2015 Beach Road Army Market close shop

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
The Army Market, the go-to place for army supplies, is on the verge of becoming a relic. The lease for shopkeepers operating at the iconic market along Beach Road in Singapore will expire end of 2015.

Through The Lens features three female shopkeepers who have been hawking their wares there for decades, and are experts on local military apparel and paraphernalia in their own right.

Video

http://www.straitstimes.com/through-the-lens/story/army-aunty

Last time they even sold firing pin and was caught doing that. Have been visiting there for 20 over years .... Will certainly miss the place :(

Should organize photo shooting since more n more places are gone. So sad, next time, our memories only by photos, not the real places.

thats a shame.... love ALOT of the FOOD there !!

beep beep !!! this calls for a photo outing to shoot that area !!!

Sad that another specialty retail trade is going to be gone.

Hope the shops owner could restart business at an alternate place... but seeing that their business has dropped greatly... don't think they'll survive for long... sad...

Remembered once when a group of us was chit chatting with one of the aunties.

Ended with a demonstration of how we use SAF issued condoms out in the field, from being a medical aid, protective covering, water carrier etc. etc. :bsmilie:

Also can pack Composite 4 and detonator (blasting cap) inside as an IED.

Last edited:
haiz....aunties there always ask me wanna buy underwears anot....although im out of army liao..gonna miss those requests...

Sad that another specialty retail trade is going to be gone.

only occasionally have need of camping supplies nowadays, but sure will miss the food..
the ah balling elsewhere just doesnt seem to match up..

The food Center just completed renovation in NOV 2012 and 3 yrs later tear it down, what a waste of money :(

The Army Market, the go-to place for army supplies, is on the verge of becoming a relic. The lease for shopkeepers operating at the iconic market along Beach Road in Singapore will expire end of 2015.

Through The Lens features three female shopkeepers who have been hawking their wares there for decades, and are experts on local military apparel and paraphernalia in their own right.

Video

http://www.straitstimes.com/through-the-lens/story/army-aunty

omg where will you buy your bazookas then, xtemujin?

i will miss their healthier char kway teow. Reduces the guilt of eating char kway teow if there are more veggies.

There goes the best satay gado-gado..had that for lunch 3-days straight when i attended 1st aid course at St.John HQ..

There goes my favorite yong tau hu and char kway teow :(

Sounds like we should do a food photography outing there next Saturday

Watch out for the thread Monday

Don't worry yet, there is still 2 more years to enjoy all the food and say bye bye to the Uncles and Aunties upstairs.

they just renovated the place not long ago

That market has great foods! I was lucky to be working in Keypoint building previously - thus eating there often.

Will miss the char kway teow, beef hor fun, pork ribs noodle, and fish soup..

And combine that with the Thai foods @ Golden Mile & Malay food @ Arab Street... :)