akuma

Oct 28, 2012
Singapore
Thaipusam Festival

Date: 17 Jan 2014 (Friday)

More information.
http://www.heb.gov.sg/news/200-thaipusam-festival-is-on-friday-17-january-2014
http://www.heb.gov.sg/images/stories/pdf/eguide.pdf

Tips and comments copied from last year's post by xtemujin. Credit to him. :)
If I am not wrong, the event starts on morning of 17 Jan 2014 (Friday). This means most of us have to take leave. :(
You can start taking photo on night of 16 Jan. That's when the devotees start to pierce their bodies.
You can enter the temples and put your footwear into a plastic bag then into your camera bag to prevent the headache of finding your footwear when placed outside the temple.
Some others have advised me not to use flash as flash may wake up the devotees who are in a trance. There was an article of someone who did that and was whacked in Batu Caves. Google to find the article.
Some seniors last year recommended that we use small LED light instead. Little India will start to sell those bright orange T-shirts, so you can also buy and wear to be in the right Thaipusam mood. :)
Happy Photographing and Please respect other religions.
FINAL.jpg

EDIT: I'M SORRY! I made a mistake in the timing of my post. The procession should start at 0005hrs on 17th Jan 2014. NOT 1205 as I posted earlier. The post has been updated to reflect the changes.

Thanks akuma!

Yes, you're right. The first wave procession of devotees carrying milk pots (Paalkudam) and smaller kavadis - supported on their shoulders (Paalkavadis) would depart from Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple (Serangoon Road) to Sri Thandayuthapani Temple (Tank Road)at 0005 hrs 17th January 2014.

The chariots and the other spiked kavadis would be departing from 4am onwards. The route typically takes one to one and a half hours (dependent on the human traffic conditions)for the smaller kavadis. The bigger kavadis typically take a longer time to complete the route. The procesion of kavadis continue till 4-5pm in the afternoon.

The road closures on One Motoring website would be a great indicator of the actual procession route. Though the information is yet to be published.

Also worth noting is the Silver Chariot Procession the day before on Thursday (16th January 2014) which departs Sri Thandayuthapani Temple (Tank Road) at 0500 hrs and makes two stops at Sri Mariamman Temple at South Bridge Road at 0630 hrs and Sri Layan Sithi Vinayagar Temple at Keong Saik Road at 0730 hrs.

The Silver Chariot progress from point to point and spends about 15 - 25 minutes going through the various prayer rituals before setting off to the next point. Thought I mention this in case someone is interested in checking out the preparations in the run up to the actual Thaipusam Festival.

Sri Srinivasa Perumal would be packed with devotees from 8PM onwards as they conduct their prayer sessions before departing the temple. So that might be something checking out, though please be mindful of the people around you. Some devotees are unable to take leave from work and need to report to work the next day, so they would be more in a rush to move things along and jostle a bit when they get to depart from the temple.

The same silver chariot procession would be making its way to the financial district on Thursday evening (16th January 2014) at 1900hrs. Further details can be found in the brochure published by HEB available at:

http://www.heb.gov.sg/images/stories/pdf/SSPTTHAI2013.pdf

EDIT: I'M SORRY! I made a mistake in the timing of my post. The procession should start at 0005hrs on 17th Jan 2014. NOT 1205 as I posted earlier. The post has been updated to reflect the changes.

Last edited:
Hmmmm try to go

Just to check, anyone can go into the temple? Is there any rules of what to wear or need to pay any entry fees?

Just to check, anyone can go into the temple? Is there any rules of what to wear or need to pay any entry fees?

Hi,
Based on last yr...it was free to go in..anyone can go in...i wear bermuda + orange t-shirt..if u want to get into the mood..u can buy those Thaipusam Tshirt in Little India to wear. but any colour also can i guess.

When is the good time for the photography? 16th night or 17th morning? I can join on 17th early morning..

When is the good time for the photography? 16th night or 17th morning? I can join on 17th early morning..
Both are equally good as different event happening. On 16 night u can take shots of the poking which can be very mysterious n powerful sight.

I remember going once a couple of years ago and it was madness! Many people around, but an interesting shoot day overall.

Anybody going down to shoot Friday morning who owns a Samsung camera as well? There's a event going on for Samsung camera users here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1433067390261317/

Think possibly non-Samsung users also can go. I'll be there!

I remember going once a couple of years ago and it was madness! Many people around, but an interesting shoot day overall.

Anybody going down to shoot Friday morning who owns a Samsung camera as well? There's a event going on for Samsung camera users here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1433067390261317/

Think possibly non-Samsung users also can go. I'll be there!

Yes. The atmosphere is powerful..loud drums..loud cheering...u need to be inside to feel it...
This year may have tighter security due to recent riot...Hope they don't control until no atmosphere. I can feel the presence of a lot of police patrol already at Little India. Very hard to go in big group. Easier if u go in group of 2-3..can mingle with the devotees as well.

Anyone wanna form a group of 2 or 3 to go together?