2 weeks old newbie need help here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathbringer

Dec 17, 2008
Hi all,

Was wondering why i have such a blur pic despite i used a tripod and timer. it's taken at f/22, 30", ISO 400/800.

Can't post pic so may i add my link here:

"http://www.geocities.com/holely_pants/"

Looks like it is out of focus.

Are you sure you used autofocus? If you used autofocus, the focus may be wrong. Focusing at night is difficult for the camera.

Try manual focus using your viewfinder.

Plus, make sure your tripod is real steady. Pressing the shutter-release button may shake the camera slightly.

Another note: You might not need to use f/22 even in night shots. F/22 can lead to diffraction.

Can't access the link, why don't you tell us what you were shooting at f22 for 30s?

Can't access your site, best to use a proper image hosting service. Read the FAQ.

That being said, what on earth are you shooting at f/22 for? Most lenses only maintain good sharpness up to f/16 or so. f/22 is just begging for lens diffraction to kick in.

can't access your photo site also. As most mentioned, you will need to check the focus is correct or not, then can try shooting at Apperture mode at f/8, and keep ISO low like 100 or 200 to reduce noice. If you like it brighter or darker, just adjust exposure accordingly.

Can't access the link, why don't you tell us what you were shooting at f22 for 30s?

I was thinking the sameting and if he is a newbie... well sounds like what newbie might do.

If you are shooting something at 30 second (30") if your tripod is not heavy and solid but one of them think legs and shaky looking and on a unstable floor. It is not going to help.

Was the TS shooting in manual mode? In 30 secs alot of things can happen to the subject... :think:

Please do post your pics to have a look. 30s with ISO 400/800 is very bright, you probably dun need such settings.

hi all. managed to access the link and decided to post it here for the ease of everyone. hope TS don mind :)

EXIF was included.
so post it here too.
Shutter: 25sec
Aperture: f/16
ISO: 800

IMG_0156-1.jpg

hi all. managed to access the link and decided to post it here for the ease of everyone. hope TS don mind :)

EXIF was included.
so post it here too.
Shutter: 25sec
Aperture: f/16
ISO: 800

IMG_0156-1.jpg

happened to me before. took me 3 weekends of attempts before i realised my stupid mistake.

1. focus on the distant buildings. (this i got it right)
2. use f/11, good enough. (this i got it ok)
3. use 15 seconds, dont over expose your photos (this i found to be the producing the best looking pics)
4. use ISO 100. (this i got it terribly wrong, photos all turned out like what you had)

Last edited:
The EXIF differs from what the TS says?

Well on the shrunk pic, it looks ok. But on full size, i'm sure it is OOF.

The EXIF differs from what the TS says?

Well on the shrunk pic, it looks ok. But on full size, i'm sure it is OOF.

uh, yeah. i just copied straight from EXIF. on full it does look OOF on the buildings.

wow, thanks for all the advice, i am liking it here already.

will try all the suggestions again.

btw, under what situations do we need f/16 and above?

In the pic OOF is not the worst. I feel that the noise is more of a issue than anything else. Use the lowest ISO setting will prolly improve the pic. Adjust the F number till you get a satisfactory pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.