2013 January Thaipusam Festival Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the heads-up
Guess gonna cancel my TF Run and go for this shot-out

Last edited:
Thanks too for the heads-up xtemujin! I have been looking forward to shoot this event for god-knows how long.

However, i would like to double check the timings and procedures of this festival with fellow CSers here as it has been 2 years since i last shot it at the STT temple.

Here it goes:

1. Does the actual event start on the Saturday (26th) or on Sunday (27th)? Because if i remember correctly 2 years ago, there was a slight confusion because of A.M / P.M timings.

2. If i understand correctly (please correct me if i'm wrong), there are 2 kavadi sessions (one in the afternoon, and one at night)? If it's true, can anyone here help me with the timing and locations of these sessions?

3. Entry to the Hindu temples to witness and photograph the event is still unrestricted and free entry am i right?

That should be it for me. Fellow CSers, please feel free to chip in so that we are all informed about this festival. :D

Thank you all very much in advance for helping me out with my questions!

Last edited:
The walk will start at 260113 (Sat) 2345H.

The devotees can choose morning or night walking.

Do note that since it is a Sunday, there is a possibility that there will be more people with the addition of foreign workers congregating at Little India.

You can enter the temples and put your footwear into a plastic bag then into your camera bag to prevent the headache of finding your footwear when placed outside the temple.

PhotoMalaysia is also doing a group trip event for 2013 Thaipusam, Batu Caves, Malaysia. Definitely more intense than Singapore.

PMPE - Colours of Thaipusam - 25th to 28th January 2013

xtemujin said:
The walk will start at 260113 (Sat) 2345H.

The devotees can choose morning or night walking.

Do note that since it is a Sunday, there is a possibility that there will be more people with the addition of foreign workers congregating at Little India.

You can enter the temples and put your footwear into a plastic bag then into your camera bag to prevent the headache of finding your footwear when placed outside the temple.

PhotoMalaysia is also doing a group trip event for 2013 Thaipusam, Batu Caves, Malaysia. Definitely more intense than Singapore.

PMPE - Colours of Thaipusam - 25th to 28th January 2013

Thanks for the information xtemujin! Appreciate the heads up. So to summarise, can I safely say that the piercing and the putting on of the kavadi will happen on Saturday (260113) in the afternoon and another session at night before they commence the walk to the next temple at night at 2345hrs?

The piercing for the kavadi will start on the night of 260113 (Sat) as the first walk for the spike kavadi is from 270113 (Sun) 0200 - 1400H.

http://www.heb.gov.sg/images/stories/pdf/thai2013.pdf

If you've the chance I would suggest going to Malaysia as the event here is sanitised thanks to the SPF requirements.

Many Singaporean devotee carriers now make a trip to Batu Caves as it is much more cheaper and no restrictions.

HTH.

Thanks for the information xtemujin! Appreciate the heads up. So to summarise, can I safely say that the piercing and the putting on of the kavadi will happen on Saturday (260113) in the afternoon and another session at night before they commence the walk to the next temple at night at 2345hrs?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the information xtemujin! Will keep the timing in mind! Hope to see some of you guys there!

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I was there during the 2011 Thaipusam. It was one of my best experience as a photographer. I walked with the devotees from 11pm till morning. Even walked with them again in their afternoon procession.

Thaipusam is not to be missed. Experienced it last year and it is a wonderful experience.

For people shooting in Thaipusam, please avoid using flash. flashes affect the devotees in trance badly.

Does anyone know where I can find a map of the procession route? Would like to scout shooting locations in advance.

i'm planning to visit 1st time, any more detail ? like can we enter into the temple or?

26th night they gg to start prepare?

Went there last year and the pics and experience was a blast!!!...
looking forward this bloody Sunday :)

Hi All,

Is anyone can advise which is the best time to shoot Thaipusam Festival? Is any group is shooting this event?
Which range len does we need to use.

Thank you

Im a Hindu n i feel very sad when peacocks feathers are being used for the celebrations or prayers. The peacocks feathers commercial farming is very CRUEL. they will pluck the whole feathers when it is alive and then slaughter it. Then the meat are given to villagers and excess thrown away. So they are killed for the feathers and not meat. Imagine someone pluck the whole hairs from your head, how painful can it be. Yet many Hindus are ignorant about these. It is an irony that Thaipusam is prayed for Lord Muruga, and yet HIS closest companion is a Peacock. You indirectly slaughtered his closest companion, then ask HIM for his blessing. I hope peoples are AWARE of these and STOP THE CRUELTY to these beautiful birds.

Bro TajTaj,
it depends on how you see it. if the peacock meat are given to the poor villagers, then at least there are some beneficiary to this.
Sorry for being off topic. Perhaps I don't get the real picture. If the peacocks meat are thrown away like the sharks, then that would be too wasteful. Religion and offerings are sometime very ironic. agreed.
Regards,

Hi All,

Is anyone can advise which is the best time to shoot Thaipusam Festival? Is any group is shooting this event?
Which range len does we need to use.

Thank you

For me the best time is the piercing at the temple. I'll be there later tonight until the next day. Zoom lens and a prime is what I normally use. But this time I'm shooting video.

Bring extra batteries! :)

procession has just passed chinatown near banda st as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.