20D foucs problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
Hi all,
Bought a 20D a week ago. Figured I will get a couple of choice lens shortly.
I have taken quite a few photo's in the time I have had off simply to get the feel of it. I must say I like much about the features and it's use, BUT !
I have not had ONE decent result in terms of sharpness. Ok, only the kit lens, but my Fuji F810 walks all over it in sharpness. I have tried both auto and manual focus; still not sharp. Today the Canon rep came by and I said,"here, lets go outside and both take shots of a couple of things. Result...it is not me.
Both series of photos were not sharp. I even tried a same lens from a 300D we have.... same result !
Any feed back :dunno:

what aperture were you using on the kit lens?

also, pics from DSLRs are generally less sharpened (by design) which helped reduce artefacts during post-processing.

mpenza said:
what aperture were you using on the kit lens?

also, pics from DSLRs are generally less sharpened (by design) which helped reduce artefacts during post-processing.

Hi mpenza. I would say that during my last day off, I used a few different settings in different times.
Looking for DOF effects with different shots. I was not impressed.
Though a good DSLR and a Fuji 810 are quite different cameras and the results would be quite different, there is quite a difference between sharp and not sharp. The 20D results are not even close to sharp.
The photo's that the rep and I took of some bikes outside the shop were good colour/contrast wise, but other than that, they could have been taken on a $399 Kodak.... Sorry for the length of this reply....
To take a 20D out of the box; sit it on auto, take a photo. You shouldn't expect to be blown away, but it should be something that inspires you enough to think,"ok, lets get too it", ... not,"oh, thats a shame".

Hmmm... maybe you can post the 20D pics here for analysis.... afaik, the 20D works pretty well with the kit lens.... maybe you have a dud? :)

Won't be able to help much if we have not much info to work on.....

it's possible that the lens is back focussing or the camera needs to be calibrated. I won't be surprised as some L lenses (in particular the 70-200F4L) need focus calibration too. so far, I find the 20D pretty ok.

here's an unprocessed 100% crop of an image taken handheld with a telezoom wide-open at F4.
cIMG_2908.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Please excuse my ignorance on this, but, can you expalin the bit " the camera may need to be calibrated".
Do I take it you mean the body ??. as I have tried a different lens with same result.
If so, (the body) what do they calibrate.
If the camera (body, not lens) may need to be calibrated; I would have thought that this should have been done during manufacture. :dunno:
Thanks again.

Hi Pablo,

The kit lens should be quite sharp out of camera depending on how you setup the shot. Can you post an image with full EXIF so that we can try to help you out. Also indicate whether you are shooting with parameter 1 or 2 (if its JPEG for example).

Pablo said:
Thanks for the reply. Please excuse my ignorance on this, but, can you expalin the bit " the camera may need to be calibrated".
Do I take it you mean the body ??. as I have tried a different lens with same result.
If the camera (body, not lens) may need to be calibrated; I would have thought that this should have been done during manufacture. :dunno:
Thanks again.

yup, I meant the body. maybe the AF sensor inside? :dunno:

try to post some samples for us to take a look.

mpenza said:
yup, I meant the body. maybe the AF sensor inside? :dunno:

try to post some samples for us to take a look.

Hello, sorry for the (e) in mpenza before :confused:
I will post a shot tomorrow along with Exif. I downloaded to my computer at work and cleared the card.
Thanks guys for your interest. :)

Pablo said:
Thanks again.

Maybe your mirror position is out. Better check it with Canon Singapore.

XXX Boy said:
Maybe your mirror position is out. Better check it with Canon Singapore.

True what you say. I am shure there is something amis. It is not my lack of skill as I have put forward (Canon rep tried with same reply).

It is a long swim from here to Singapore :dunno: so I might go to Brisbane instead .... Just joking. :bsmilie:
I am fortunate enough to to have it replaced if needs be. Thanks for your reply.

Pablo, got bad news for you, Brisbane Canon won't touch your 20D, it'll have to be sent away to Sydney for any sort of work to be done. If you're going to do it, you'll be without your camera for a little longer than you might expect. The alternative might be to switch for another 20D set and send that one back to the distributor.

Hi guys. Ok, it IS me. I feel embarrased. Till now I have been viewing the photos taken via windows viewer and PS. When I re looked at them thru Canons Digital Viewer Pro, it shows quite a different story sharpness/focus wise.
Reguardless of any processing the Canon prog does itself, the quality I was not seeing via other methods had to be there to start with.
I appologise for starting what seems a pointless thread :cry:
As mentioned by others in many other discussions, "understand what you are working with before complaining about it"
Once again, appologies to you all.

looking at the shot posted, i must say i stand by what i say: the 18-55mm kit lens cannot make it. :thumbsd: just look at the sharpness & detail, not there. colour & contrast also not good. purple fringing very bad.

go get a 17-40L & u know what i mean. pain one time & thats it, then there will be no turning back. have u peep into other forums where others posted their 20D shot with top lenses? be warn, u will want more... :devil:

mpenza said:
yup, I do find that windows viewer do seem a bit soft compared to other programs.

The trick to see sharpness in window viewer is to see in 'actual size' first, then switch to 'best fit' and the actual sharpness will be shown.

mpenza said:
it works ;p but troublesome lah.

The reason I use window viewer as my laptop regen faster when using with Canon viewer... :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.