$20k for photoshoot? Rip off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the photography part is not very costly, but the loading, rights will be a huge part of the bill.

Loading and rights are new to me.

Say if I get my own talents, and I did the shoot myself. Then can I say I have the rights to the images or I need to pay the talents according to the usage of the photos?

So if I engage a professional to do the shoot and get my own talent, then the cost will vary accordingly? Like if for inhouse purpose will be cheap, for local magazine advert will be even more? Or they cost the same regardless of what media it will appear?

:dunno:

btw just think of it this way
you can get the job done cheaper and you get a mediocre picture which reflects poorly on your company
or you can pay the right person to do the job even if it costs more, but then the pictures are well done and look great for your company which in turn will get more business because people think your company is bloodyhighclass

*points to myself*

My company is in the process of revamping our website and we purchased some stock photos from the web, we paid some royal free image for less than $100 each and some rights manage image for $1000+ each for 3 years usage :dunno: The total cost more than 5 figure.....So it depends on how you perceive the investment and whether it justify the ROI :dunno:

considering u got the talent and makeup artist...

u used to shoot, right? y not u do the shoot urself?

Yo cheesecake! I sold off all my equipment sometimes ago. :(

But maybe I can convince my boss to invest in new equipment so we can shoot inhouse! $20k can get some decent pieces of equipment liao :lovegrin:

some companies work around their budgets so that they can cover costs and discounts they give you in other areas by charging more in others, and of course there is a mark up because they are handling the coordination with photographer, DI, etc... If you handle these yourself, definitely it is likely you will get a cheaper price, but do you have the time and expertise and people to handle it?... if you do, go for it... if not, go with the branding consultant... money can be earnt back, time and opportunities cannot be... :)

also, ask to look at the photogs portfolio... if you don't think their work is good then ask them to change a photog... if you a paying the bills, you should have a say in who's gonna do the shoot...

loadings of course depends on media type... more widely it is to be seen, higher price... longer duration, higher price... if you shoot it yourself, you don't have to care about photography loadings but talent loadings depends on your agreement with talents... no equipment then rent some :)

by the way, 40 hr of DI (don't know if that's what you mean by photo processing or only part of it with RAW conversion a part as well) at a reasonable rate of $50/hr for quality results works up to $2000... ;p

But maybe I can convince my boss to invest in new equipment so we can shoot inhouse! $20k can get some decent pieces of equipment liao :lovegrin:

haha

so much hassle... jus pay the 1 off price la.:thumbsup:

but its does not mean you can do the type of job offered by those company. 20k is nothing if consider this marketing thing will earn you back few hundred thousand.

Say if I get my own talents, and I did the shoot myself. Then can I say I have the rights to the images or I need to pay the talents according to the usage of the photos?
you own the copyrights (you decide how much you want to sell it), as for talents, they may ask what shoots it is and what are the usage, than quote you accordingly for the talent fee plus loading (in any).

So if I engage a professional to do the shoot and get my own talent, then the cost will vary accordingly? Like if for inhouse purpose will be cheap, for local magazine advert will be even more? Or they cost the same regardless of what media it will appear?

the loading is depends on local, regional or international, also depends on what media it will appear.

There are much more cost involved other than the equipements,much more.

i think base on the issues and questions u ask, its not abt 20k, its abt ur coy not prepare at all.

20k i believe is just way out ur coy budget. discuss w ur boss again, tell him what to expect, what is the terms, and what is loading fee etc.

An average shoot quotation I get when I was in the advertising industry is S$5k-$8k depending on concept I proposed and usage. So multiply by 11, its at least S$55-$88k.

Which ever studio who quote $20k only, has under quoted alot.

Eh... I think your company went to advertising agency cos it's about branding, not just photography.

They charging you not only for photography, styling and DI, but also creative direction.
When they present ideas to your boss, they will tell him/her why they go in this direction.

They are probably already doing your company's other advertisements on newspaper and magazines or direct mailers and other promotional artwork. If not, they will also propose to get your boss to spend more for a more effective 'branding' strategy.

If you go direct to a production house/photography studio, then can be even cheaper.

tell the branding consultant what if you use your own photographer, but you still use their brand consulting service? ask for a requote that way.

if it's not much cheaper..a few conclusions can be drawn..

1) they use cheapo photographer and swallow the profits
2) they really want to makan your $20k by hook or by crook

anyway, i think 20k is really subjective. it depends on what you want and what they can give etc. good marketing and advertising and rebranding is never cheap.

remember the Marina Bay renaming exercise? =P

back to the topic..if the savings is a lot, look for your own photographer. (make sure his/her standard is consistent with the branding)

i can show u my portfolio if you can pm me hehehehe :D

$20K is dirt cheap if it includes concept, creative, photography and talents.
I used to work in ad agency, this is by no means expensive or rip off.

you shoot, you own the copyright. just make sure you state that clearly in your contract with your talents.

I wonder other than the photoshoot. How much more is your company paying for the advert media?:think:

There's always the option to do such shoots in-house. If you feel that 20K is significant cost saving, then try in-house first loh. That is, if your company can afford a "second" chance in re-managing perceived image should first impression goes wrong.

Just back from meeting with our brand consultant. Was told the $20k is for shooting only. Rights are only for in-house use. :sweat: We still need to pay for everything else, talent fee, media fee, loading etc.

End of the day my boss fired the consultant. :bsmilie: My boss did his own research and told them some J studio? charge only a fraction with full rights :rolleyes: I kena F* also :( my friend recommended the branding consultant... :sticktong

Just back from meeting with our brand consultant. Was told the $20k is for shooting only. Rights are only for in-house use. :sweat: We still need to pay for everything else, talent fee, media fee, loading etc.

End of the day my boss fired the consultant. :bsmilie: My boss did his own research and told them some J studio? charge only a fraction with full rights :rolleyes: I kena F* also :( my friend recommended the branding consultant... :sticktong

Well then let's just hope your boss made the right choice. And that the end result is just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.