1,2 distracted by the shadows and too less DOF. Although eyes are in focus bur whole image is very soft.
#3 Jumper distracted by a dark patch on the top left b/g and a lot of hair on the head are OOF.
#4 too center and spider is partly covered which makes it not the ideal angle. Lighting not so ggod to bring out the details.
#5 Flash on the fangs too harsh but b/g a bit dark.
#6, 7 too much shadows which is no good. Although focus on the eyes are good, bur it's very small in the frame and more are OOF. The multi patterned b/g not nice.

Pixelated said:
Woah, lots of Spiders species there.
#1,2 distracted by the shadows and too less DOF. Although eyes are in focus bur whole image is very soft.
#3 Jumper distracted by a dark patch on the top left b/g and a lot of hair on the head are OOF.
#4 too center and spider is partly covered which makes it not the ideal angle. Lighting not so ggod to bring out the details.
#5 Flash on the fangs too harsh but b/g a bit dark.
#6, 7 too much shadows which is no good. Although focus on the eyes are good, bur it's very small in the frame and more are OOF. The multi patterned b/g not nice.

Thanks for taking the time to comment in detail the pics! Appreciate that!:D

Do agree with the shallow DOF for some of the shots....but bo pian liow.....limited by equipment....:)

CY

Status
Not open for further replies.