2008 Economy Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silence Sky

Deregistered
Sep 5, 2006
We are entering in the contraction phase of a business cycle.
Recession has already shown us its ugly face, how much worse do you think it is going to get?

How would you response to this recession?
Any great strategy to share with us?

I find it abit funny, when recession is looming, we can have so many price hike at one time.

buying a dslr considered buying a luxury item or not? is yes, yeah, we're in recession.

Got guts, can buy some stocks now :)
Somemore, buy lower than Warren Buffet..

Got guts, can buy some stocks now :)
Somemore, buy lower than Warren Buffet..

Seriuos?? But Buffet can tahan to loss..I cannot.
What stock you think can buy now.
Aimimg at Raffles Medical, think alot will be hospitalise soon if things don't improve soon.

Can anyone recall, where is the turning for STI during the 97 crisis. At 800 points?:dunno:

Make your decisions long term.
Ride out the storm.
Cut down going to motorshows.
For XMMs are bad for your blood pressure.
Eat less salt and sugar and don't worry.
As you'll only lose more hairs.
Shoot with what you have.
And dream about one day
When every new digicam has HD movies
and affordable on one month of Instant noodle diet.
Most of all be happy.

price hike is to betta insulate some against it? :think:

Can anyone recall, where is the turning for STI during the 97 crisis. At 800 points?:dunno:

From July 1997 it started crashing from 1900 points and left with a mere of 800 points by Sept 1998.

I would say from 1999 January, the market started to pick up again.

Just imagine DBS was only worth $3.50 in 1997...It's about hovering around $17.00 plus now....

Make your decisions long term.
Ride out the storm.
Cut down going to motorshows.
For XMMs are bad for your blood pressure.
Eat less salt and sugar and don't worry.
As you'll only lose more hairs.
Shoot with what you have.
And dream about one day
When every new digicam has HD movies
and affordable on one month of Instant noodle diet.
Most of all be happy.

:thumbsup::sweatsm:

Let's dig out some history.

By Godzilla:
1997 It took one year+ to recovery.
From July 1997 it started crashing from 1900 points and left with a mere of 800 points by Sept 1998.
I would say from 1999 January, the market started to pick up again.
Just imagine DBS was only worth $3.50 in 1997...It's about hovering around $17.00 plus now....

1987 It took three years to recover. Turned for the better when US attacK Iraq.
DJIA_Black_Monday_1987.svg

1929 The Great Depression Recover within one Year
"The stock market turned upward in early 1930, returning to early 1929 levels by April, though still almost 30 percent below the peak of September 1929"

Last edited:
DJIA seeing lows of 99. Imo, most US/EU stocks very attractive price now but still see more downside :confused:

Waiting for cue to go in and BBB!

Seriuos?? But Buffet can tahan to loss..I cannot.
What stock you think can buy now.
Aimimg at Raffles Medical, think alot will be hospitalise soon if things don't improve soon.

I went to second hand car dealers last weekend. just to check how bad the market is.
The first thing they asked me is, am i taking a full loan.
Then they went on to explain that banks are starting to reject applicants asking for full loan.

Has credit crunch hit our shore? :dunno:

Last edited:
Live simply.
Do not throw money around.

Do not anyhow "invest" your life savings to dubious wannabee trusts and "xxxx-bonds".

If others want to talk big and act rich, let them - do not follow.

I wonder what's the result for Temasek Holdings...will it lose all our taxpayers' money in dubious investions which have gone sour from this? :bsmilie:

Live simply.
Do not throw money around.

Do not anyhow "invest" your life savings to dubious wannabee trusts and "xxxx-bonds".

If others want to talk big and act rich, let them - do not follow.

My advise is:
When people ask you to invest, you first think Durai and Ming Yi should be on your second tought, after that than you make a decision.

My advise is:
When people ask you to invest, you first think Durai and Ming Yi should be on your second tought, after that than you make a decision.

yah they sure make good advisors!:rolleyes: anybody who has lots of charisma betta stay far far away.:devil:

Maybe... keep money in the safe box, if bank happen to collapse (touch wood) the money still in the safe box. :embrass:

Maybe... keep money in the safe box, if bank happen to collapse (touch wood) the money still in the safe box. :embrass:

Unless the money becomes banana money ...

Anyone here read/studied the 1929 Great Depression?

This is Great Depression 2.0. The causes are similar, mainly money. (What is Money?)

(But many are trying to say it is not, perhaps for psychological comfort and assurance, or just self delusionary, as thinking about bad things is bad for feng shui perhaps.)

Version 1.0 led to WWII and a new world order thereafter, and its effect lingered for decades.

Version 2.0 has only just started and the end is not in sight yet. Maybe a new superpower will arise from Uncle Sam's ashes.

What is the best strategy in this changing world order?

I think nobody knows.

People still debate over the causes and cures for Version 1.0.

Money may be altogether useless.

People have been stocking up on gold - the tangible traditional store of value. It at least has some uses, like make wires, and not like the paper in money, which cannot even be used as toilet paper. But gold is just another piece of metal like iron. And what is "value"? Can it be stored in any thing?

Maybe in the new world order there is no money.

Status
Not open for further replies.