2011 Pop Awards: K5 - The Best Photo Gear of the Year for Outdoorsy!

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
Source: 2011 Pop Awards: The Best Photo Gear of the Year | Popular Photography

What a body! Heavily sealed against dust and moisture, the K-5 was literally blizzard-tested by our staffers and it passed splendidly. Its magnesium-alloy shell is covered in very grippable rubber and is nicely contoured for human hands. The 16.3MP K-5 is also Pentax’s first K-series DSLR to achieve an Excellent overall image quality rating, maintaining Excellent resolution up through ISO 12,800.

pantaxk5.jpg

:thumbsup: to a great camera which is still going strong despite the competition that has come out in late 2011. :cool:

Glad to see that Pentax strategy of providing a true photographic tool to photographers is paying off :)

Awesome!!! Pentax -> a bit different, every bit special! Woot!

pentaxian rejoice. this is the starting of better things to come. hopefully by the next model we will not be the underdog brand anymore

pentaxian rejoice. this is the starting of better things to come. hopefully by the next model we will not be the underdog brand anymore

Pentax brand is not underdog. It's just the other brands that are overrated :cool:

Ah crap... And the prices is so gonna be jacked up.. Especially 3rd party lenses... LOL!

Ooh sorry... I meant legacy lenses.. Hee!!

Congrats again Pentaxian! The pace is picking up now..now anxiously waiting for the Pentax APS-C mirrorless offering :0

I dont know why Nikon D7000 got 4 awards while K5 got only one +_+

ndhonghai said:
I dont know why Nikon D7000 got 4 awards while K5 got only one +_+

I guess it's got to do with higher mass votes? *shrugs*

I have a friend who is a well-meaning D7000 user ask me, if WR is important to you, why don't you buy a D7000? I suppose it comes down to people not taking the time to appreciate and learn the specs of the camera.

I had my K-5 since early Dec last year, "upgrading" from a K-x. I bought it rather urgently as i was headed out to the Sahara Desert and i keep hearing how fine sand will be a problem, etc. Went to Egypt with the K-x a year before that but we weren't really out in the desert.

Hand-on-heart, there were absolutely no regrets i bought my K-5 a week before the price went down. The sand in the Sahara was unbelievably fine and gets to the most insiduous of places (and not just camera equipment, i'm still digging sahara sand out of my shoes, 4 months on). I was stumbling alot and all too often, my K-5 (with 18-135WR) and my LX was hitting the sand. But when there were times when the dials become slightly gritty when i turned them, nothing failed, no major issues with dust on sensor. It was amazing after all that, that the 18-135WR's zoom ring turned just as smoothly.

In contrast, the better half's Canon S95 hit the sand (screen first) just once on a dune and the lens jammed for awhile when retracting when turned off. Luckily it was only once and there was no permanent issue. My AF560FGZ, whilst it never touched the ground, became really gritty around the lock ring and the flash card when it was turned/pulled out.

So in harsh environments, the K-5 with a WR lens is A1, bar none.

Best Outdoors DSLR? HELL YEAH!!