$20k for photoshoot? Rip off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisiang

Oct 3, 2004
Ho Chi Minh City
www.swog.sg
Hi guys!

My company needs to take some photos for advert, branding campaign and in-house use. Our branding consultant quoted us $20,000 for 11 photos, 4 studio shots and 7 outdoors. This is excluding makeups, hairdo, and talent fees.

Is this a rip off? What kind of rates are more realistic?

Thanks for your advice.

So it is possible for $20k for 11 photos assuming the photo studio has got a good portfolio and reputation? :embrass:

You said avdertising usage for the pictures? That alone might cause the price to jump because of the commercial usage license...

$20k for 11 picture, with 7 of them outdoor is cheap already. alternatively you can bypass your branding consultant and go to the photographer you know direct. design house, agency will mark up the price too, they have to eat too.

what type of company you working for.
what kind of products/services your company selling.
what kind of image your company want to project

what type of clients your branding consultant serve.
what type of works can they deliver.

come to what type of bill..

so, who are we to say this is a rip off?

$20k for 11 picture, with 7 of them outdoor is cheap already. alternatively you can bypass your branding consultant and go to the photographer you know direct. design house, agency will mark up the price too, they have to eat too.

Cool! Didn't know! :embrass:

Should have join the photography trade instead of marketing!! Makes much more $$$ :think:

20 K for so many photos is damn cheap already.

It depends on your company as well and what kind of shots.

It also depends on which place u get ur shots done. For more reputable photo houses, you have to pay alot more.

20 k is cheap. I work at a production hse and these rates are way cheap already.

Welcome to the world of advertising

what type of company you working for.
what kind of products/services your company selling.
what kind of image your company want to project

what type of clients your branding consultant serve.
what type of works can they deliver.

come to what type of bill..

so, who are we to say this is a rip off?

hmm... We are not a big company that is for sure. $20k for 1 day shoot and then a few days to touchup and process - Frankly, I think it is a rip off.

Let's assume $10,000 for equipment rental and studio rental for 10 hours of shoot and the other $10,000 for 10 hours of shoot and 40 hrs of photo processing work. That works out to be $1000/hr for studio and equipment rental and $200/hr for digital processing! We are not talking about Hollywood production here.

No offense to those who charge this price but $20k = my company's entire staffs' (9 staff) salary for 1 month loh.

well if your company is not comfortable with such a budget then why don't you all ask for quotes from a few other production houses?

We have all heard of even higher prices and no one goes out and says he/she/or coy is a a ripoff. Its just like a newbie freelancer cover something for $500 and another pro cover the same thing for $5000, of course what you going to get, or not get from both are different.

Well if you are not happy with thier quotation then why not find another photographer to do the same job? What you are paying for is not just manpower and expertise but licence to reproduce and use the images for adverts/branding as I said commercial usage licenses (esp if its exclusive) can be very expensive.

for your reference over at corbis, to buy a stock image for the following usage:

Category: Advertising
Use Type: Print Ad - Advertorial

Duration: Up to 1 month
Industry: Advertising
Print Run: Up to 5,000
Image Size: Up to Full Page
Geography: Singapore

it already cost $585 SGD. You are asking the production house to do 22 shoots whose license might allow you to re-use the image in far better terms than i have just listed above. So you should consider it discounted already.

I have no handle on rates, but you can get 3 quotes to compare. Else advertise on CS for freelancer lor.

hmm... We are not a big company that is for sure. $20k for 1 day shoot and then a few days to touchup and process - Frankly, I think it is a rip off.

Let's assume $10,000 for equipment rental and studio rental for 10 hours of shoot and the other $10,000 for 10 hours of shoot and 40 hrs of photo processing work. That works out to be $1000/hr for studio and equipment rental and $200/hr for digital processing! We are not talking about Hollywood production here.

No offense to those who charge this price but $20k = my company's entire staffs' (9 staff) salary for 1 month loh.
as what as I said earlier, I have no idea of what your company is, and what are the things intend to buy, can't say it is a rip off.
btw, this is not just about finding a photographer to shoot for your company and it service/products. it is about a branding/packaging for your company image, photographer don't deal with these, you may finding a photographer to shoot the photos at a cheaper cost, but who will and how to put everything together later?

why don't get another branding consultant/agency to give your company a proposer?

must see the whole pic, else who knows? U know the end products, but we dun, how to tell u???

Ok guys, thanks for the advice. You all have been very helpful, always.

Although I still feel it is expensive but after reading all those who responded, I no longer think it is a rip off price. It's just that it's beyond our budget that's all. :embrass:

One last request... :p

can give a rough quote or just a ballpark figure for the below kind of photos if I were to engage an average studio to do the work? We will get talent and makeup artist.

http://www.123rf.com/photo_551502.html

http://www.123rf.com/photo_375754.html

branding firms will always over quote...
i worked with a few and they are a pure ripoff at times.

the pics u wanted... imp can be done quite easily.
think a couple of thousands.

Ok guys, thanks for the advice. You all have been very helpful, always.

Although I still feel it is expensive but after reading all those who responded, I no longer think it is a rip off price. It's just that it's beyond our budget that's all. :embrass:

One last request... :p

can give a rough quote or just a ballpark figure for the below kind of photos if I were to engage an average studio to do the work? We will get talent and makeup artist.

http://www.123rf.com/photo_551502.html

http://www.123rf.com/photo_375754.html

considering u got the talent and makeup artist...

u used to shoot, right? y not u do the shoot urself?

let's say u're letting the professionals handle the shoot with this 2 image in mind...

1). time and duration
2). studio and location
3). professional expertise
4). copyright issues (whether the photographer sell them to u)
5). date for submission of finalised works.

i don't think there's any issue with conceptualising since its more of a lifestyle kinda shot and u already had in mind wat it's goin to be like. maybe jus planning and execution.

depending on who is doing the shoot, the price varies from a few hundred to maybe the famous S$25k/photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.