2 wk Chiangrai/Golden Triangle trip, dig imaging req???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hentaitic

Dec 25, 2002
www.pbase.com
Now I have the Canon A40, 8 x Sanyo 2100mAh NiMh AA batteries, and 2 x Ridata 128 Mb CF.

Now, in April I will be in Chiangmai/Chiangrai/Golden Triangle for Songkran for about 2 weeks. So if I were to shoot 256 shots in a day(plus some 10sec movie clips), that will be 256MB a day(2 x 128Mb CF). A set of 4 AA's and my 2 x 128Mb would suffice for a day right?

However, for the entire 2 weeks, when it comes to digital memory and battery requirement, how shld I prepare? A laptop is totally out of the question.

My leanings are towards:

Set 1: (optimistic about the IT amenities over there)
Memory: USB CF Reader for downloading into Cybercafe's computer to b burnt onto CD-Rs
Battery: 8 x 2100mAh AA NiMH with the Sanyo charger to be recharged in the guesthouse or in our Thai host's home.

Set 2: (not optimistic at all about the amenities)
Memory: Buy an X-drive with at least 10Gb hardrive with its rechargable lithium battery fully charged(will it last me 2 weeks without recharging?)
Battery: Shld I get the Maha S$85 charger with a 12V car adapter, so at least I could charge in any truck/off-roader I can find over there?

Set 3: Please advise... my dear GURUs!

I've been to Chiangmai/changrai/maesai recently for a 4 day trip. Had 3 x 128mb, used up about 2 1/2 memory cards, but I took at a lower resolution to ration it out,.

In ChiangMai, there are at least 2 photoshops that has services to print digital photos or downloading of your pictures from your memory card into a CDrom.

The time taken to burn to CDrom is a few hours for 1 shop and the other takes 1 day, both costs around SGD 9 if i remember.

As for charging ur batts, make sure u've got the correct pin adaptor to plug ur batts in (flat 2 pin i think). Depending on what mileage u get for your batts, make sure you've got at least 1 or 2 spare sets. I brought about 4 sets there just in case I couldn't charge in time.

Not sure about the amenities outside of Chiangmai though, but if u're staying in chiangmai mostly, shouldn't be that bad. It's quite civilised :)

Originally posted by sljm
better be not too optimistic or .... get a film camera ??

I had a blast of a time with my A40 in Hadyai recently in particular with the video recording function of the camera. Can do wonders in that 10sec actually.

So a film camera would be out. But still I would be bringing my Canon Water-resistant film camera for the Songkran-Water festival in Chiangmai/Chiangrai.

Originally posted by taicw
I've been to Chiangmai/changrai/maesai recently for a 4 day trip. Had 3 x 128mb, used up about 2 1/2 memory cards, but I took at a lower resolution to ration it out,.

In ChiangMai, there are at least 2 photoshops that has services to print digital photos or downloading of your pictures from your memory card into a CDrom.

The time taken to burn to CDrom is a few hours for 1 shop and the other takes 1 day, both costs around SGD 9 if i remember.

As for charging ur batts, make sure u've got the correct pin adaptor to plug ur batts in (flat 2 pin i think). Depending on what mileage u get for your batts, make sure you've got at least 1 or 2 spare sets. I brought about 4 sets there just in case I couldn't charge in time.

Not sure about the amenities outside of Chiangmai though, but if u're staying in chiangmai mostly, shouldn't be that bad. It's quite civilised :)

many thanks! Your advise is priceless!
I think my 2 x 128MB would not be enough even if I were to shoot with a lower resolution.
Thinking of renting a X-drive as recommended by folks at hardwareforum. As for the batteries, I wud get more AA sets then.
Had taken a look at your pbase pics, make me all the more excited about my trip now. Thanks so much for sharing. Btw, what camera did u use for the Chiangmai trip?

If I were to be staying at homes of the locals in Chiangrai, would it be possible to charge my batteries and X-drive then? as you've probably guess I wouldn't be in Chiangmai most of the time. Any more tips to share?

hentaitic,

please let me know if you require Maha chargers (with/without batteries), I can give you a special price for them.

We also offer the Nixvue Vista (Visual Storage Album) for rental. Nixvue Vista is better than X-drive, as it has an LCD screen and Windows Explorer-like interface to view your photos and ensure that your files are successfully copied to the harddisk. On the X-drive or X-drive II, there is no way to view files to confirm that the copy was successful.

Please call me at 96226876 to find out more. :)

Originally posted by EastGear
hentaitic,

please let me know if you require Maha chargers (with/without batteries), I can give you a special price for them.

We also offer the Nixvue Vista (Visual Storage Album) for rental. Nixvue Vista is better than X-drive, as it has an LCD screen and Windows Explorer-like interface to view your photos and ensure that your files are successfully copied to the harddisk. On the X-drive or X-drive II, there is no way to view files to confirm that the copy was successful.

Please call me at 96226876 to find out more. :)

Hmm, do u hv any 'lubang' for the "Image Tank" huh? Becos it can be powered from 6 x AA batt by the powerpack. Also can be powered from the car charger. Just like the Maha AA charger. As such I am really considering the Maha charger. Need sometime just to think... and BUDGET!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.