20D or 350D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedetto13

Nov 23, 2007
Bukit Batok
www.flickr.com
i'm was aiming to get a 350D for my girlfriend, but i came by 20D and read the specs, it seems better than 350D tho it's older? so now i'm confused on which one to get, hm the price difference aint that big. soo..what you guys think? which one should i get for her? she just wants to have one, so that she can tag along with me for streetshooting. and i'm dying to get her one too.

Anyone, please advice/recommend/suggest! thank you in advance!

hey... you have posed a question that I had 4 yrs ago and questioned myself again few months ago.
it really depends on what you really want to do and how far your gf will go with this interest. Do bear in mind that assuming all of the specs between 350D & 20D, 3 things will certainly be different. i) handling feel, ii) AF system, iii) button layout interface
Companies like Canon does not make 2 cameras with same specs and charge different price. Obviously there's a difference and it is what I mentioned above. If your gf plans to just make this a fun and adventurous but no more than getting a little more serious, 350D is really a choice. However, if she does show interest and may float it into doing a little more serious-to-amateur-pro, I will highly recommend a 20D. But then, due to the shutter actuation cycles for both of these cameras to be around 50,000 cycles, I would suggest that you get a 30D instead of 20D, which the former has 100,000 cycles.
I kind of regretted getting 350D because it limits my creativity and ability when I tried to push beyond what the camera can do for me. But now the 350D is my good 2nd camera for my photo projects... still the regret is minimal because 350D is a good camera. It all goes back to whether to pay a little more or save a little more.
Good luck!

Most probably the 350D or the latest 450D/1000D for ladies as most of them won't like the weight issue of heavier cameras.

hey... you have posed a question that I had 4 yrs ago and questioned myself again few months ago.
it really depends on what you really want to do and how far your gf will go with this interest. Do bear in mind that assuming all of the specs between 350D & 20D, 3 things will certainly be different. i) handling feel, ii) AF system, iii) button layout interface
Companies like Canon does not make 2 cameras with same specs and charge different price. Obviously there's a difference and it is what I mentioned above. If your gf plans to just make this a fun and adventurous but no more than getting a little more serious, 350D is really a choice. However, if she does show interest and may float it into doing a little more serious-to-amateur-pro, I will highly recommend a 20D. But then, due to the shutter actuation cycles for both of these cameras to be around 50,000 cycles, I would suggest that you get a 30D instead of 20D, which the former has 100,000 cycles.
I kind of regretted getting 350D because it limits my creativity and ability when I tried to push beyond what the camera can do for me. But now the 350D is my good 2nd camera for my photo projects... still the regret is minimal because 350D is a good camera. It all goes back to whether to pay a little more or save a little more.
Good luck!

thank you so much for your precious sharing! haha i guess i let her have a look and let her choose. she doesnt really know much abt specs and all also. hahaha hm do you think 20D could have provided you with more space for creativity? i thought of 30D but it's alittle higher than my budget so, i'm left with only 20D and 350D.

Most probably the 350D or the latest 450D/1000D for ladies as most of them won't like the weight issue of heavier cameras.

haha 450D way off my budget, if i were to get it, i would pass her my 400D! haha;p yea thought of 1000D too, but to me, feels alittle too plastic. if you tried it before, it feels funny. hahaha.

thank you so much for your precious sharing! haha i guess i let her have a look and let her choose. she doesnt really know much abt specs and all also. hahaha hm do you think 20D could have provided you with more space for creativity? i thought of 30D but it's alittle higher than my budget so, i'm left with only 20D and 350D.

haha 450D way off my budget, if i were to get it, i would pass her my 400D! haha;p yea thought of 1000D too, but to me, feels alittle too plastic. if you tried it before, it feels funny. hahaha.

Well, if budget is the constraint, 20D is still good. As a matter of fact, generally 30D & 20D are similar camera with some software tweaked for improvement & shutter actuation for the 30D. Personally, when you need to get your subject in focus fast and accurate, you'll need a better AF system which 20D superior over 30D. 350D is good but not accurate & fast enough. But of course it must goes with a pretty decent lens that has USM.

I can tell you this is because I have done many wedding photo projects with the 350D and in some situations, esp "the moment" you want to catch, the 350D doesn't give you the full assurance that you'll get it focus @ the right point. I am using it with a 70-200 f2.8 & 28-135mm lenses. So I reckon is no longer lens or skill issue. Its the AF system on the camera that frustrates me after a number of misses.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.