2012 COE premiums for small cars hit S$81,889

Shizuma said:
without a price based COE it is still possible to restrict car ownership, just use ballot COE .

of course the implications of this alternative system on car dealer market would be very interesting

Like that a business have to wait for the ballot results before they can start putting their cars on the road....and a got lucky house wife driving a cheap car to go market at 8am everyday....

Landed property is so expensive.....gov should also ballot the land so that we can have a shot of staying on land instead of air..

This is hugely misleading....if Msia is to do tit for tat then SG car should also pay rm50 per entry up north........also residents and working permit holders are not allowed to drive foreign plate......if the COE price is at $100 then we won't hear people complaint...but the $20/day levy is steep....and also the grid lock on the road and out of parking space because each family can own 4 cars now.

This is not about tit for tat. The point is that Singapore government is charging its OWN CITIZENS 80k for 10 year COE. Why should malaysians be given a discount?

If malaysia is charging their citizens 80k to own a car, then I think it is fair that they charge singaporeans similar amount of money to drive in their roads. Which government will squeeze its own citizens over foreigners, except maybe ours....

$20/day levy is steep???? Hello, you know how much singaporeans are paying now? Foreign cars, get WEEKENDS/PUBLIC holidays FREE + 10 FREE weekdays. If you convert the 80k COE to VEP, that would work out to be $33/day. (80k/240days/10) 240days is after deducting weekends and public holidays.

Last edited:
Young couple need a car to ferry their new born babies, to parents and in laws home....
Cannot afford car or child? They have to decide?
Don't give birth now.... Buy car first, if COE goes higher then cannot afford.
After buying the car, the young couple delay family planning.
Declining child birth rate, who to blame?

I can understand all the comments about expensive COE prices, but just wanted to point out that linking this to family planning is a far stretch. There are so many other considerations than affordability of a car that any young couple has to look at. This is just an oversimplification of that particular problem. Not to mention, in the past, car ownership was much lower and you still had a booming birth rate. :bsmilie:

This is not about tit for tat. The point is that Singapore government is charging its OWN CITIZENS 80k for 10 year COE. Why should malaysians be given a discount?

If malaysia is charging their citizens 80k to own a car, then I think it is fair that they charge singaporeans similar amount of money to drive in their roads. Which government will squeeze its own citizens over foreigners, except maybe ours....

$20/day levy is steep???? Hello, you know how much singaporeans are paying now? Foreign cars, get WEEKENDS/PUBLIC holidays FREE + 10 FREE weekdays. If you convert the 80k COE to VEP, that would work out to be $33/day. (80k/240days/10) 240days is after deducting weekends and public holidays.

Obviously you too, miss the point. The point of COE system is putting cars out of reach from Singaporeans.
The fact that we are all complaining proves that it works.. to some level :bsmilie:
Yes there is a leak in the system which allow msian cars entering at cheaper rates, so maybe its time for the government to review the rates.

A car is used for transport, there are other ways to curb the car's population.
NASA spend $$$ to invent a special pen to write in space, the Russian just use a pencil.

Malaysians aren't getting a discount. Just check with my neighbor the Malaysian PR Towkay with the BMW 7 series , SKH plate :p

I am sure he paid up all the 100% of the COE to own the SKH car. However , for Malaysians operating Malaysian registered vehicles in Singapore though...

Somehow I feel he is contradicting.....people who can afford never blink because deep down they know it became more exclusive and less competition on the road and parking lot .....lol...

He is not that type who like COE because it makes them exclusive. The COE system is loaded in favour of the super rich.
He objects to the COE idea that he needs to pay for a temporary 10 year permission.

Last edited:
80K coe is no peanuts. For many, it is not expensive either.

The problem is that coe got too cheap in the last few years. This resulted in 2 main consequences that lead to wrong expectation.

Firstly, people started to expect coe to be affordable for everyone. Expensive or cheap is just a matter of expectation vs reality. If coe had remained as a flat line 50k from the 90's till now, people will not complain so much. Kinda like putting a list price of 4.8k for a 5d3 and then retailing it for 4.2k vs putting the list price as 3.5k but retailing it as 4.2k. Doesn't take a genius to figure out which will produce happier customers who think they got a good deal.

Secondly, and more importantly, the plentiful, and thus, cheap, coe towards the end of last decade put almost everyone on the road. Everyone expects to be on the road in their private car. This lead to the congestion...and then less coe, and then less scrap, and then less quota...and thats what we have today.

Pardon me for saying this, but if one cannot even afford a used bread and butter car that can be had for about 5-6k/yr, then perhaps one should really reconsider the bigger problem of how is he going to feed his car and family.

In the last few years when COE got "cheap" like even a $50 or a $200 or for that matter, 10k, quite a few people who could not afford a car previously became car owners. And then, their friends, colleagues, relatives and so forth began to consider driving too. And then, in the last few years, this COE crept up so darn fast and so, cars become unaffordable liao.

Now, the high COE would stop those who wished to start owning and driving and got disappointed.

Another category of small car owners are those whose cars are like 8.5year old or older. They get jittery and wonder if they could afford to replace their car.

For the rest, well, those who have been driving for more than 20years and have seen COE gone up and down over the years would still continue to buy car and drive and continue to grumble in forums and coffeeshops and at parties and dinners etc.

The COE system is more complex than we think. Car dealers & private traders of COEs are very much responsible in this lucrative business.

I don't have the time to work out the figures but with some data collection, it's not difficult to work out how much income it generates. I must say that at least we have quality roads & working traffic lights to use. For those who travel, you'll know that many countries including developed nations have terrible roads especially in these few recession years.

In the last few years when COE got "cheap" like even a $50 or a $200 or for that matter, 10k, quite a few people who could not afford a car previously became car owners. And then, their friends, colleagues, relatives and so forth began to consider driving too. And then, in the last few years, this COE crept up so darn fast and so, cars become unaffordable liao.

Now, the high COE would stop those who wished to start owning and driving and got disappointed.

Another category of small car owners are those whose cars are like 8.5year old or older. They get jittery and wonder if they could afford to replace their car.

For the rest, well, those who have been driving for more than 20years and have seen COE gone up and down over the years would still continue to buy car and drive and continue to grumble in forums and coffeeshops and at parties and dinners etc.

you left out irritated business owners who have to consider transportation arrangements.

you left out irritated business owners who have to consider transportation arrangements.

This is where the COE fails miserably as a mechanism to control the number of cars. The COE is supposed to be a luxury tax imposed on the person who enjoys the luxury. Business owners are in a position to pass on the COE cost to consumers. As long as the consumer has to buy the product or service of a business owner, COE will never stop any business owner from continuing to buy cars.

This is where the COE fails miserably as a mechanism to control the number of cars. The COE is supposed to be a luxury tax imposed on the person who enjoys the luxury. Business owners are in a position to pass on the COE cost to consumers. As long as the consumer has to buy the product or service of a business owner, COE will never stop any business owner from continuing to buy cars.

The COE is a system to tax the people so the they can able the pay the millions of dollars to civil servants who will then be not CORRUPTED..........

the only matter then is the price elasticity of demand for the good or service provided. very few are truly price inelastic

COE is good way to control car population but the quota had been screwed by goondus previously, resulting in this sky high price.
If I am remember 10 years ago, when COE still relative high there few companies running car share program. One I remember clearly is Kah Share, I almost joined one before I decided to buy my own car. What happen during cheap COE era all these car sharing companies went under, so about 10 years ago we are on good track but who made to COE down spirall and now skyrocketing price? Was just plain misjudgment or there was ulterior motive. Anyway reality now is too many cars on the road and lack of parking space start becoming problems now.

Shizuma said:
the only matter then is the price elasticity of demand for the good or service provided. very few are truly price inelastic

For the really rich, every of their demand is price inelastic. That is why I am terribly concerned. Can simple things in life, such as a car, be priced out of the average Joe? Apparently, it can.

To price people out of doing something is effective - but it does develop resentment.

I am gravely disturbed by the prices and the supply of COE. It seems ridiculously low for a population of almost 6 million.

For the really rich, every of their demand is price inelastic. That is why I am terribly concerned. Can simple things in life, such as a car, be priced out of the average Joe? Apparently, it can.

To price people out of doing something is effective - but it does develop resentment.

I am gravely disturbed by the prices and the supply of COE. It seems ridiculously low for a population of almost 6 million.

i think the main grouse for many is that it is too expensive to drive, but the public transport infrastructure is neither comfortable nor reliable

Shizuma said:
i think the main grouse for many is that it is too expensive to drive, but the public transport infrastructure is neither comfortable nor reliable

lol. they are just spoiled. They comparing with which country one.

coe prices are not high enough as the number of people buying new cars is not abating.

coe prices are not high enough as the number of people buying new cars is not abating.

you need to rewind to earlier posts.

expensive COEs merely allocate COEs and new vehicles to those who can afford it.

What is 150k for those who are buying supercars like Ferrari, Lambos, etc ?