2002 World Cup lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerome

Did u watch the Germany-USA match? So boring. The Germans were lousy. Their defence is bad and 1/2 the time they were running around in pieces. Just lucky them US didn't score given those few chances they had. If England had played against either team, they could have easily beaten them. Anyway, US ain't a solid team but Germany? Qualified for the Semis? Nahhh... They don't deserve it. I think the English have fought well to make it to the quarter finals.

Well, what can I say... Soccer can be cruel. England thrashed Germany 5-1 during the qualifier round. The irony is the damn Germans with their poorer skills are thru to the semis. Just England's bad luck to have met Brazil so early. To the fair, the latter is a more creative team but I just thot the match yesterday could have been the Final! Even if England doesn't deserve this year's Cup, they should have at least been in the semis. USA, Korea (much as I'd like to support these Asians but not this far) and Germany are clearly the weaker teams that don't deserve the semis.

The World Cup does teach us several things. 1stly, that you may not always reach the top even if you're good. Translated, even if you're hardworking, you may not climb to the top. 2ndly, lousy pple can get to the top. (Think of bosses.) 3rdly, if you are good in the past doesn't mean you'll be good now. And conversely. That means: "The past does not equal the future". (Think France, Argentina, Portugal's early exit and newbies USA, Korea, Japan, etc qualifying far.) 4thly, life is sometimes unfair and cruel. Others have it easy. (Why not Brazil vs Argentina in the first round? But Brazil-China, OH MAN!!!) While others have it hard. (England vs Argentina/Sweden, then Brazil in the quarter finals.)Finally, it's not how good you are that matters most but how pple (referees) think you are.

The WC is significant to me as it's held every 4 years. Every WC signifies a different phase in my life. Hmmm, looks like it's another 4 long years to wish England could give more decent football. With more luck on their side then, that is.

beckham will be old tho by then :D

Originally posted by Jerome
Did u watch the Germany-USA match? So boring. The Germans were lousy. Their defence is bad and 1/2 the time they were running around in pieces. Just lucky them US didn't score given those few chances they had. If England had played against either team, they could have easily beaten them. Anyway, US ain't a solid team but Germany? Qualified for the Semis? Nahhh... They don't deserve it. I think the English have fought well to make it to the quarter finals.

Well Germany may not be as good, but actually i didn't think the English played all that well against Brazil either. They were pretty uninspired, and even when they had an 11 vs 10 men advantage, they look hopelessly outlassed. Owen's goal was from a defensive lapse by the Bazilians; other than that, they didn't look like they seriously threatened the Brazilian goal.

their win over Argentina was also through penalties. Their other group matches were draws. They only looked good against Denmark with that 3-0 win.

disclaimer: i'm not an England fan and i think beckam is overrated ;p so read wat i say in light of that ;)

Originally posted by Red Dawn

Well Germany may not be as good, but actually i didn't think the English played all that well against Brazil either. They were pretty uninspired, and even when they had an 11 vs 10 men advantage, they look hopelessly outlassed. Owen's goal was from a defensive lapse by the Bazilians; other than that, they didn't look like they seriously threatened the Brazilian goal.

their win over Argentina was also through penalties. Their other group matches were draws. They only looked good against Denmark with that 3-0 win.

disclaimer: i'm not an England fan and i think beckam is overrated ;p so read wat i say in light of that ;)

Beck - failed to rally the English team on as the captain.

Scholes and Butt - Both were just ordinary with Scholes disappointing especially. Steven Gerrard would have done a better job.

Seaman - Bad. England needs a new keeper ;)

Yes Beck is over rated :D And England doesn't deserve to be in the Semis.

Yes yes the Koreans going to beat Germany to go into the final.

Originally posted by Royzzz
Yes yes the Koreans going to beat Germany to go into the final.

The Italy game was suggestive, but anyone who saw the out call against Spain right before they scored knows that there is something more to Korea's soccer game than skill...:devil:

Originally posted by OpenLens

The Italy game was suggestive, but anyone who saw the out call against Spain right before they scored knows that there is something more to Korea's soccer game than skill...:devil:

SOmetimes there might be a little favouritism towards the Koreans team. But maybe it is just unavoidable as the officials may get influence by the home crowds to favour the home team.

SOmetimes there might be a little favouritism towards the Koreans team. But maybe it is just unavoidable as the officials may get influence by the home crowds to favour the home team.

In part I agree with you, but it is hard to avoid the political angle of it

Originally posted by OpenLens

In part I agree with you, but it is hard to avoid the political angle of it

Wow I did read the game as far as you. Maybe what you said is true. This World Cup is not just for show of sportsmanship but also to strengthen the ties among the many nations.

Wow I did read the game as far as you. Maybe what you said is true. This World Cup is not just for show of sportsmanship but also to strengthen the ties among the many nations.

...or for the exchange of a FIFA position for a presidency? Just too convinient for me...too many "lucky" calls over the past few days. As for the "home crowd" idea, I guess this only works in Korea. Japan had the home crowd energy, but none of the refs at their matches got into the same spirit as the refs at Koreas last 2 matches.

Hey, I am a U.S. supported and it shocked me (in a GOOD way ;) ) that they got into the quarter finals, especially since most people in the States haven't the slightest clue that there even is a World Cup. But, even being a fan, I would have been frustrated if the U.S. team had gotten the same kind of singular treatment as S. Korea. Sometimes you have to put aside feelings of support, or pride, or nationalism, or whatever and just take a neutral, unblinded look at what is there. When I watched the game against Italy and again today, I honestly wanted S. Korea to win because they are the underdogs. I even made NT$3000 off my sis-in-law today :D. But, when people look back at their performance after the Cup has finished, what will be said about the S. Korean team? Already the international news reports I have seen off of CNN and SkyNews are making this a focus, rightly or wrongly. High-level exchanging of political favors, convinient calls by the refs....you have to agree that this is the kind of news that people love to watch.

Well, Red Dawn, how can your disclaimer be one when you put down England and said it clearly you're not an English fan?

I'm not saying England deserved to win over Brazil but it's more of a pity they met a trifle too early in the Quarter Finals. Everyone who followed the WC so far would agree Brazil is the top choice overall.

There are pple who play down England bcos the goal they scored against Argentina was thru penalty, Owen was lucky it was a mistake by Brazil, etc. But then, why didn't Argentina equalize that 1 penalty? Why did Brazil make that mistake? A mistake is a mistake and that amounts to a lack of skill, even momentarily. The most unjustified result is when a referee cries foul when clearly there isn't one or disallows a goal for some dubious reasons. The Italians can vouch for that.

How come no one said much about the Germans getting to play against teams like half-dead Saudi and inexperienced US, and Brazil getting hopeless China (DUHH!)?

This is the weirdest World Cup. I foresee a boring and predictable semis, just as we've just had a boring Senegal-Turkey. Can't quite name a solid team in this World Cup other than Brazil. There's just something weird about this World Cup with all the top names going out so soon and a team like Korea making thru to the semis...

Given the limp playing of the present Germans (I'd love to watch the Germany that played in 1990), it'll probably be a Brazil-Korea final.

If England doesn't deserve to be in the semis, as zhapchit says, I think so do Germany, Turkey and Korea (DUH?!!!). Which leaves Brazil as the winner in a walkover. :)

I don't think Beckham will be too old in 2006. He'll still be in his prime. I think his free kicks are over-rated as many other players can do well too. But you have to admit his crosses and passes are pin-point accurate. Another plus point is that he packages himself more than just a footballer. He's a celebrity, given his well chiselled looks, with a famous wife to add to that. :)

Originally posted by Jerome

I don't think Beckham will be too old in 2006. He'll still be in his prime. I think his free kicks are over-rated as many other players can do well too. But you have to admit his crosses and passes are pin-point accurate. Another plus point is that he packages himself more than just a footballer. He's a celebrity, given his well chiselled looks, with a famous wife to add to that. :)

this world cup is just crazy. you can be playing the best football on earth but you might not win at the end of the day. Like they always say, the ball is round. So anything can happen.

Credit to the Koreans for reaching being the first Asian team to reach the semis. But i feel the bulk of it should go to one guy, Gus Hiddink(sp?) the Dutch coach. irony ironyk Netherlands aint even in the Finals.

Beckham, he squeaks! :D omg

Status
Not open for further replies.