2013 Demolition of Queenstown Cinema, Singapore

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
Well, this is the last time we get to capture the old Queenstown cinema.

Some photos to share.

2013 Demolition of the Queenstown Cinema and Bowl, Singapore | xtemujin 360°Resources, Singapore

Curtains down for Queenstown cinema
By Shabnam Muzammil | 10 June 2013 Monday

The iconic Queenstown cinema and Bowling Centre (pictured) which closed in 1999, is set to be demolished to make way for a new residential or commercial development.

Built in 1977, the property located along Commonwealth Avenue was zoned for commercial use under the Urban Redevelopment Authority's (URA) 2008 Master Plan and is privately owned by Crescendas Group.

According to media reports, reactions on the issue have been mixed, with some calling for the demolition of the building.

“It's an eyesore. Once they tear it down it will free up the area and can possibly make way for developments that can serve the community today,” said Kenneth Ng, director of an education company.

However, Kwek Li Yong, founder of civic group My Community, said: “Queenstown, Singapore's first satellite estate, has been rather under the radar. It contains a lot of memories and we hope that more can be done to recognise that it has an important place in Singapore's history.”

Responding, Yu-Mei Balasingamchow, co-author of non-fiction book Singapore: A Biography, commented: “The community is looking for spaces they can relate to and for a landscape that isn't merely dotted with skyscrapers.”

Meanwhile, the company refused to comment on the issue.

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/prop...3/6/35953/curtains-down-for-queenstown-cinema

Last edited:
I passby there a few times (from mrt) and thinking of taking photos but never did. Fated. :(

I know this place and the former Tah Chung Emporium that was demolished long ago.

Something new and wonderful will spring out of the lot of land after demolishing the cinema.

Singapore's iconic housing will soon be built nearby at Dawson - designed by multiple award winning WOHA Architects and SCDA.

Last edited:
Once upon a time, this is a busy 'town centre' with 3 cinemas and a shopping centre. I wonder how on earth the URA allow these buildings to be converted for other use. Hope they will remember the need for planning of space for recreational and family leisure. Wonder do they still maintain the 10 years master plan.

xtemujin will demolish it using the RR/manpad .
one round away!

Once upon a time, this is a busy 'town centre' with 3 cinemas and a shopping centre. I wonder how on earth the URA allow these buildings to be converted for other use. Hope they will remember the need for planning of space for recreational and family leisure. Wonder do they still maintain the 10 years master plan.

do you still dress the same as when you were 2 years old?

i don't think so.

people change, and so do environments.

we can shout out loud that we want to keep these old monuments to the past, but if they don't redevelop the area... 20 years down the road, that generation is going to be shouting that they have no place to live, no home to buy.

if you keep clinging to the past, you can't move on. think about the future generations.

Last edited:

Once upon a time, it was prob the only town centre with cinemas in that area. Now, there's loads of cineplexes and other recreational spots near that area. Things change and we need to be adapt as Singapore is a small place. Heck, in the us, there's even towns that died off as they were not able to adapt fast enough and ppl started leaving. if we dun redevelop, there may well be worse implications down the road for Singapore.

it's funny really.
i used to take the KTM train from tanjung pagar to KL, and no one gave 2 hoots about the place. most locals didn't even know it exists.
suddenly when MY gave back the rail land and station to SG, and SG announce plans to close the place down we get these "conservationists" popping out cry father cry mother opposing the plan.

expect the same with this cinema.

it's funny really.
i used to take the KTM train from tanjung pagar to KL, and no one gave 2 hoots about the place. most locals didn't even know it exists.
suddenly when MY gave back the rail land and station to SG, and SG announce plans to close the place down we get these "conservationists" popping out cry father cry mother opposing the plan.

expect the same with this cinema.

Cause no one expecting it to happen. But a lot of old buildings are gone, welcome to the future. Even the national library also can be gone, what is the queentown cinema to them?

Of course I am for upgrading and move on with time. What I am trying to say is, if it is planned for a cinema or recreational center do try not to turn it into something else.

Just look at our beloved community center if yesteryear. Today we have community club but it is so private that you need to book and pay for commercial use. Fast food outlet seem to be what they are for.

Set aside public place for non commercial nor religious activities. This way, we may be able to find better bindings among us.

Those interested in the rejuvenation of the area can read the Master Plan by the URA and its regular reviews.

The recreational and leisure needs of nearby residents would be taken into account in future plans.

Time changes things. Cinemas are not as popular as before in the 1960s & 70s. Nowadays, many do not go to cinemas because they got online videos/movies streamed to their PCs or iPads or mobile phones. Or they watch Blu-Ray movies at home on their 50 inch LED TV with sensurround home theatre amplifier.

Time changes things. Cinemas are not as popular as before in the 1960s & 70s. Nowadays, many do not go to cinemas because they got online videos/movies streamed to their PCs or iPads or mobile phones. Or they watch Blu-Ray movies at home on their 50 inch LED TV with sensurround home theatre amplifier.

That and $12 price tag on weekends

That was where Golden Cinema showing only R21 blue films in its final hey days was?

Ah peaks always carrying along an umbrella into the theatre to conceal their acts of public masturbation.

Learnt to bowl here, when scores were flashed using OHP instead of computer screen!

Wow, spent so much of my childhood at this area.
Grandma's place used to be just across the road, spent many a weekend here and at Tai Chung and NTUC just enjoying the aircon.

I remember bowling used to cost less than $2 a game at the Queenstown bowl. We'd play when we could afford it.
Other times we'd just hang around and see others bowl.

Good times, a shame they have to tear down the building. I guess that's what we call progress.

This is not Golden Theatre which is in Beach Road at Golden Mile tower.

Brothers and sisters, anyone has any photos when the building was NEW, perhaps like 20 year ago? I really love this building and I really want to know more about it.

ricohflex, thank you for your quick reply. It's awesome! However, do you or anyone have photos that ever earlier, when the building was still open and operating? Thanks!